OCI - Chicago Tracker

OCO at chicago-updates

Here are the movements of our OCI applications. The latest additions are in RED.

I along with my family (total 4 members) posted our applications on 5th December.

App reached Chicago : 08-Dec-2007
Date Of Acknowledgment: 05-Jan-2008
Registration Status : 12-Jan-2008
Photo/Signature : 12-Jan-2008
Documents Printing Status : 14-Jan-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On : 16-Jan-2008
Documents Received at CHICAGO :NOT YET
Passport Recieved (with OCI registration): NOT YET

I will update the process as and when it happens.

Hope you all have good luck.

SHARK

Last edited by a moderator:
Incompetence!!!

Hi All,

An update on my OCI story..

I applied in Apr'07 and finally my application was acknowledged in Nov 2007. I was taking a trip outside the country in December/January, so I did not mail my passport (was planning to do it at the end of January). But yesterday, my application ( along with my money order) was returned due to the reason 'Insufficient mailing fee'. They increased the mailing fee from $15 to $20. Nobody is picking up the phone at the consulate (to get some info on my application). I guess I will have to drive to Chicago now.. Any advice??

Applied : Apr 4th, 2007
Acknow: Nov 7th, 2007
Reg Granted : Nov 7th, 2007
Documents printed : Nov 10th, 2007
Doc. Received at Chicago : Nov 29th, 2007

Hopefully you all are having better luck than me.

My application got granted and printed in 1 week.

It looks like Chicago is Processing OCI application real fast. My application got granted and printed in 1 week, yupe just 7 days. Here is my track record

Application for 4.

App arrived Chicago : 29th Dec 2007 USPS Priority Mail
Date Of Acknowledgment: 10th Jan 2008
Registration Status : Granted - 16th Jan 2008
Photo/Signature : Scanned - 16th Jan 2008
Documents Printing Status : PRINTED: 17th JAN 2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On : 21st JAN 2008

I will update you all on other activities.

My Application had these doucments.

1. I have notarized all photocopies of my required documents in 2 sets.

2. I sent 3cmx3cm photos as required, as when I called and spoke with Mr. Khatri in Chicago office he told me that only 3cmx3cm photots can be scanned.

Passport size photos will not be accepted. ---- as per Mr. Khatri (OCI application incharged)

Good Luck to all :)

Good !!!

Hi Desi90,
That is really quick. Unfiortunately, my application (for 2) was acknowledged on 01/12 but still it showing as 'Under Process'. I thought that it would be granted in couple of days after yours but that does not seem to be the case.
I do not know what is going on with my application.

- Sandy boy

Same here..
My application (for 4) was acknowledged on 01/12 but still it showing as 'Under Process'. Looks like there is small stall in the process...will let you know if there is any progress

Viper1

Update on Chicago process

Thanks Viper1. Pls, update this link if you get any further updates on your case and I will do the same. That way we can kind of know as to what is going on with our application process.
- Sandy boy

process seems to be moving along

Update on my application ....

Application for 4.

App arrived Chicago : 20th Dec 2007
Date Of Acknowledgment: 12th Jan 2008
Registration Status : Granted - 25th Jan 2008
Photo/Signature : Scanned - 25th Jan 2008
Documents Printing Status : PRINTED: 25th JAN 2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On : 28th Jan 2008

Viper1

3 * 3 photo

Desi90,
Yes I did send 3 * 3 photo and I also assume that had there been any problem with my application Chicago consulate would not have acknoledged my application but would have returned the same to me w/o generating the file #. (Atleast that is what I could get from posts of other members).
Keeping fingers crossed.

- Sandy Boy

Some update !!!

Hi,
At last there is some update on my case.

Registration Status Granted On 26-JAN-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 26-JAN-2008
Documents Printing Status 28-JAN-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at CHICAGO NOT YET

Will post further updates as they happen.

- Sandy boy:)

Documents Printing Status : 14-Jan-2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On : 16-Jan-2008

I will update the process as and when it happens.

Hope you all have good luck.

SHARK[/QUOTE]

Hello Shark,

Any Update on your documents? Did they arrive at Chicago? Not sure How long it takes to arrie after they are dispatched from New Delhi?

Thanks

Still Waiting!

My documents have not arrived yet at Chicago.

According to my analysis, most of the OCI documents arrive on Fridays (with some exceptions).

The OCI website says that after 10 days of dispatch notice, one can contact the consulate for U-visa. This means, it should take maximum of 10 days for the documents to arrive at Chicago after dispatch from Delhi.

However, since 26th January was a holiday, there may be some delay for us. I am expecting the arrival of the documents anytime now (today or tomorrow). If not then I will contact the consulate.

Will keep you all updated.

Shark

an update on my application, process seems to be moving along

Update on my application ....

Application for 4.

App arrived Chicago : 20th Dec 2007
Date Of Acknowledgment: 12th Jan 2008
Registration Status : Granted - 25th Jan 2008
Photo/Signature : Scanned - 25th Jan 2008
Documents Printing Status : PRINTED: 25th JAN 2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On : 28th Jan 2008

Viper1

Update: Got my OCI Cards and U-Visa on US passports

Mailed our passports to Chicago Consulate on 11/20 and some really inept people at the Chicago Consulate refused my package on 11/23 (as seen on the delivery confirmation tracking website).

I had clearly written with Bold typeface "FOR OCI COLLECTION" on the front and back of the envelope, so they do not confuse it with new OCI application.

I guess they are beyond any hope as far their efficiency is concerned. Now, I plan to go down to the office in person to get my OCI.

Update:
My plans to go in person during December did not materialize due to bad weather conditions. Hence I mailed the same packet (US Passports, etc) to the consulate on Jan-07 via USPS Priority and Delivery Confirmation

01/07/2008: Mailed documents for the 2nd time.
01/09/2008: Documents received by Chicago Consulate
01/22/2008: Email sent to info@indianconsulate.com requesting information.

01/28-01/30: Called several times. Not all times the call was answered. But whenever someone picked up the phone, they would just disconnect the phone without saying a word.

01/31/2008: Received OCI and US Passports with U-Visa stickers via Express Mail. I had prepaid for documents to be shipped to me when I applied for the OCI. What a relief. Hopefully, I never have to deal with them again.

Good luck to all.

OCI Received in Detroit: Timeline

I applied for OCI for four of us in my family. Given below is the timeline and some related info.

12/15/2007: Mailed Applications from Detroit by Priority Mail.
12/18/2007: Application Delivered to the Consulate.

01/03/2008: Date of Acknowledgment.
01/04/2008: Registration Status Granted.
01/04/2008: Photo/Signature Scanned.
01/04/2008: Documents Printed.
01/07/2008: Documents Dispatched from Delhi.
01/11/2008: Documents Received in Chicago.

01/12/2008: Mailed Passports & Online Status Printouts by Priority Mail.
01/15/2008: Passports Delivered to the Consulate.

<long wait - nothing seemed to be happening.>

01/29/2008: Called OCI Status Hotline in Chicago (See details below).
01/30/2008: Called OCI Status Hotline in Chicago (See details below).
01/31/2008: Called OCI Status Hotline in Chicago (See details below).

01/31/2008: Sent an e-mail to the Consular Officer, expressing concern over the delay.
01/31/2008: Received Passports w/ U Visa, and OCI Documents by Express Mail.
02/01/2008: Sent another e-mail to the Consular Officer, saying "Never mind, I'm all set."

Overall, I would say that the processing of my application went really fast, beginning to end.

(Details about the status inquiry phone call: On the 29th, 30th and 31st, I called the OCI Status Enquiry number 312-95-0415 repeatedly from 4 pm to 5 pm (CST). I had my phone set to auto-redial, so that I wouldn't waste even a single minute without retrying during these short, one-hour windows. 90% of the call attempts resulted in a "busy-tone." At other times, I heard the "ring-back" tone, as if the phone was ringing. It would ring for about 3 or 4 minutes, and then I would hear the recorded message

"Your party is not answering. Please try your call later. We are sorry, but your call will now be disconnected. 0143"

following which, the call would get disconnected. In other words, no success after three hours of continuous attempts.)

Other Trivia:
The photographs that I had included in the application met their exact specifications: 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, off-white background, darker-colored clothes, slight clear area above the head, etc. In spite of that, the pictures that are on the U Visa and the OCI documents are stretched laterally; i.e., crushed top-to-bottom.
The valid Indian Passports that I had mailed were returned rubber-stamped "CANCELLED"
When I mailed the passports, I had marked the Priority Mail envelope with the words "COLLECTION OF OCI DOCUMENTS" in HUGE (really really HUGE letters that almost covered one entire face of the envelope). I thought changing the words in the phrase even a little would cause my mail to be rejected (and really, there was no reason to change the phrase anyways). The reason I mention this is that I read another post on this thread about the mail containing the passports not being accepted at the consulate, and noticed that the marking on the envelope in that case was worded differently than what was on their instructions... Bottom line: Don't apply common sense. Don't try to be reasonable. Just stick to the rules.

Hello Shark

My documents have not arrived yet at Chicago.

According to my analysis, most of the OCI documents arrive on Fridays (with some exceptions).

The OCI website says that after 10 days of dispatch notice, one can contact the consulate for U-visa. This means, it should take maximum of 10 days for the documents to arrive at Chicago after dispatch from Delhi.

However, since 26th January was a holiday, there may be some delay for us. I am expecting the arrival of the documents anytime now (today or tomorrow). If not then I will contact the consulate.

Will keep you all updated.

Shark

Hello Shark,

Any Update on your documents? Did they arrive at Chicago? Not sure How long it takes to arrie after they are dispatched from New Delhi? My documents was dispatched on Jan 21 but still no date next to arrival at Chicago.

OCI Received in michigan: Timeline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I applied for OCI for one application . Given below is the timeline and some related info.

08/15/2007: Mailed Applications by Priority Mail.
08/18/2007: Application Delivered to the Consulate.
After long wait
11/26/2007: Date of Acknowledgment.
11/26/2007: Registration Status Granted.
11/26/2007: Photo/Signature Scanned.
11/27/2007: Documents Printed.
12/01/2007: Documents Dispatched from Delhi.
12/15/2007: Documents Received in Chicago.

12/17/2007: Mailed Passports & Online Status Printouts by Priority Mail.
12/20/2007: Passports Delivered to the Consulate.
01/03/2008: Received Passports w/ U Visa, and OCI Documents by Express Mail.

Hello Desi90

My documents are yet to be recieved at Chicago. I am totally in dark about this abrupt delay. It seems every application beyond the date the dispatch date of 16 is yet too be recived at Chicago. I have sent several emails to Chicago without any repsponse. SThis is also surprising since earlier, my emails were responded promtly anod now they have gone totally silent.

The note below the OCI tracking site of NIC mentions that one should contact the respective consulate after 10 days from date of dispatch of OCI documents from N Delhi. This means, we are entitled to contact them. But whom to contact if they deliberately dont want to be contacted!!

SHARK

Frustrating

Shark,
I know that this is frustrating. The Chicago staff perhaps is under impression that they are in India & can behave the same way as if they are in India. Just try to call Railways or any govt. office in India during work hours & see what happens. I believe this matter needs to be taken at a higher level (foreign ministry). But what are the chances that it is going to help?

I would suggest that you send a FAX to the consulate clearly indicating your frustration and C what happens.

- Sandy boy