OCI - New York Tracker

OCI Vs PIO Vs Visa

Thanks for you replies for my last query.

Based on recent approvals it seems average time is 2 months to process the whole thing.

I am planning a trip in mid august and have to apply one of the above for my infant child.
From what i understand is i register online and then mail in my document for OCI , now what all do i mail ? do i mail passport too initially.

Secondly if the processing is taking too much time , can i instead get a PIO or visa while my application is in process.
Replies will be greatly appreciated, I want to apply ASAP.

One more thing the fee for PIO is $155 for minor and to convert PIO to OCI is only $25. which comes to less than $275 for OCI , either i am missing something in my math or indian govt is ...

inderp said:
Thanks for you replies for my last query.

Based on recent approvals it seems average time is 2 months to process the whole thing.

I am planning a trip in mid august and have to apply one of the above for my infant child.
From what i understand is i register online and then mail in my document for OCI , now what all do i mail ? do i mail passport too initially.

- You do not need to send in the passport now. Don't make that
mistake else your pp will be stuck at the embassy for a long long
time. Also, depending on where you apply, it may take 2-3-4 or
more months. In the worst case if your OCI doesn't go thru by
then, you will have to take a 6 month visa which I believe costs
$150

Secondly if the processing is taking too much time , can i instead get a PIO or visa while my application is in process.
Replies will be greatly appreciated, I want to apply ASAP.

One more thing the fee for PIO is $155 for minor and to convert PIO to OCI is only $25. which comes to less than $275 for OCI , either i am missing something in my math or indian govt is ...

I think getting a PIO card shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks max
atleast at SFO consulate AFAIK. This way you atleast have the PIO card
in hand which you can use. For adults getting a PIO card cost $310 and
then on the conversion to OCI cost $25 and so it will be costly than getting
OCI. For minors, I believe that would be the cheapest option.

Delay in OCI

I submitted my OCI application to the Indian Embassy in NY on March 6th by mail and the application was received by the embassy on March 13th. However the status currently shows as "Application Number is not yet acknowledged". Its almost 3 months since I applied. Are there any one who applied around this time and are in the same status. Could there be some problem with my application. How does the consulate intimiate if there are any issues with the photos or submitted document. Will they respond if I go in person?

spprash said:
I submitted my OCI application to the Indian Embassy in NY on March 6th by mail and the application was received by the embassy on March 13th. However the status currently shows as "Application Number is not yet acknowledged". Its almost 3 months since I applied. Are there any one who applied around this time and are in the same status. Could there be some problem with my application. How does the consulate intimiate if there are any issues with the photos or submitted document. Will they respond if I go in person?
Tons of application filed even a month later than yours are granted and OCIs despatched from Delhi recently. There has to be some issue with your application. Unfortunately, the applications with issues seem to get pushed to the back burner and consulates are not very active in communicating with the applicants to revive these applications. You have to do something on your own to push your case. If you live within driving distance of NY, i suggest you to undertake a trip and see someone in the consulate in person. Phone/Fax would not work.

Thanks. I stay in Jersey and will try to go in person. Even if there is a problem with the app, will they not acknowledge the reference number in the site. The status in the OCI inquiry is very misleading.

spprash said:

Normally the status would show " File yet to register in concern mission". This status details is first I am hearing of. Best to check with the Consulate in NY.

inderp,
For your child apply for a PIO then convert it to an OCI after a couple of years.That is the way to go for all children below 18, unless you are flush with funds and $100 doesnt mean anything :)

genesis1,
They recently updated the MHA website hence the change in language

spprash,
Before you go to the consulate get a proof of mailing and delivery from the authority you mailed it through.

Everybody,
From personal experience I can tell you that irrespective of the mode of delivery,it takes 7 days for an envelope to go from the mail room to the concerned dept (Passport containing envelopes are an exception).So please factor this into your calculations.This may or may not be a NY specific phenomenon.

OCI: Photo requirement

In Boston area, Salem NH areas, anybody successful in getting the right photo studio to take the pictures per OCI specifications?

Thanks

OCI application Status at NY

I applied OCI for my daughter in NY embassy in June. What is expected time to get OCI approved?

Here is the current status

Mail send on Date: 2 Jun 06
Acknowledgement Date: 12Jun06
Embassy: NY
Registration Status UnderProcess
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Despatched From Delhi On NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

Acknowledgement Date-- significance

mangal969
You seem to have worked/posted al lot of information about OCI from research and various sources.
I wonder what is the significance of Acknowledgement Date, does it mean that the necessary pre-post checking has been done and is in the pipe-line for printing and dispatch etc. Clarification will definitely be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
jha said:
mangal969
You seem to have worked/posted al lot of information about OCI from research and various sources.
I wonder what is the significance of Acknowledgement Date, does it meant all the necessary pre-post checking has been done and is in the pipe-line for printing and dispatch etc. Clarification will definitely be appreciated

Acknowledged simply means they have confirmed that you have sent in the payment and documents.
All the checking verification etc is yet to happen.

Indian Embassy is fast not like US immigration Snail

My OCI applications status came very fast look like it will come in next 10 days. I send out application on 5jun acknowledged on 12th and granted on 13th. It is great. :)

13th June Status

File(Acknowledgment) No : CXXXX
Online Registration No :XXXX
Applicant's Name XXXXXX
Date Of Acknowledgment 12-JUN-2006
Application Status
Registration Status Granted On 13-JUN-2006
Photo/Signature Scanned On 13-JUN-2006

shridharp said:
My OCI applications status came very fast look like it will come in next 10 days. I send out application on 5jun acknowledged on 12th and granted on 13th. It is great. :)

13th June Status

File(Acknowledgment) No : CXXXX
Online Registration No :XXXX
Applicant's Name XXXXXX
Date Of Acknowledgment 12-JUN-2006
Application Status
Registration Status Granted On 13-JUN-2006
Photo/Signature Scanned On 13-JUN-2006
How on earth did you manage to get it approved so fast?

Time for NY Consulate to return passport for approved OCI

My application for OCI was approved, Does anybody know how long does consulate take to return the passport with stamp. I am debating if I should personally go or mail the passport to them. I have already paid $15

NCTarheel said:
How on earth did you manage to get it approved so fast?

I did not do any specific things except near perfect documentation with application. I send out all documents, passport copies etc in 2 sets ( 1 with each application) and most important notarized each page.

My experience is exactly reverese to my US INS experience.

So bottom line is "India is Great" :)

Got the OCI card and passport stamped with U visa

I mailed my passport on the 4th of this month and received it back with U visa stamped plus the OCI booklet yestarday. I thought it was a pretty good turn around time. They received it on the 7th and mailed it back in 2 or 3 business days.

mpotturi said:
I mailed my passport on the 4th of this month and received it back with U visa stamped plus the OCI booklet yestarday. I thought it was a pretty good turn around time. They received it on the 7th and mailed it back in 2 or 3 business days.

Congrats !
How did you receive the passport-first class mail/priority mail/express mail ? Any idea when it was sent ??
I am asking because some people have told me they have got it via priority mail while infact they have charged us for express mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
WEbsite info is suff to send passport

Does CGINY send an email after website says cards recvd or sending the passport with the status printout should be enough for them to stamp and send the passport back.

I haven't decided if I should go personally or mail. I was more so inclined to go personally but seeing mtpourri getting his passport back rather quickly has made me wonder where I can save the hassle of going to the office.