OCI - Chicago Tracker

Received Ackd after 5 months

The online status today for the OCI's for me and my daughter states its ackd, granted, printed & docs dispatched from Delhi. No letter or email from from consulate yet. It took 5 months to get the ackd's to OCI's. Still need to wait the docs to reach the Chic consulate. How long to wait no idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have there been cases of Chichago consulate sending paper or Email Acks?

Looking at people in this thread complain about not receiving any acknowledgement from the Chicago consulate, it makes me wonder!

All the other consulates do NOT send any form of acknolewdgement either when they receive your OCI application or also when they receive the approved OCI documents from Delhi.

As per the so often repeated instructions, you are supposed to -
1. check your OCI application status online on the MHA web site (that is why you need to hold on to your online registration number).
2. When status changes to Acknowledged it means that your application has been acknowledged both by your consulate and also by the MHA officals in Delhi.
3. And when finally the status on that web page says that documents have been received at your consulate, then you blindly mail your US passport(s) to them for getting the OCI visa sticker and booklet. They use the return postage fee you gave them with application form to send you back your passports.

Sometimes the consulates and MHA officals work fast, and many times they work slow also. There are contact email addresses in other threads in this newsgroup which you can try if you think there is really some problem.

Why then are some people who mailed their applications to Chicago consulate, still waiting for paper or email acknowledgements from them? I am just curious...

E-mail id of Chicago Consulate

Which e-mail id did you use to communicate with Chicago Consulate? Can you please send that to me/us?

Thanks.

cp485 said:
havefun,

I did reapply Sep 28th, but I was told by the consulate (by email) that there are sending acknowledgements for applications submitted last week of July and first week of August.

So I'm not looking for my acknowledgement for atleast another couple of months.

When did you apply? Did you get your acknowledgement yet?

cp485

You do receive paper ackd

alt said:
Looking at people in this thread complain about not receiving any acknowledgement from the Chicago consulate, it makes me wonder!

All the other consulates do NOT send any form of acknolewdgement either when they receive your OCI application or also when they receive the approved OCI documents from Delhi.

As per the so often repeated instructions, you are supposed to -
1. check your OCI application status online on the MHA web site (that is why you need to hold on to your online registration number).
2. When status changes to Acknowledged it means that your application has been acknowledged both by your consulate and also by the MHA officals in Delhi.
3. And when finally the status on that web page says that documents have been received at your consulate, then you blindly mail your US passport(s) to them for getting the OCI visa sticker and booklet. They use the return postage fee you gave them with application form to send you back your passports.

Sometimes the consulates and MHA officals work fast, and many times they work slow also. There are contact email addresses in other threads in this newsgroup which you can try if you think there is really some problem.

Why then are some people who mailed their applications to Chicago consulate, still waiting for paper or email acknowledgements from them? I am just curious...

You do receive the paper ackd after the case is granted. I got it last week.

Applied for OCI at Chicago !

Hello friends, Here is my status.

Oct 31 2006 - Applied for OCI at Chicago.

Got number starting with USACIxxxxx series. Looks like it is a long wait at Chicago, 1)to get acknowledgement letter 2)to get OCI. Please post your status. Thanks. :rolleyes:

OCI at Chicago

Hi,
Please see my OCI timeline below,

Online submission: 10/23/06
Posted USPS : 10/28/06
Date Delivered : 11/1/06

OCI Application acknowledged and Granted

I am shocked and pleasantly surprised to find out that applications of my family have been acknowledged by Chicago Consulate/GOI just within 3 weeks of sending it.

Application Delivered at Chicago Consulate : 10/24/2006
Application Acknowledged : 11/11/2006.
OCI Granted : 11/13/2006

OCI has not been printed so far.

So my dear friends, if you have sent your application in and around and earlier than my date then your application, if complete in all aspects, should be acknowledged by now.

I was pretty sure that my application won't be acknowledged till Christmas or so. I am really quite shocked but very happy to see that it has been acknowledged much earlier.

Good Luck to others.

Thanks,
havefun.

OCI Printed.

Now OCI has been printed too.

It has not been dispatched though.

havefun said:
I am shocked and pleasantly surprised to find out that applications of my family have been acknowledged by Chicago Consulate/GOI just within 3 weeks of sending it.

Application Delivered at Chicago Consulate : 10/24/2006
Application Acknowledged : 11/11/2006.
OCI Granted : 11/13/2006

OCI has not been printed so far.

So my dear friends, if you have sent your application in and around and earlier than my date then your application, if complete in all aspects, should be acknowledged by now.

I was pretty sure that my application won't be acknowledged till Christmas or so. I am really quite shocked but very happy to see that it has been acknowledged much earlier.

Good Luck to others.

Thanks,
havefun.

Lucky you because I have been using the same form and I have not had any luck.

I have sent mine on 10/6 and no response yet.

I am very sorry to hear that. I hope yours will be done very soon.

invest2bfree said:
Lucky you because I have been using the same form and I have not had any luck.

I have sent mine on 10/6 and no response yet.

OCI dispatched.

Now OCI has been dispatched too from Delhi.

Hopefully it will be in Chicago by middle of next week.

Can someone tell me that do we really need to wait for acknowledgement slip to come from Chicago Consulate before passport can be sent fot U visa? or the moment I see my File Number appear on web site, I can send passports to Chicago Consualte.

Please share your experience.

havefun said:
Now OCI has been printed too.

It has not been dispatched though.

havefun said:
Now OCI has been dispatched too from Delhi.

Hopefully it will be in Chicago by middle of next week.

Can someone tell me that do we really need to wait for acknowledgement slip to come from Chicago Consulate before passport can be sent fot U visa? or the moment I see my File Number appear on web site, I can send passports to Chicago Consualte.

Please share your experience.

You will get the acknowledgement letter from the consulate probably by the end of this week. I got mine after 4 days of the online status ackd. After you get the ackd letter and the file number displayed in the Chicago consulate website you can send the passports for the OCI sticker along with the copy of the ackd letter. If you see instructions on consulate website it has stated that you need to attach the copy of ackd letter along with the passports for sticker. I did send passports for the OCI sticker today along with the ackd letter copy.

OCI granted :)

Hello:

Finally OCI granted :)

Please see my updated timelines below in my signature. I also saw the file numbers of all my family members in the chicago website saying that the OCI document and U-stickers are ready.

My questions:

1. I have to send a copy of the acknowledgment and the US passports. Do I need to send my cancelled indian passports too?
2. My daughter is a PIO card holder. I need to send the original PIO card right?
3. Have anyone obtained the OCI document and U-sticker by directly going to consulate. Do they return it on the same day? I am travelling to India in the first week of December and I would like to go to the consulate if they take more than two weeks to send the US passports

Appreciate your reply. Thanks

cp485 said:
Hello:

Finally OCI granted :)

Please see my updated timelines below in my signature. I also saw the file numbers of all my family members in the chicago website saying that the OCI document and U-stickers are ready.

My questions:

1. I have to send a copy of the acknowledgment and the US passports. Do I need to send my cancelled indian passports too?
No, you do not need to send the original cancelled Indian passports. But do send the photocopies of the cancelled Indian passports to avoid any unnecessary delays if they ever feel the need to check them.
cp485 said:
2. My daughter is a PIO card holder. I need to send the original PIO card right?
Yes. They will cancel the PIO card and probably send the cancelled card back to you.
cp485 said:
3. Have anyone obtained the OCI document and U-sticker by directly going to consulate. Do they return it on the same day? I am travelling to India in the first week of December and I would like to go to the consulate if they take more than two weeks to send the US passports

Appreciate your reply. Thanks
Don't know the answer to that. I will let someone else answer this one.

Canadian_38 and cp485,

How is Chicago Consulate doing in sending the passports back to the applicant after pasting 'U' Visa sticker? When did you send the passports to them and how long did Consulate take to send it back to you? Your timeline could provide some clue.

I have seen Washington taking quite some time for few candidates to send the passports back. This is one things we are all trying to avoid but does not know how.

So please share your experience.

I mailed my passports on 11/18 and the consulate recieved it on 11/21. Waiting for the passorts with visa sticker. Once I recieve I will post the update.

havefun said:
Canadian_38 and cp485,

How is Chicago Consulate doing in sending the passports back to the applicant after pasting 'U' Visa sticker? When did you send the passports to them and how long did Consulate take to send it back to you? Your timeline could provide some clue.

I have seen Washington taking quite some time for few candidates to send the passports back. This is one things we are all trying to avoid but does not know how.

So please share your experience.