OCI - Chicago Tracker

Thanks a ton idk - this is great information...The updates are as under...Now just waiting for it to show up at Chicago.

http://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

Photo/Signature Scanned On 09-APR-2011
Registration Status Granted On 10-APR-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 22-APR-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 28-APR-2011
Documents Received at CHICAGO NOT YET

Last edited by a moderator:
Today 05/03, I got email form Travisa to pickup the docs. ..going today between 4:30 to 6 PM to pick it up...

OCI + SC in our hand, we picked up from Travisa between 4:30 PM & 6 :00 PM Chicago.

@familygupta : wish u good luck and wish u will get it within 2 days no more than that as we were together in journey..

Tried to call Travisa to see how long it will be before they mailed out..40+ calls waiting.. and 30 minutes wait time.. After waiting for 40 minutes.. music stopped coming and phone got disconnected itself..
some service..

Hello

I have to go to India by end of June. My oath is only on 5/11. I am asuming it will take a week for the passport in expedited. I live in Indy so won't go to Chicago to get the passport in a day. Should I apply for SC + OCI or just for SC + Visa to make my end of June trip.

If I apply for SC + OCI, in case of delay, will I be then able to apply for my Visa for India trip or will that effect the OCI.

Much appreciate any help from the forum. Thanks.

PS: Tried calling Travisa but after 35 min on hold the call went dead. Really bad service.

Hello

I have to go to India by end of June. My oath is only on 5/11. I am asuming it will take a week for the passport in expedited. I live in Indy so won't go to Chicago to get the passport in a day. Should I apply for SC + OCI or just for SC + Visa to make my end of June trip.

If I apply for SC + OCI, in case of delay, will I be then able to apply for my Visa for India trip or will that effect the OCI.

Much appreciate any help from the forum. Thanks.

PS: Tried calling Travisa but after 35 min on hold the call went dead. Really bad service.

two people including myself have already replied to your same post before. Asking the same question again and again won't expedite the process. You do not have enough time to get the surrender certificate, us passport, and an OCI in time. be on the safe side. apply for a visa now. you'll atleast have your peace of mind

two people including myself have already replied to your same post before. Asking the same question again and again won't expedite the process. You do not have enough time to get the surrender certificate, us passport, and an OCI in time. be on the safe side. apply for a visa now. you'll atleast have your peace of mind

I agree with speakamericano, you don't have enough time for regular visa processing let along the OCI. Passport will take 2 to 3 week with experdited. Then appling SC +visa , Travisa is taking 2 to 3 week to open the application.. you might have to go in person to get the visa to avoid hectics.. Forget about OCI..

Guys - Thanks for your inputs...I know of another American who recently applied for expedited passport and received it in a week. I was going with that assumption. Passport was applied on 4/18 and received on 4/23.

I will go with your advice. Forget about OCI and go with Visa. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me my worst case scenario if I drive up to Chicago. Will I get it in a day or next (SC+ India Visa). Also what visa should I apply for. I just need to go once. Once I get back I will apply for OCI. What is the cheapest for me. Can I go with tourist visa or something.

Guys - Thanks for your inputs...I know of another American who recently applied for expedited passport and received it in a week. I was going with that assumption. Passport was applied on 4/18 and received on 4/23.

I will go with your advice. Forget about OCI and go with Visa. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me my worst case scenario if I drive up to Chicago. Will I get it in a day or next (SC+ India Visa). Also what visa should I apply for. I just need to go once. Once I get back I will apply for OCI. What is the cheapest for me. Can I go with tourist visa or something.

The US passport can be obtained in one to three days, most often within a day, if you show proof of travel itinerary and/or air travel reservations, at a Regional Passport Center (but not at other passport processing facilities). Many people on this Forum have have done that. An international travel itinerary can perhaps be obtained by buying fully refundable international air tickets or obtaining an itinerary from a travel agent. This has been the common wisdom on this board.

It is my my belief that the processing for the Indian Visa is (or can be) relatively fast. However, I am not so sure about the surrender certificate. Let's see what others have to say. It would be worth knowing if the SC can be obtained in a single day.

The US passport can be obtained in one to three days, most often within a day, if you show proof of travel itinerary and/or air travel reservations, at a Regional Passport Center (but not at other passport processing facilities). Many people on this Forum have have done that. An international travel itinerary can perhaps be obtained by buying fully refundable international air tickets or obtaining an itinerary from a travel agent. This has been the common wisdom on this board.

It is my my belief that the processing for the Indian Visa is (or can be) relatively fast. However, I am not so sure about the surrender certificate. Let's see what others have to say. It would be worth knowing if the SC can be obtained in a single day.

I don't find emergency application of SC, what I found is below, I would say keep try to call Travisa until they pick up your call....

on Travisa website:
"Processing Time:
Applications sent by mail take approximately 15 working/business days to process from the date of receipt.

We strongly recommend that you submit your request to renounce your Indian citizenship immediately upon becoming a citizen of another country. Failure to do so can result in substantial penalties and fines.

Non-refundable tickets or reservations should not be purchased until all travel documents and passports are secured and in your possession.
"
For VISA on Travisa:
"Former Indian Nationals
Due to recent changes in requirements, there is a delay in processing time for former Indian nationals. Former Indian nationals should allow for extra time when applying for their visa to accommodate these delays. Same day processing is not available for former Indian nationals.
"
AND
"Non-US citizens and Naturalized US citizens
US citizens who require a reference and all Non-US citizens have a minimum processing time of one to two weeks, and some cases may take longer. This time schedule applies whether applying in person or by mail. Pickup for in person applications is between 4:30pm and 6:00 pm. "

On Indian Consulate website:
"Counter: 7 working days
Counter submission and delivery request by mail: 15 working days
Mail: 4 weeks. "

Set up an appointment with the US Passport Agency in Downtown Chicago the day after my Oath i.e. for 5/12. Will drive up there and get the US passport for myself, wife and son. We plan to get a itinerary from an agent for the India trip. Appointment is at 9:00am.

Does anyone know how soon they will provide the passport. Is it within hours in Chicago. If so then I can plan to set up something with TraVisa on the same day and submit the Visa application in person. Get 2 things done while I'm up there in Chicago.

tgupte1,

visit chicago.indianconsulate.com for emergency visa details. it is on landing page, about halfway through. Since you plan to drive to Chicago for passport, may be you can make a trip to consulate and find out if surrender certificate is needed for emergency visa or you can get surrender certificate after you come back from India. Emergency visas are usually issued same day at the consulate.

Got the US citizenship and US passport yesterday. Now need to start the India process.

I plan to apply for SC+OCI. Don't have any immediate travel plans. My question was once I apply for the OCI which if I am right is taking around 1.5 months or less from start to finish - if I have to go to India immediately is there any blackout days that you cannot go. Have old parents and being the primary caretaker, I always want the option to go.

Any inputs is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Myself and my wife are naturalized US citizen. We have a son(minor) born in US.
Getting ready to apply as family for OCI for all three of us. Question is for our son who holds US passport and Indian Visa, will they issue OCI or only PIO? In the travisa web site when applying for OCI for a minor who was not a indian citizen earlier says only PIO will be issued.

I am sure lot of people here in this form in same situation, if so how did you all go about? and any comments is appreciated.

Thanks

Got the US citizenship and US passport yesterday. Now need to start the India process.

I plan to apply for SC+OCI. Don't have any immediate travel plans. My question was once I apply for the OCI which if I am right is taking around 1.5 months or less from start to finish - if I have to go to India immediately is there any blackout days that you cannot go. Have old parents and being the primary caretaker, I always want the option to go.

Any inputs is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You do not have such a option. You will be without your US passport for about 2 months, assuming everything goes right.

Based on what I have read in the forums, you can optimize the process, by applying for SC only first. That should come back to you with in 3 to 4 weeks as it is handled by the consulate/embassy in the US. After you have your SC in hand then apply for the OCI. You will probably pay an additional 15 bucks the travisa fee, to split the process.

If you have an emergency than you can apply for a visa to go to India, in case you don't have the OCI by withdrawing the OCI application.

It also helps to drop the application in person and pick it up in person, will save you days or weeks depending on the mail room moron, where your application lands.

You do not have such a option. You will be without your US passport for about 2 months, assuming everything goes right.

Based on what I have read in the forums, you can optimize the process, by applying for SC only first. That should come back to you with in 3 to 4 weeks as it is handled by the consulate/embassy in the US. After you have your SC in hand then apply for the OCI. You will probably pay an additional 15 bucks the travisa fee, to split the process.

If you have an emergency than you can apply for a visa to go to India, in case you don't have the OCI by withdrawing the OCI application.

It also helps to drop the application in person and pick it up in person, will save you days or weeks depending on the mail room moron, where your application lands.

Hmmmm....that's too bad. So just to confirm, if I need to go to India as emergency, I have to cancel the OCI which I am assuming you lose all the money ect...right? and then come back and reapply with all the fees again. I just don't agree with taking the US passport for the whole period...what if I have to travel on business....S**T. Good part is I also have a passport card that let's me across the border by road ONLY.

@idk - You mentioned that it takes 2 months total of 2/3 weeks for SC. I see a couple of people in the Chicago forum who have applied for OCI+SC and are getting it in around 1.5 months average.

I have applied for an US passport a week ago, and am expecting to receive it in another three weeks or so. I was curious if I could use all this time to get a SC. Since I am in the CGI-Houston jurisdiction, I sent them the following message, via their web-based form on the Travisa web site:

Can I get a Surrender certificate, with just a copy of my Naturalization Certificate? (I ask because on the page that lists the documents needed for "India Renunciation - Naturalized after May 31, 2010," bullet point #6 asks for "Copy of U.S. or Non-Indian Passport.")​
Today, I received an email from Travisa Outsourcing that says the following:

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately you will have to have the first page and the last two endorsement pages of the US passport in order to apply for renunciation.​
I have learned that you should always expect the worst when dealing with CGI-Houston.