OCI - Houston Tracker

My OCI is granted.

Congratulations Dump!!!

It was long time coming. You finally got it. You filed on the same day I mailed my application.

Good luck to you with the rest of the processing, which should be pretty quick now.

~pump

Last edited by a moderator:
passport

Once I receive an E-mail asking to send my passport,
Can I go personally and get it done in onw day?

Once I receive an E-mail asking to send my passport,
Can I go personally and get it done in onw day?

Hi danra123,

You can go any day (except holidays observed by CGI, Houston). If your documents are already received by the Consulate, you don't even need to wait for email.

Drop in the passport in the morning and collect it in the afternoon. One family member can get it done for all members.

Read below:

http://www.cgihouston.org/OCIStatus.html

"No separate communication regarding status of OCI applications will be sent to the applicant. Once the online status indicates the date on which OCI Card reached CGI, Houston, there is no need of further confirmation on phone/fax/e-mail and the applicant can send the passports by mail or come personally. While mailing passport do not forget to write the file number in a covering letter along with the passport(s). "

Check their holiday schedule before you go to Houston

http://www.cgihouston.org/holidays.html

bez2001

HI does any body tell me how they send acknoledgement by post, online or we have check ourselves
thanks

if they send the application back do i have wait agin ib que or they consider the orinal applocation date

Update

04-Sep-07- Application sent to houston
17-Nov-07 : Date of Acknowledgement
20-Nov-07 : Photo/Signature Scanned
26-Nov-07: Registration status Granted
26-Nov-07 : Documents Printed
03-Dec-07: Documents Dispatched From Delhi
*** : Documents Received at Houston
*** : Received email
*** : Sent Passport for U Visa
***: Passport received at Houston
*** : Received U Visa + OCI booklet

Received E-mail - documents

I have received E-mail from Houston.
Aprt from passports what all documents I need to send.
Do I have to send all Indian passports or only current one?
E-mail dose not have application number.

10-Dec-07 : Documents Received at Houston
11-Dec-07 : Received email

Call from Houston

Dump - did you actual get a call? My wife just had a general e-mail and she sent her passport on Nov 28 (received at Houston on Nov 30) for stamping. Have not heard anything until now...it's a black-hole.

I sent all my passports just to be on the safe side. Never know what they want to look at.

10-Dec-07 : Documents Received at Houston
11-Dec-07 : Received email

Hi danra123,

I don't believe you have to send your old expired Indian passports. Just send the most current Indian passport along with the US passport. Be sure to include a cover letter with reference to your OCI registration number. I am sure the email lists enough instructions. Also, attach a print out of your OCI status from the OCI Online Enquiry website. (http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp)

If your current Indian passport is not already Canceled, you can mention in the cover letter a request to cancel the same. If your current Indian passport is already canceled, you still have to send it.

In my case, I had already got my Indian passport canceled at a boot camp way before I even applied for OCI. I also had one other old expired Indian passport. I only sent the most current Indian passport along with the US passport. I did not face any issues at all.

Good luck.

Ap74Mo,

Yes. I got the call from the embassy to send my passport.

Thanks for the quick response. Did they give you any idea how long they take to return your documents once they receive your passport? I've seen dates ranging from 5-10 business days on this forum.

Passports return from CGI Houston

Can anyone please shed light as to how CGI Houston returns passport after U visa stamping and OCI booklet? Is this through USPS express mail or is it through couriers such as Fedex/UPS? Thanks.

waiting for consulate to send back passport

Thanks for the quick response. Did they give you any idea how long they take to return your documents once they receive your passport? I've seen dates ranging from 5-10 business days on this forum.

ap74mo, I have the same question..there doesnt seem to be any guideline provided regarding the # of days it takes to receive the passport from the consulate...

my passport was received 7th December at the consulate...yet to hear anything back..

OCI Passport Return

I have sent my passport on Nov 28 for U visa and have not heard from Houston CGI. I'm having a friend in Houston check with CGI.:mad:

talked to houston folks

Its been 11 days since I sent my passport for stamping. While the status updates on the earlier process of the OCI was great, the final phase of tracking your passport and when to expect them back -- its kind of in the black.

Finally, i was able to talk to some lady at the houston consulate..as per her, their guideline is 12-15 days to send passports back..that is, if they dont find any issues with your $20 mailing fee /passports etc.

frustrating !!!!

Its been 11 days since I sent my passport for stamping. While the status updates on the earlier process of the OCI was great, the final phase of tracking your passport and when to expect them back -- its kind of in the black.

Finally, i was able to talk to some lady at the houston consulate..as per her, their guideline is 12-15 days to send passports back..that is, if they dont find any issues with your $20 mailing fee /passports etc.

frustrating !!!!

unohoo,

It does take 15 days to get the passport back. In my case, it took exactly 15 days since it was received by them. You have to wait for a few more days. I know that it is a little bit frustrating when things are not in our control. Unfortunately, they do not provide any tracking for passport stamping. We just have to wait.

04-Sep-07 : Filed Online
05-Sep-07 : Mailed Part A & Part B
06-Sep-07 : Received at Houston
17-Oct-07 : Date of Acknowledgement
18-Oct-07 : Photo/Signature Scanned
25-Oct-07 : Registration status Granted
26-Oct-07 : Documents Printed
30-Oct-07 : Documents Dispatched From Delhi
02-Nov-07 : Documents Received at Houston
05-Nov-07 : Received email from CGI
05-Nov-07 : Sent Passport for U Visa
06-Nov-07 : Passport received at Houston
21-Nov-07 : Received U Visa + OCI booklet

I'm waiting 18 days and counting. Pump - how was your passport returned - Fedex or Express mail? Thanks

unohoo,

It does take 15 days to get the passport back. In my case, it took exactly 15 days since it was received by them. You have to wait for a few more days. I know that it is a little bit frustrating when things are not in our control. Unfortunately, they do not provide any tracking for passport stamping. We just have to wait.

04-Sep-07 : Filed Online
05-Sep-07 : Mailed Part A & Part B
06-Sep-07 : Received at Houston
17-Oct-07 : Date of Acknowledgement
18-Oct-07 : Photo/Signature Scanned
25-Oct-07 : Registration status Granted
26-Oct-07 : Documents Printed
30-Oct-07 : Documents Dispatched From Delhi
02-Nov-07 : Documents Received at Houston
05-Nov-07 : Received email from CGI
05-Nov-07 : Sent Passport for U Visa
06-Nov-07 : Passport received at Houston