OCI - Houston Tracker

No updates for me either.

I have the exact same timeline as nuev

I have seen no change to my OCI application status since 06/12/08.

My timeline is as follows:

Application mailed on 04/04/08
Application receipt at Consulate / Houston 04/07/08
Acknowledgement date 05/28/09
Documents scanned 06/12/08

In my mind atleast, that is some good news. I would subscribe to the idea that they are either processing applications in batches or updating the website in batches. The website indicates that "normal" processing time is 30 days from acknowledgement, which in my case should have been June 28, 2008.

After this July 4th weekend, if my application has not yet been granted, I plan to blast Houston CGI with emails, faxes and auto redialed telephone calls.

After this July 4th weekend, if my application has not yet been granted, I plan to blast Houston CGI with emails, faxes and auto redialed telephone calls.

So will your blood pressure! Relax take a chill pill.

It is over 70 days since I sent the OCI application to Houston, and 26 days since it was 'acknowledged' - and no movement since then!!

Our friends in San Francisco who applied in May have received their OCI already!!

No sign of smart life in Houston!! We are stuck in this Bokaro Steel City Express (they call it express, when they should call it slow coach) going nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
My OCI status was granted today

My timeline is as follows

Application recipt at Consulate / Houston 04/07/08
OCI status granted 07/15/08

Next steps: Document printing, Dispatch from Delhi, Document received in Houston.

Ditto as nuev: Granted today.

My application was also granted today.

(Ditto as nuev's timeline)
My timeline is as follows:

I think documents should be printed and dispatched in no more than a week.

Documents printed.

Documents printed on the same day as status granted:

Documents printed 07/15/08

Whats needed to claim the OCI cards?

Our OCI applications have been approved in Delhi and I expect them to arrive in Houston in about a week. We plan to drive there and pick them up from the consulate in Houston.
Sometime back, I had lost a small folder in which I think my 4 year old daughter's PIO card was stored. I had applied for her OCI card as an "upgrade" from her already existing PIO card.

My questions are:
1) What documents are needed to pick up the OCI cards? (I'm aware of only my wife and my Indian passports, and U.S. passports of us all which will be stamped with the U Visa)
2) Is anything else needed? (Other than the registration/file numbers)
3) Will they ask for my daughter's PIO card? (Which I'm not able to locate... It maybe lost)

OCI Granted

Our son's OCI is finally granted on 7/16 (even though the date says 7/17, probably India time). Papers haven't been printed and dispatched yet.

s_a_kumar

applied 4/4/08
recd. 4/7/08
acknowledged 5/27/08
scanned 7/9/08
granted 7/17/08

No activity on my son's application. Acknowledged on 5/27 and since then nothing not even scan. I am hoping they start moving along with all the applications.

s_a_kumar

Whats needed to claim the OCI cards?
3) Will they ask for my daughter's PIO card? (Which I'm not able to locate... It maybe lost)

You need to send the following:
1. The latest India passport you held
2. Your brand new US passport
3. If you had a PIO card, you have to enclose the original PIO card too.

If you've lost the PIO card, first file a police complaint about the loss, and then send a letter to the Indian embassy along with a copy of the police report. And, when you send your India/US passports for OCI stamping, send a copy of this letter+police report in lieu of the PIO card.

I am guessing that this will do. Any other advice from fellow forum members?

OCI stamping

Can some one please tell how long does the consulate take to do the oci stamping on the passports? I am really worried right now about our passports. I have read through here and it seemed everybody gets it in 3 weeks or so. For us its more than 5 weeks. Has it taken this long for anybody?

Date Of Acknowledgment - 10-JUL-2007
Registration Status Granted On 10-MAR-2008
Documents Printed On 11-MAR-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 12-MAR-2008
Documents Received at HOUSTON 27-MAR-2008
Passports Mailed to Houston: 22-MAY-2008
Passports received at Houston: 5/27/2008
Received Passport and OCI back : NOT YET

Last edited by a moderator:
Documents dispatched from Delhi

Documents printed on the same day as status granted:

Documents Despatched From Delhi On: 18-JUL-2008

Does anyone know if the website status is updated diligently after the documents are received at Houston? (Or should one not depend on that and simply show up to Houston 10+ days after dispatch date, as the website advises?). I believe Houston also has a downloadable Excel spreadsheet with latest document arrivals (sorted by Registration Number). Is that spreadsheet updated diligently? (if not the status website)

Does anyone know if the website status is updated diligently after the documents are received at Houston? (Or should one not depend on that and simply show up to Houston 10+ days after dispatch date, as the website advises?). I believe Houston also has a downloadable Excel spreadsheet with latest document arrivals (sorted by Registration Number). Is that spreadsheet updated diligently? (if not the status website)

As far as I can tell, the website update of "Documents received at [consulate city]" happens in near real-time. No idea about the consulate spreadsheet.

Not so fast!

Please DO NOT be proactive and send the passports before the documents are received in Houston! After the status gets updated saying that the documents have arrived, print that page and send it along with the passports (US and any previous IND).

The excel document was those applicants who put in the papers before all procedures were finalized.

Nred.:cool:

I'd say, keep everything ready - US passport, latest Indian passport, PIO card, if PIO card holder, + cover letter in a courier envelope addressed to Houston. As soon as the status is updated with 'received at Houston consulate', print out the status sheet and send the package that very day to Houston.

I'd suggest that you do not send it prematurely. It can be filed in no-man's land!!

Having waited until this far, just wait a few more days.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

I plan to visit the Houston consulate personally, since its just a 2.5 hr drive from Austin, where I live.
A friend who also went through the process recently, told me that he received an email from Houston CGI directly, telling him his OCI cards were ready.
I will wait for the website status change or such an email and then plan the trip to Houston.

Thanks.

Documents arrived in Houston today.

Documents Despatched From Delhi On 07/18/08
Documents Received at HOUSTON On 07/21/08

I plan to personally visit the Houston consulate on 08/01/08 and pickup the documents. Will arrive early in the morning and collect all OCI cards and stamped passports in the evening, before they close.