OCI - India (MHA/FRRO) Tracker

Update

Acknowledgment Date: Oct 1 2009
Photos Scanned Date: Nov 9 2009

Recently my wife and kids applied by EMS Speedpost with FRRO/Mumbai. ( I applied from US 3 months back and got it in a month). She got a call from the FRRO office in 3 days saying that Mumbai office needs the application in Triplicate (3 copies). My wife asked them why Triplicate when website clearly says the application needs 2 copies. FRRO says it is common practice and one copy is for them. Also they needed marriage certificate even though why wife is applying as an ex-citizen of India. Any way we send the 3rd copy and the marriage certificate a week ago.

Application Sent: Sep 14 2009
Additional Material Sent: Sep 21 2009
Waiting for Acknowledgement

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Acknowledgment Date: Oct 1 2009

Yes it does help. Contrary to what I said earlier in this thread, I never went to MHA and mailed in my documents only last week. This gives me an indication that barring additional information, I should have an ack. in 10 days or so. And given that mine went to MHA rather than FRRO might save some time.

Thanks for the update. Need some more updates from people in India, PLEASE!!

Applied at FRRO Chennai for the whole family - August 7, 2009
Online acknowledgement - August 13, 2009
Approved - October 6, 2009
Documents mailed from Delhi to FRRO Chennai - October 8, 2009
Waiting to hear from FRRO Chennai for passport stamping.

Hope this helps others.Thanks.

Yes it does help. Contrary to what I said earlier in this thread, I never went to MHA and mailed in my documents only last week. This gives me an indication that barring additional information, I should have an ack. in 10 days or so. And given that mine went to MHA rather than FRRO might save some time.

Thanks for the update. Need some more updates from people in India, PLEASE!!

Applied at MHA in person, Collected it today, OCI were never shown received at office online. they said it usually about 10 days from print days.
here are complete details.

Date Of Acknowledgment :04-SEP-2009
Registration Granted :13-OCT-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned :06-OCT-2009
Documents Printed On :14-OCT-2009
Documents Dispatched :16-OCT-2009
Documents Received at MHA DELHI: NOT YET

Documents Mailed from Bangalore - around Sep 25, 2009
Date Of Acknowledgment :15-OCT-2009 (after a personal visit to MHA)
Registration Granted :28-OCT-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned :23-OCT-2009
Documents Printed On :28-OCT-2009
Documents Dispatched :03-NOV-2009
Documents Received at MHA DELHI: NOT YET
Passports Stamped : 13-NOV-2009

Completed the process today.
Received OCI passport booklet along with U visa sticker.
The delay in stamping was from my side.
MHA has a huge stack of files in backlog, could not count - but it would be in hundreds, maybe a thousand - they had to fish out my file when I went there. The files are just in big piles, looked like there is no sequencing / priority, so some people get it fast, some get it very slow. My acknowledgement happened once they pulled out my file ... it could have taken another few weeks if I had not gone there.
When I went there last month, they said it could take 2-3 months after acknowledgement.
There are options to 'expedite' if you know the Indian culture.

OCI Timeline - FRRO Chennai

Our OCI timeline. I am sure it will be useful for others who are thinking of applying here in India.

Filed at FRRO Chennai - August 7, 2009
Date of acknowledgement - August 13, 2009
Photo/Signature scanned - August 13, 2009
OCI Granted on - October 06, 2009
Documents dispatched from Delhi - October 08, 2009
Received and online status updated at FRRO Chennai - November 17, 2009
Waiting for call from FRRO Chennai to go and get the passports stamped.

Note: Though the online status says documents dispatched from Delhi on October 08, 2009 in reality that does not happen. Mr.Thiagarajan of OCI desk Chennai says that MHA Delhi will send US passports only in lots of 100 or 200 once a month to the FRRO mission offices. This explains why we received the approval documents only on November 17th, 2009.

Thanks.

OCI Timeline - FRRO Chennai Update

OCI Timeline - FRRO Chennai Update to my earlier post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Filed at FRRO Chennai - August 7, 2009
Date of acknowledgement - August 13, 2009
Photo/Signature scanned - August 13, 2009
OCI Granted on - October 06, 2009
Documents dispatched from Delhi - October 08, 2009
Received and online status updated at FRRO Chennai - November 17, 2009
Passport stamped at FRRO Chennai - November 30, 2009

Thanks.