OCI - New York Tracker

usc08,

Dont worry. I also had one blank page. I submitted it along with the rest of the pages.

Good Luck,

Sayam

Thanks for response

Hi realnewbie,Sayam,
Thanks for your response. I removed the blank pages and submitted the good ones.
Good Luck.

Our OCI experience.

We received our US passports in the middle of October (Oct 16th?? maybe). I prepared the OCI package the same day as follows.

1. Visited http://mha.nic.in and click OCI under citizen services. There click online registration Filled Part A for all of us and printed Part A and B. Part B was filled manually and only one copy of Part B is required for all applicants. Part A is separate for each applicant.

2. I had already prepared the photos required for OCI as per the OCI specifications listed in http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/ICAO-Photo.pdf. The pictures were taken at home on a bright sunny day with blue background and no flash using our digital camera. I created the correct size of the picture online and printed them at a local photo store.

3. Made copies of our US passport, Indian passports and PIO Cards, kids birth certificates (if US citizens and PIO card holders) only the first 2 and last 2 pages. Clipped item 1 and item 3 as the first set of the application.

4. Now I made 2 copies of the online printed form Part A & B the passport and PIO Copies. One set was clipped together as the duplicate set of the application. Another set was saved so we know what was sent to the consulate.

5. On Part A we pasted 1 photo (that’s 2 photos since you have a send a duplicate copy as well. See item 4 above). So you need a total of 4 pictures.

6. On separate envelopes for each individual I put 2 additional photos. That’s 4 total photos for each individual and wrote on the outside ‘OCI PICTURES OF “AAAA BBBBBB”

7. We drove to the post office got a money order ($275 OCI fee, $25 if you already have PIO) for the required amount and attached it to the application. Put 2 sets of the application documents, 2 additional pictures, money order in one big envelope and write “ATTN: OCI cell” on the envelope and mail the application to:

The OCI Cell,
Consulate General of India,
3 E., 64th Street,
New York, NY 10065-7002

After mailing the application via express mail we started to check our acknowledgment status at http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

Our application was acknowledged on the 3rd week of November, photos scanned, granted, printed and dispatched on the last week of November. The consulate received the documents back on the first week of December.

We then sent our US passports, Indian passports and PIO card with a cover letter listing all our online file and reference numbers and requested that they send our US passports with OCI visa, booklet and cancelled Indian passports. I waited for 2 weeks and called the consulate and after several tries over the phone I talked to them and found out that our passports are on their way back to us which we received 2 days later. That ends our immigration journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI Oct filer update

Hi guys good luck to everyone who is waiting for OCI here is time line for my family
I applied all members separately

Self
Application Acknowledgement 29th Oct Approved and document received by consulate Dec 2nd
Wife
Application Acknowledgement 24th Oct Approved and document received by consulate Nov 22nd
Son
Application Acknowledgement 24th Nov Approved and document received by consulate Dec 23rd
Daughter
Application Acknowledgement 21th Nov Approved and document received by consulate Dec 19th
I dropped off US passport today at 9:30 at consulate and picked up with OCI Stamp and book at 1:00 PM

Do all the family members have to visit NYCGI to pick up OCI cards?

Hi hotguynyc and others,

I'm expecting my OCI cards to arrive at NYCGI any time soon. Instead of mailing our passports if we decide to visit NYCGI do I have to take all the family members that have applied for OCI or just one member is fine?

Thanks

Date Of Acknowledgment: 02-DEC-2008
Registration Status: Granted On 18-DEC-2008
Photo/Signature: Scanned On 12-DEC-2008
Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
Documents Printed On: 18-DEC-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: 19-DEC-2008
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

Hi hotguynyc and others,

I'm expecting my OCI cards to arrive at NYCGI any time soon. Instead of mailing our passports if we decide to visit NYCGI do I have to take all the family members that have applied for OCI or just one member is fine?

Thanks

Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

This question was answered on this forum just a few days ago, and can also be easily looked up on the CGINY web site. See http://forums.immigration.com/showpost.php?p=1992081&postcount=640

After you see message on oci application status that your documents are received by Indian consulate you can dropp off your passport at 9:30 am and pick up OCI and your passport back between 12:30 and 1:00 PM.
Only one family member can go and get this done.

Hope this helps

Timeline update

Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI: 25-DEC-2008

My docs reached CGINY. Went to CGINY and picked up OCI.
Dropped at 10:30 and collect back at 12:30 :)
Happy New Year to One and All

Received my OCI docs and the passports today (1/3/09) via USPS express mail. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences which really helped me breeze through the OCI process.
----------------------------------------------------------
OCI Application delivered: 11/14/08
OCI Acknowledged on 12/02/08
OCI Photos Scanned on 12/12/08
OCI Registration Status: Granted - 12/18/08
OCI Registration Status: Printed - 12/18/08
OCI Documents Dispatched From Delhi on: 12/19/08
OCI Documents Rcvd at CGINY: 12/25/08
OCI Recieved by Me: 01/03/09

Docs Dispatched.

Docs Dispatched on 12/29/08
Received Doc at CGINY: 01/06/09

I'm curious.

I filed for my 3 kids OCIs along with mine. Everything was sent together.
The ACK date was Dec 5, 08.
All 3 of my kids' OCIs are approved (picture scanned 12/18, granted 12/25, dispatched 12/29, Recd NY 01/06/2009)

Mine is not!!!
Mine has the same ACK date.. but the picture scan date is 12/30, which is a whole week behind the kid's..

My question is: has anyone have had this happen, where the kid's application was approved a tad before your's?

Thanks a bunch.

Did you have a name change? My wife did as part of USC.

Yes I had a name change as part of the USC process.. (maiden name to middle name).. in my case, I'm the wife!! :)

I'm wondering if that has something to do with the fact that all 3 of my kid's OCIs got approved and mine hasn't.. while they are practically getting their's through me.

I'm noticing by the time I write this post, both of you have received your's so I better contact the consulate to get things moving.
Thanks!

Yes I had a name change as part of the USC process.. (maiden name to middle name).. in my case, I'm the wife!! :)

I'm wondering if that has something to do with the fact that all 3 of my kid's OCIs got approved and mine hasn't.. while they are practically getting their's through me.

I'm noticing by the time I write this post, both of you have received your's so I better contact the consulate to get things moving.
Thanks!

mollyH: Did you submit any proof of name change along with your OCI application?

OCI Application related questions

Hi,

Can someone tell me their experience regarding the below points?

1. I have seen some people earlier in this thread getting as many as 11 printed pages in their OCI form with a couple of intermediate blank pages However, I get just a total of 7 pages, and out of these the last 3 are really instructions. I would assume we should just sumbit the first 4 pages. Anyone else sent just the first 4 and got their OCI?

2. If we have a name change, do we need to submit proof of name change? The new US pasport of course has the new name and Indian passport has the old name. But how do we 'link' the two? Anyone submit any separate proof or affidavit etc. showing old name -> new name?

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,
I have completed the online registration part. I can drop the papers at CGI-New York personally. Has anyone done that?

Thanks.

Thanks akgarg. I will send the application by post only as it's clearly stated on the site and would not like to take a chance of application being lost.

Thanks.

hello, looks like OCI has special requirements for photos. 35mm with light background etc.. where can we take such picutures in NYC? Thank you.