OCI - New York Tracker

Friends,

I am planning to apply for OCI for my family. Should I send individual cashier checks ($275 for me and my wife + $ 25 for the kid) or one cashier check for the whole family ($575)?

What have you observed in your experience?

Thank you for your help,
Sayam

Is fee for Kid is $25? I thought its $275 for everyone...

If you wish to save couple of hundred bucks then apply first PIO for your kids and later get it conveted into OCI by paying $25.

OCI Appl Mailed: Oct 27,2008
OCI App Received at CGNY: Oct 29,2008
OCI Acknowledged: Nov 19, 2008
Sinature Scanned: Nov 27, 2008
Registration Status: Granted Dec 4, 2008
Documents Printing Status:
Documents Dispatched:
Documents Received at CGNY:

Hello Friends,

I have seen several people going directly to the Consulate for passport stamping.

Did you have to take your whole family with you? or you went alone and got stamped for all the members of your family?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sayam

Hello Friends,

I have seen several people going directly to the Consulate for passport stamping.

Did you have to take your whole family with you? or you went alone and got stamped for all the members of your family?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sayam

No, there is no need for all family members to go.

And, as I and many other posters have said before - it will save everyone some time if people read all the instructions at the consulate web site where answers to such questions are readily available. For example, http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=177&partid=100&sub=sub6 says: Applicants are kindly requested to either visit the Consulate personally (no need of all applicants to be present, one person can bring all passports) ... It took me about 2-3 minutes to find this!

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI question

I am preparing to send my family OCI application. I read all posts in this thread and I did not find answer to my question. Please any recent filers can answer my question.

1. My kids were born in US, so previous nationality is not applicable for
them. In part A, do i need to select the previous country as US or skip the question?

I am preparing to send my family OCI application. I read all posts in this thread and I did not find answer to my question. Please any recent filers can answer my question.

1. My kids were born in US, so previous nationality is not applicable for
them. In part A, do i need to select the previous country as US or skip the question?

Just write N/A (or not applicable).

Still no movement in my case. I contacted CGINY by email using the link in the Contact section of their site. Got a boilerplate reply after a week asking me to check the status online. Nothing pertaining to my specific case.

Someone in this forum had suggested emailing the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs. I have sent an email there as well but have not heard back.

Will keep this forum posted.

Happy to inform that I received my OCI documents. I sent an email to the Under Secretary of Diaspora Services in the MOIA. Got a quick reply asking me to resend the photos as the scanned images were not good. They also copied CGINY on the email. The very next day CGINY rescanned the photos, I didn't have to send new ones. Within a couple of days the OCI documents were printed and dispatched from New Delhi. I received them in CGINY within a week.

Can Wife and Kids apply as a Family Unit ?

All,

I got my OCI card a few months ago. Now my wife is eligible and plans to apply for one too.

Can I include my kids (US born) in that application ? Can they apply as a family unit?

I ask because in the online registration form they as for the spouse's particulars. Can she just ignore that part and fill in her's and the kids' particulars?

Thank you

All,

I got my OCI card a few months ago. Now my wife is eligible and plans to apply for one too.

Can I include my kids (US born) in that application ? Can they apply as a family unit?

I ask because in the online registration form they as for the spouse's particulars. Can she just ignore that part and fill in her's and the kids' particulars?

Thank you

Yes, your wife and kids can apply as a family unit. This time around fill in the application(s) with her being the primary applicant (just like you were the last time around) and answer all questions from her perspective.

I could get in touch with consulate staff in NY and they told me to get new pictures and signature on Part A again as there was an issue with old picture. It was a breeze after that. Within just 2 days the docs were printed.
The consulate staff are very nice and efficient. One just either need to speak to them on phone or visit the consulate personally. Looks like they are extremely busy and not many times they are able answer the phone.

Thank you all for sending in your timelines. This site is really helpful. I got my Passport back today. Total processing time for me was 7 weeks.

OCI Appl Mailed: Oct 27,2008
OCI App Received at CGNY: Oct 29,2008
OCI Acknowledged: Nov 19, 2008
Sinature Scanned: Nov 27, 2008
Registration Status: Granted Dec 4, 2008
Documents Printing Status: Printed Dec 4, 2008
Documents Dispatched: Dec 5, 2008
Documents Received at CGNY: Dec 9, 2008
Passport Mailed: Dec 10, 2008
Passport & OCI Booklet received: Dec 20, 2008
[/COLOR]

Online print, Page 3 and 6 blank

I completed Part A online and printed it along with Part B and Instructions. Page 3 of 11 and Page 6 of 11 are blank. Did anyone had similar issue?

I completed Part A online and printed it along with Part B and Instructions. Page 3 of 11 and Page 6 of 11 are blank. Did anyone had similar issue?

Not yet at that stage here, but maybe you can take a screen capture and print that for submitting.