Registration Status : GRANTED on 02/12/2008
Documents Printing Status : PRINTED on 02/13/2008
Documents Dispatched From Delhi On : NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI : NOT YET
Stamped at NY CGI : ?

Hi Mehta,

That was so fast for you. Dont know where I am stuck...:-(

Hi ampen,
thanks for the reply. when do you say acknowledged do you mean they sent you a receipt?
My dates are around the same time as yours and I have not heard from them yet and to top it all, I had this confusion with USPS about mail missent etc.

They don't send any receipts. One has to check the status on their website.

That is where I got the acknowledgment date.

I had sent my application via fedex, hence i could track it.

did you get any kind of tracking number when you sent via USPS?

You can also call the OCI Unit at (212) 774-0605 between 2pm to 5 pm, to find out about your application.

They don't send any receipts. One has to check the status on their website.

That is where I got the acknowledgment date.

I had sent my application via fedex, hence i could track it.

did you get any kind of tracking number when you sent via USPS?

You can also call the OCI Unit at (212) 774-0605 between 2pm to 5 pm, to find out about your application.

Hey ampen,
thanks buddy.
I have a lable mumber from USPS. When i entered in on-line it said
Label/Receipt Number: ----

Your item was misrouted. The error has been corrected and every effort is being made to deliver it as soon as possible. No further information is available for this item.

I called USPS and they confirmed with the delivery person that the packet was delivered on 1/17/08 itself. They also said the on-line status did not changed to "delivered". I dont know why.

Anyways, looks like today OCI status checking site is down.

I will try calling my bank checking if they got the cash for the cashier's check.

Thanks again for the phone numbers. Hope I will get thru with the line.

Guys,

Finally the status of OCI application changed....:)

The status now has the following:

Date Of Acknowledgment 07-FEB-2008
Registration Status UnderProcess
Photo/Signature Scanned On 13-FEB-2008
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

Here's the OCI Status for myself, wife and 2 kids:

Documents mailed: 25-Jan-2008
Documents Ack'd on OCI Site: 20-FEB-2008
Registration Status: Granted On 22-FEB-2008
Photo/Signature: Scanned On 20-FEB-2008
Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
Documents Printed On: 22-FEB-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: 26-FEB-2008
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI: NOT YET

Finally got it

Registration Status Granted On 19-FEB-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 13-FEB-2008
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 19-FEB-2008
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 20-FEB-2008
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 27-FEB-2008

Can I go directly to CGNY ?

The photo requirement says it should be on a light background.
I called may places in NJ and couldn't find any place where they could take with light background.

can anyone tell me some place in NJ where i can take picture with light background?

They don't really care too much about the photographs and are not very strict on the requirements.

I took mine myself using a digital camera.

OCI status NY

My OCI Status:

Documents mailed: 01-MAR-2008
Documents Ack'd on OCI Site: 25-MAR-2008
Registration Status: Granted On 24-APR-2008
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at: NEW YORK CGI
Documents Printing Status: NOT PRINTED
Photo/Signature: ------------------------------NOT YET
Documents Printed On: ------------------------NOT YET
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: ---------NOT YET
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI: --------NOT YET

Last edited by a moderator:
I tool mine at CVS pharmacy and the background was not white. they still accepted it.
The photo requirement says it should be on a light background.
I called may places in NJ and couldn't find any place where they could take with light background.

can anyone tell me some place in NJ where i can take picture with light background?

Guys,
I received my OCI card at CGI NY. Went there personally at 10:30 am. Though no one was there at window 7, waited at window 7..thanks to the confidence I got from reading the mails. Seeing me, many people around started forming line behind me.....:)
A representative appeared after about 20 mins and collected my USA passport and the copy I printed from internet showing "Document received by CGI NY". She asked me to return at 12:30 pm to same window. When I went at 12:30 there were a few people ahead of me. Window opened sharply at 12:30 and quickly I got my turn. She looked up using my last name and handed the stamped USA passport and OCI booklet to me.

I am done done...My next encounter on these boards will be for processing my parent's greencard....ha ha

Good luck and thanks to everyone who were kind to reply during this sojourn..(a little long one..have been a member for almost 7 yrs...)

Guys,
I received my OCI card at CGI NY. Went there personally at 10:30 am. Though no one was there at window 7, waited at window 7..thanks to the confidence I got from reading the mails. Seeing me, many people around started forming line behind me.....:)
A representative appeared after about 20 mins and collected my USA passport and the copy I printed from internet showing "Document received by CGI NY". She asked me to return at 12:30 pm to same window. When I went at 12:30 there were a few people ahead of me. Window opened sharply at 12:30 and quickly I got my turn. She looked up using my last name and handed the stamped USA passport and OCI booklet to me.

I am done done...My next encounter on these boards will be for processing my parent's greencard....ha ha

Good luck and thanks to everyone who were kind to reply during this sojourn..(a little long one..have been a member for almost 7 yrs...)

Hi badprapan2,

Q1. Did you have to set up an appointment before showing up? If so, what number did you call? Thanks for your help.

Q2. It may be difficult for me to get a day off. Could someone please share their experience on how long it takes to get your OCI-stamped US passport back from the NY Consulate? I will send it only after they have received the OCI paperwork.

My status:

Acknowledged: Feb 20, 2008
Scanned: Feb 25, 2008
Granted: Feb 27, 2008
Printed: Feb 28, 2008

Regards,

Hi badprapan2,

Q1. Did you have to set up an appointment before showing up? If so, what number did you call? Thanks for your help.

Q2. It may be difficult for me to get a day off. Could someone please share their experience on how long it takes to get your OCI-stamped US passport back from the NY Consulate? I will send it only after they have received the OCI paperwork.

My status:

Acknowledged: Feb 20, 2008
Scanned: Feb 25, 2008
Granted: Feb 27, 2008
Printed: Feb 28, 2008

Regards,

Here's my update that may help you make your decision. It took less than a week between the time I mailed my passports and when I got them back with the stamp...see below...Personally I would avoid a trip to NY just to get the stamping...its cheaper in mail than driving and losing your precious time...if your travel plans are not urgent...i'd recommend mailing in :)

Documents mailed: 25-Jan-2008
Documents Ack'd on OCI Site: 20-FEB-2008
Registration Status: Granted On 22-FEB-2008
Photo/Signature: Scanned On 20-FEB-2008
Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
Documents Printed On: 22-FEB-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: 26-FEB-2008
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI: 4-MAR-2008
Express Mailed 4 US Passports for OCI stamping and 2 Indian Passports for Cancellation: 6-MAR-2008
Received OCI Stamp/Registration booklets by Express Mail alongwith cancelled Indian Passports: 12-Mar-2008

Hi aGCseeker,
Thank you for your helpful reply. Here is another question I have.

Q1. Could I send my passports along with a self-addressed and stamped "Express Mail" envelope or must I send $20.00 in certified cheque with the passports? [I have applied to the NY Consulate.]

Q2. What paperworks do I need to send beside the passports?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Hi aGCseeker,
Thank you for your helpful reply. Here is another question I have.

Q1. Could I send my passports along with a self-addressed and stamped "Express Mail" envelope or must I send $20.00 in certified cheque with the passports? [I have applied to the NY Consulate.]

Q2. What paperworks do I need to send beside the passports?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

You only need to send the $20 in certified check/money order with the passports. No need for enclosing additional self-addressed stamped "Express Mail".

No other paperwork. I had a cover-letter mentioning
1> the File/Application Reference Numbers for all applications for all family members, and
2> a list of enclosures (i.e. US passport and Indian Passport(if applicable))

When I mailed in my passports I also enclosed a printout of the status page off their website which had all the numbers and dates on it.

Thank you all for the helpful information. I am almost there, hopefully the last bit will go without a hiccup.

Regards,

All,

Has the OCI processing slowed down in NYC? I have sent my documents on 23rd Feb, but my application hasn't been acknowledged yet. If anyone has similar dates, please let me know your status. Thanks,

Jeevs

OCI Update - NY

Hello,

I sent my application for a family of four on 02/19/2008.

Current status is -

Date Of Acknowledgment - 17-MAR-2008
Registration Status - Granted on 03-APR-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned - On 26-MAR-2008
Documents Printing Status - PRINTED
Documents Printed - On 03-APR-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi - On 04-APR-2008
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 08-APR-2008

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

Finally got my application acknowledged, so things seem to moving along (albeit slow). Here's my timeline:

Current status is -

Date Application Sent - 23rd Feb
Date Of Acknowledgment - 01-Apr-2008
Registration Status -
Photo/Signature Scanned -
Documents Printing Status -
Documents Printed -
Documents Despatched From Delhi -
Documents Received at - NEW YORK CGI NOT YET