OCI - Houston Tracker

Dear Friends,

Please support the petition opposing renunciation of Indian citizenship at

http://www.petitiononline.com/OCIpeti/petition.html

with the subject: Opposition to mandatory renunciation of Indian Citizenship and request to consider OCI as a "standalone" document and make it a success by posting atleast 50000 signatures by July 15 2010.

Please circulate this url to all your friends by email.

Regards,

Deepak

Did you get your application approved? Mine is still pending...

Are OCI applications taking longer to process now, than before? I have been looking through this thread and most people have recieved their OCI back within a 1 month and 1.5 months.

I have mailed my OCI application to Houston.

Acknowledged : May 6th 2010
Photos Scanned: May 6th 2010

Since then, there have been no updates to my application. I am assuming that the documents have been sent to Dehli, but they have not been sent back. Does anyone know why its taking longer than usual? When can I expect my OCI?

Acknowledged: 4/12/10
Photos Scanned: 4/14/10
Granted: 6/16/10
Documents Printed: 22-JUN-2010
Documents Dispatched: 23-JUN-2010
Documents Received at HOUSTON: 26-JUN-2010

looks like 3 months now.
so lets hang in there for the last mile :)
--------------
Acknowledged: 5/10/10
Photos Scanned: 5/13/10
Granted:
Documents Printed:
Documents Dispatched:
Documents Received at HOUSTON:

Finally received passports with OCI stamps and OCI cards. One thing I observed is that they didnt cancel my and my wife's indian passports. They did cancel my daughter's PIO card.

Is it worth following up with CGI houston to get this cancelled as I received OCI cards? I think they want me to pay the new fees for cancellation? What do you guys think?

Date of Acknowledgement: 4/12/10
Photos Scanned: 4/14/10
Granted: 6/16/10
Documents Printed: 22-JUN-2010
Documents Dispatched: 23-JUN-2010
Documents Received at HOUSTON: 26-JUN-2010
Fedexed Passports: 06/29/2010
Received Passports: 07/12/2010

Here is my story,
Application for OCI (me and my parents) mailed- Jun 22,
Application received on jun 24 by houston embassy
Realized that forgot to send application fee for my mothers application so send in money order $275 the next day, received by
consulate on june 25.
After reading this forum i realized that i have to send two sets of supporting documents and not one set. so i will be sending another
set of documents tommorow. i call the embassy and spoke to this lady (yes you read it right someone picked my call and spoke to me). i asked about the status of my app and she said it will take a month to get acknowledged and i should send in another set of documents..thats it..will keep u guys updated..great forum

Last edited by a moderator:
I Surrendered my Indian passport at the time of US Citizenship ceremony on receiving the US citizenship. Now I'm trying to apply for OCI which needs a copy of Indian passport, which I don't have any at this time. So what are my options to apply for OCI?
Note: I have a copy of my first passport, and nothing else.

I am in the same boat as most of you. The application for my daughter and me still shows up with an acknowledgement date and photos scanned date of 04/28/2010. No change since then.

If I go based on mdes123' timeline, I should have had it granted by 07/02/2010. I guess this is getting delayed even further.

I am also in the same 'ship'. Our OCI application was acked on 05/10.

Has any one waiting for OCI application approval, already surrendered ther Indian Citizenship?.

I haven't surrendered Indian Citizenship yet. I am hoping to travel to Houston when OCI is approved and documents are received in Houston Consulate.

I am in the same boat as most of you. The application for my daughter and me still shows up with an acknowledgement date and photos scanned date of 04/28/2010. No change since then.

If I go based on mdes123' timeline, I should have had it granted by 07/02/2010. I guess this is getting delayed even further.

Based on your experiences in getting Surrender Certificate from Houston Consulate, please let me know the following:

1. Does Houston accept accept SC application only by mail (like NYC) or they accept application in person also.
2. Do they have same day service for issuing SC. Submit application in morning and get SC in the evening.
3. What is current time line for Houston in issuing SC. The web site gives no clue about this time line.
4. Do they have expedite SC process or just regular process.

Thanks.

Based on your experiences in getting Surrender Certificate from Houston Consulate, please let me know the following:

1. Does Houston accept accept SC application only by mail (like NYC) or they accept application in person also.
2. Do they have same day service for issuing SC. Submit application in morning and get SC in the evening.
3. What is current time line for Houston in issuing SC. The web site gives no clue about this time line.
4. Do they have expedite SC process or just regular process.

Thanks.

Response:
1. I applied for my SC in person and they accept it fine.
2. My SC was granted the next day and I was not in a hurry. However, if you have a valid case then they are very friendly in accommodating same day issuance. There was another person in line who needed the SC for an emergency visa and they issued it same day for him along with visa.
3. It is about 2 days. Though they issue it the next day it is about 2 days officially.
4. There wasn't any expedite SC process. Maybe they may introduce delays in the future to make some money off the expedite process :)....

My OCI timeline:
Houston OCI
FedEx Docs - 5/11/10
Received - 5/12/10
Acknowledged - 5/13/10
Photo scanned - 5/13/10
SC applied - 5/24/10
SC issued - 5/25/10
Status - Under Progress

I am also in the same 'ship'. Our OCI application was acked on 05/10.

Has any one waiting for OCI application approval, already surrendered ther Indian Citizenship?.

I haven't surrendered Indian Citizenship yet. I am hoping to travel to Houston when OCI is approved and documents are received in Houston Consulate.

Yes, I have surrendered my Indian citizenship while waiting for OCI approval.

My OCI timeline:
Houston OCI
FedEx Docs - 5/11/10
Received - 5/12/10
Acknowledged - 5/13/10
Photo scanned - 5/13/10
SC applied - 5/24/10
SC issued - 5/25/10
Status - Under Progress

Response:
1. I applied for my SC in person and they accept it fine.
2. My SC was granted the next day and I was not in a hurry. However, if you have a valid case then they are very friendly in accommodating same day issuance. There was another person in line who needed the SC for an emergency visa and they issued it same day for him along with visa.
3. It is about 2 days. Though they issue it the next day it is about 2 days officially.
4. There wasn't any expedite SC process. Maybe they may introduce delays in the future to make some money off the expedite process :)....

Thanks may112010. From your signature, I find you applied for SC in May, when they had all this fiasco of SC just started.

Want to know if there is any one who have got SC by visiting Houston recently in July. Please share your experiences. Thanks.

Surrender Certificate

Did anybody apply SC through mail? I got my USC before May 31 2010.

I would like to apply SC for both me and my wife.

So does that mean i have to pay 20$ (for myself) + 20$ (for my wife) + 20$ (for mailing per family). So total of 60$.

Is that right?

If I understand we have to send the following to CGI.
1. Indian Passport original
2. Photocopy of US passport
3. Money order or Cashiers chequie

Thanks in advance.

How long it takes to acknowledge

Gurus,
Mailed application on june 21th. Received by consulate on 6/22. Online status says "Application with this number is not yet acknowledged". Tried contacting consulate (Houston) via email/phone unsuccessfully. No replies for email and no human answers the phone though called between 4-5 CST. How long it takes to acknowledge application and if it is taking too long what are my options?

Hi Bobbycdp,
i also have applied for OCI on june 22 and docs received by consulated on june 24th and my status is same as yours. I was able to talk to a lady at the consulate after calling them non-stop for 45 minutes( they don't pick up calls so try calling continously after 2:30 pm till 3:30-4:00 and you may get lucky to have someone talk to you). Also, she told me that wait four weeks for acknowledgement( this is the 5th week and i am very worried and angry).

Thanks

Hi Bobbycdp,
i also have applied for OCI on june 22 and docs received by consulated on june 24th and my status is same as yours. I was able to talk to a lady at the consulate after calling them non-stop for 45 minutes( they don't pick up calls so try calling continously after 2:30 pm till 3:30-4:00 and you may get lucky to have someone talk to you). Also, she told me that wait four weeks for acknowledgement( this is the 5th week and i am very worried and angry).

fpatel,
Thanks for the info. By the way on the consulate web site it said we should be calling between 4 and 5 right?. Anyway I will try from now calling them. Thanks again for the update.