OCI - Chicago Tracker

Are we sending collecting OCI document mail to the same address:
OCI cell, Consulate General of India, Chicago, 455 N. Cityfront Plaza Drive, NBC Tower Building, Suite # 850, Chicago, Illinois-60611 because its not mentioned in anywhere

Are we sending collecting OCI document mail to the same address:
OCI cell, Consulate General of India, Chicago, 455 N. Cityfront Plaza Drive, NBC Tower Building, Suite # 850, Chicago, Illinois-60611 because its not mentioned in anywhere
Your process is completed in less than 3 months. If all cases goes this way, there is nothing to complain.

I you apply OCI/Sc togehter, do they still send the SC back with cancelled passport?

Your process is completed in less than 3 months. If all cases goes this way, there is nothing to complain.

I you apply OCI/Sc togehter, do they still send the SC back with cancelled passport?

yes I got my SC+ canceled passport back in month. Still I am sending that back to them just to verify don't want to delay any how. I know, if all cases goes this way then every one will be happy. I am sending cover letter to them as a appreciation.

yes I got my SC+ canceled passport back in month. Still I am sending that back to them just to verify don't want to delay any how. I know, if all cases goes this way then every one will be happy. I am sending cover letter to them as a appreciation.

Do not send original SC + canceled passport. Send only self attested photo copies. Even if they do not return it, it is OK.

Do not send original SC + canceled passport. Send only self attested photo copies. Even if they do not return it, it is OK.

madh4 - I know its not logical but here is what they said on site:

(b) Via mail: Those who have paid the mailing charges with their application can collect OCI documents via mail. For doing so please forward the following documents to the Consulate (address mentioned above) clearly indicating on the envelope “COLLECTION OF OCI DOCUMENTS”.
Please ensure to send the following

* US/foreign passport, the details of which were furnished in the application
* Print out of the Status Page from on-line status enquiry (indicating the date of receipt of OCI document in the Consulate
* Indian passport/PIO Card – if still valid. After cancellation these are returned back to applicant.

For (a) and (b) above, after cancellation the Indian Passport and/or PIO card and Surrender Certificate (as applicable) is returned back to the applicant.

madh4 - I know its not logical but here is what they said on site:

(b) Via mail: Those who have paid the mailing charges with their application can collect OCI documents via mail. For doing so please forward the following documents to the Consulate (address mentioned above) clearly indicating on the envelope “COLLECTION OF OCI DOCUMENTS”.
Please ensure to send the following

* US/foreign passport, the details of which were furnished in the application
* Print out of the Status Page from on-line status enquiry (indicating the date of receipt of OCI document in the Consulate
* Indian passport/PIO Card – if still valid. After cancellation these are returned back to applicant.

For (a) and (b) above, after cancellation the Indian Passport and/or PIO card and Surrender Certificate (as applicable) is returned back to the applicant.

It is very clear from the language used that you need to send Indian PP/PIO card only if there are still valid. In your case both are not valid. They have canceled the PP and sent you SC. Just send copies even though they have not asked for it. Do not send original SC as i have read number of posts these blokes have not returned it. Just send copy of SC and canceled Indian PP. Do you want to risk by sending originals ?????

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very clear from the language used that you need to send Indian PP/PIO card only if there are still valid. In your case both are not valid. They have canceled the PP and sent you SC. Just send copies even though they have not asked for it. Do not send original SC as i have read number of posts these blokes have not returned it. Just send copy of SC and canceled Indian PP. Do you want to risk by sending originals ?????

okay will do that then. thanks

At last docs reached Chicago

At last docs reached Chicago. I will collect in person in the new year. No hurry waiting for good weather to drive. I could make it for tomorrow but the Consulate is open 0900-1100 and do not want to risk the travel and told to come later.

application sent 09/15/2010
application recd 09/17/2010
Acknowledged 12/01/2010
photo scanned 12/03/2010
regn status 12/04/2010
docs printed 12/09/2010
sent from India 12/14/2010
recd chicago 12/30/2010

Why did it take 16 days for OCI to reach Chicago, GOK/ snail mail.

At last docs reached Chicago. I will collect in person in the new year. No hurry waiting for good weather to drive. I could make it for tomorrow but the Consulate is open 0900-1100 and do not want to risk the travel and told to come later.

application sent 09/15/2010
application recd 09/17/2010
Acknowledged 12/01/2010
photo scanned 12/03/2010
regn status 12/04/2010
docs printed 12/09/2010
sent from India 12/14/2010
recd chicago 12/30/2010

Why did it take 16 days for OCI to reach Chicago, GOK/ snail mail.

finally congratulations to you. I mailed mine today and hoping it will be back in 10-15 days. let see.

It is almost like watching someone run an obstacle course !! Best wishes for the safe and speedy return of your passport(s).
One would hope that after Chicago CGI lets the Travisa take over this process, things will run a lot smoother.

Hi all,

I have mailed the OCI Docs + SC docs on Nov 28th.. Any idea when this would be acknowledged? Some of the signatures I see show 2 weeks, some show 2 months..

Thanks.

see my time line for more idea.

OCI + Surrender Certificate Family Application
10/14/2010 - Application sent via USPS certified
11/16/2010 - Received SC by USPS express mail
11/27/2010 - Date Of Acknowledgment
12/01/2010 - Photo Scanned
12/04/2010 - Registration Status - Granted
12/08/2010 - PRINTED
12/14/2010 - Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on
12/29/2010 - Documents Received at Chicago Consulate
12/30/2010 - sent US passports to Consulate
XX/XX/XXXX - received passport with OCI and visa sticker.

Thanks for sharing. You are almostthere.

Thanks for the reply.

Just when I started wondering.. I got our SC and cancelled Indian passports in the mail last night. Relieved that consulate is working on our case.

Thanks!

Although my application was "acknowledged" on Dec 7th and Photo Scanned on Dec 17th, it has not moved to "Granted" stage yet on Jan 4th. The time span between Scaned and Granted seems to vary a lot in Chicago-CGI.

Although my application was "acknowledged" on Dec 7th and Photo Scanned on Dec 17th, it has not moved to "Granted" stage yet on Jan 4th. The time span between Scaned and Granted seems to vary a lot in Chicago-CGI.

you will get it soon. might because of holiday season... good luck

Hi all,

I have mailed the OCI Docs + SC docs on Nov 28th.. Any idea when this would be acknowledged? Some of the signatures I see show 2 weeks, some show 2 months..

Thanks.

We both are in Same boat... I did on same date to Chicago.. I got today acknowledgement..See my Signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will I get an email saying my application was acknowledged? or will it be on their online inquiry site?

Thanks!