OCI - New York Tracker

Hi Guys,
I had sent my application in first week of March. The acknowledgment date is March 17 and photos scanned on 20 March.

I am planning for a travel to India in first week of April. Is there a chance that my documents can be reached to NY in first week of April?

If my application is approved, Can I travel to India without getting a visa even though I don't have OCI card yet? Can I pick my approved OCI in India then?

Thanks.

It depends when your documents are dispatched. And no, you can't travel to India without a visa sticker (whether U/OCI or tourist) in your passport - approval of OCI is not enough and you can't pickup your OCI in India.

Hi akgarg,
Thanks for your reply. My case is moving forward - Granted and printed on March 25th.

I will wait for it to be dispatched, then it will be only 4-5 days typically?

My application was acknowledged on 3/6 and registration was granted on 3/15 and there is no more movement in my application since then. My photo/signature was scanned on 3/13. Documents are not yet printed. Should I be concerned?

Application Mailed: 2/23/2009
Application Received: 2/25/2009
Acknowledged: 3/6/2009
Photo/Signature Scanned: 3/13/2009
Registration Granted: 3/15/2009

Hi,
It sounds discouraging as my travel depends on my OCI.

In your case, if you don't have immidiate use of OCI, I will say you could wait for some time and no need to get concerned as it's altready granted.

Other experienced people can tell more.

This forum is very useful
I read all the relevent posts and applied for my OCI
family of 4 applied for OCI
--------------
Here is the timeline
Date Of Acknowledgment 25-FEB-2009
Registration Status Granted On 06-MAR-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 27-FEB-2009
Documents Printed On 06-MAR-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 13-MAR-2009
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 18-MAR-2009
------------------
I started on Feb 25, 2009
Used Walgreens to print the photos (it was better than CVS !!)
Spent less than two dollar on digital photo print
I received my OCI card and US passports and cancelled Indian passport on 3/26/2009

Thanks everyone who contributed lot of useful info in this site

My case progress so far

Application sent first week of March
Date of Acknowledgment 17th March
Photos scanned 20 March
Granted 25 March
Printed 25 March
Dispatched 30 March
Not at NYCGI yet.

Something interesting happened this afternoon. Someone from the NY Consulate called me on my cell and asked that I submit a new photo since they are not able to scan the photos I sent. My online status doesn't show anything.

Pictures & Background

Something interesting happened this afternoon. Someone from the NY Consulate called me on my cell and asked that I submit a new photo since they are not able to scan the photos I sent. My online status doesn't show anything.

Couple of questions:
- Were the pictures on a white background?
- Did you print them on an Inkjet printer? It seems that the dpi resolutin has to be high of the inkjet printer
- How about size? 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm
(well 3 questions!)

Regards,
sv

Our OCI is all done. Family of 4 applied together and the timeline is

Application sent first week of March
Date of Acknowledgment 17th March
Photos scanned 20 March
Granted 25 March
Printed 25 March
Dispatched 30 March
Reached NY 3rd April

OCI Received 4/7/2009.
Sent docu to NY 3/30/3009
Documents received in NY 3/28/2009
OCI approved 03/23/2009
OCI Ack 03/18/2009
OCI applied 02/23/2009

Just curious when they call if caller id shows up. I sent my application on March 26, it hasn't been acknowledged yet. I checked with the bank and the check has not been cashed. We never pickup the phone unless we see a caller ID. I hope they havn't been calling and not leaving messages. I was going to pickup so I never sent money for return mailing.
I am wondering if I should write a letter and give them my cell phone.

Just curious when they call if caller id shows up. I sent my application on March 26, it hasn't been acknowledged yet. I checked with the bank and the check has not been cashed. We never pickup the phone unless we see a caller ID. I hope they havn't been calling and not leaving messages. I was going to pickup so I never sent money for return mailing.
I am wondering if I should write a letter and give them my cell phone.

Caller ID showed up as a New York number. You can call them between 2PM-4PM on a weekday at the number given on their website for OCI. You cannot leave a message for them since it seems like their voice mailbox is full. If it goes to VM, hangup and just keep on dialing that number again and again. I was able to talk to someone recently after about 10 tries. They are nice to talk, but eager to get off the phone saying the application is in the process. Insist that they check your case with the reference number you have from submitting the online application.

I have the same problem as sweetie. I applied for OCI at the end of March. I need my OCI before 20 May to go to India. I am leaving for CHINA on 10 May, and need to get the OCI before then OR exactly on 19 May when I return from China.

my current status:
Date Of Acknowledgment 02-APR-2009
Registration Status UnderProcess
Photo/Signature Scanned On 16-APR-2009
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

How likely is it that my OCI will be in NYC before 10 May?

Can I send my wife to CGI-NY to get my OCI sticker - she is not an Indian but has a travel visa? If I can, does she have to have any special papers to get the sticker?

How long does it take to get the sticker when you go to CGI-NYC?

Looks like you need both morning and evening to get the OCI sticker, so it is basically a 3/4 day affair.

If my wife has not applied for an OCI, and is not listed on my application. Can she pick-up my OCI sticker with my passport and the print outs from the website? Does she need a letter from me? Maybe a copy of our marriage certificate?

I had applied as family of 3, except one all got granted. One was pending, I got email quoting all 3 ref numbers are approved. One applicant the status still said inprocess. In email there was a note if withing 4 days of 'scanned' its not printed we have to resend photo and signature. resnt still awaiting approval.

wife pick-up OCI if she is not applicant?

STATUS UPDATE:
Registration Status Granted On 27-APR-2009

So at least it was granted. Hopefully it will be printed tomorrow.

Anyone know if my wife can present my passport for OCI even though she didn't apply for an OCI?

STATUS UPDATE:
Registration Status Granted On 27-APR-2009

So at least it was granted. Hopefully it will be printed tomorrow.

Anyone know if my wife can present my passport for OCI even though she didn't apply for an OCI?

I am sure she can. Just give her an authorization letter. If her driver's license has the same address as in the OCI application that will be additional proof of identity.

photos for CGINY

Hi Guys,

1. were there 3 additional photos that need to be sent alongwith 1 each affixed on applications?

2. What do I do to send these additional photos?(I dont want to wait since they will sit on it instead of letting me know)

Thanks in advance

Hi Guys,

1. were there 3 additional photos that need to be sent alongwith 1 each affixed on applications?

2. What do I do to send these additional photos?(I dont want to wait since they will sit on it instead of letting me know)

Thanks in advance

They don't seem to ask for extra photos specifically, but seems like many people are sending it so I sent it also. I got it done at epassport/costco and so it wasn't very expensive. Why take a chance with the indian bureaucracy.

I just used paperclips and attached it.

My status so far
App Received at NY: March 29, 2009
Acknowledged: Apr 22, 2009
Photo Scanned: Apr 30, 2009

My timeline below. Thanks for all the helpful posts on this forum. My photos had to be scanned multiple times since there were some issues and I had to resend them.

Application Mailed: 2/23/2009
Application Received by CGNY: 2/25/2009
Acknowledged: 3/6/2009
Photo/Signature Scanned: 3/13/2009
Registration Granted: 3/15/2009
Photo/Signature Scanned: 3/23/2009
Photo/Signature Scanned: 4/9/2009
Documents Printed: 4/9/2009
Documents Dispatched: 4/16/2009
Received at CGNY: 4/23/2009
Passports Mailed to CGNY: 4/23/2009
Passports Received by CGNY: 4/25/2009