OCI - Chicago Tracker

I sent the Indian passport for Cancellation along with my OCI Application 3 weeks back (Jan19, 2007) . When are they suppose to send back the canceled Indian passport to me?

Hi rkumarcp,

Did you get your cancelled passport back?

FYI..

OCI applications are accepted by mail only for people planning to apply in person. Not sure why but thats the process in Chicago. But I had my Indian passport cancelled in less than a min. and was told they prefer to have copies of cancelled passport pages along with OCI app.

PartA online:02-09-07
Application Mailed: 02-10-07
Mail reached Chicago: 02-12-07
Acknowledged:04/16/2007
Registration Status:Granted 04/26/2007
Photo Scaned:Scanned 04/26/2007
Document Printed:04/27/2007
Dispatched from Delhi:04/27/2007
Recieved at Chicago:----

Last edited by a moderator:
We received our OCI cards + U visa sticker yesterday. The Indian consulate, Chicago rocks and has very quick turnaround time.

Our OCI was granted on March 8, 2007 and received by consulate on March 17, 2007. Mailed US passports + Indian passports on March 19 and recd by consulate on March 22. Reced cancelled Indian passports + OCI Registration document + U visa affixed in US passports on March 30.

My experience in dealing with the Indian consulate in Chicago has been very positive and they have been very prompt in responding to email queries.

Congratulations, Burbs1.

Did you send passports ( US and Indian ), for all family members in a single envelope ?

Thanks.

Yes just me and my spouse were sent in one envelope. Mr Badwal who handles the email for OCI enquiries in Chicago consulate is very prompt in responding when there are issues. I applied on Jan 9, 2007 and was granted on March 7, 2007. The acknowledgement date was Feb 12, 2007.

Chicago - slowest ??

It seems like of all the CGIs, Chicago is the slowest in processing OCI applications. Somewhere in the vicinity of 3 mos??

Seems like most people are not even receiving an acknowledgement in the self-addressed envelope they are enclosing !!

NY and SFO are moving quite fast, followed by Houston and DC.

Dc

DC is slowest and most random....I know there are applicants who applied with me/after me and have already been granted. It's sad but true! At least you all have got some one who responds, not in case of DC office though!

Good Luck everyone..

I saw my status online at

http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

It's showing Status - Granted
Documents received at Chicago on Apr-09-2007

At this time should I wait for any letter/email/call from the Consulate to send the US passport or I should send it without waiting for any letter/email/call from the Consulate ?

What everyone does at this point in processing?

Thanks

Chicago OCI

Here is my timeline:

02/07/07 Online Registation and Maling the application to Chicago
02/10/07 Documents Reach Chicago (USPS)
?? Acknowledgement

Chicago OCI
Here is my timeline:

02/07/07 Online Registation and Maling the application to Chicago
02/10/07 Documents Reach Chicago (USPS)
04/18/07 Acknowledged
?? - Granted/Scanned/Printed/Dispatched from Delhi
?? - Documents Received at Chicago
?? - Passports reach Chicago

Canadian Citizen, applied for OCI at Chicago

Hi, I am a Canadian Citizen.
And i applied for OCI through chicago consulate. File acknowledgement date is shown as Feb 15 on the web though to date i have not received any email or ack slip about the same. Its more than 2 months and there is still no change in status or information on the web. I see on the web that recent applications have been approved , not sure what is holding my application.

Posting any Non US citizen expereince would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OCI Granted

PartA:02-09-2007
Mailed:02-10-2007
Recieved at Chicago:02-12-2007
Acknowledged: 04-16-2007
Registration Status: Granted 04/26/2007
Photo Scanned 04/26/2007
Documents Printed: 04/27/2007
Documents Despatched from Delhi: 04/27/2007
Documents Recieved at Chicago: ----
(Same dates for my son's too)

PartA:02-09-2007
Mailed:02-10-2007
Recieved at Chicago:02-12-2007
Acknowledged: 04-16-2007
Registration Status: Granted 04/26/2007
Photo Scanned 04/26/2007
Documents Printed: 04/27/2007
Documents Despatched from Delhi: 04/27/2007
Documents Recieved at Chicago: ----
(Same dates for my son's too)
Oh Boy!!

Its taking progressively longer to get OCI app processed via Chicago Consulate. Based on your time line, I hope to get acknowledged around May 9 (64 days). Hope it doesn't get worse then that.