OCI - Chicago Tracker

OCI package returned !!!

After nearly two months, my OCI package was returned due to the fact that I signed on the photographs. It looks like I'm not supposed to sign over the photographs.

I'll reapply sometime this week

Thanks

Just curious

Hello All,

My Oath is on Oct 3rd, So I am assuming I will get my passport by end Of Oct (expedited). I am planing to goto India in Mid-Dec. My question is, Do I have enough time to apply for OCI or PIO, or should I apply for Visa and then apply for OCI after I returned from India ?

Thanks
RK

rk1234us said:
Hello All,

My Oath is on Oct 3rd, So I am assuming I will get my passport by end Of Oct (expedited). I am planing to goto India in Mid-Dec. My question is, Do I have enough time to apply for OCI or PIO, or should I apply for Visa and then apply for OCI after I returned from India ?

Thanks
RK

I think you have plenty of time for PIO. Not enough time for OCI unless you live in NYCGI jurisdiction. PIO takes about 3 weeks. OCI takes 3 months or more.

Here is my timeline

Sent OCI documents : 09/05/06
OCI documents reached consulate : 09/6/05

I have not received any acknowledgement notice since then.
Can someone pl post your timelines..

Lp

I sent my OCI application on Sept 16, 06, and am waiting for the acknowledgement. Like some others here, I too forgot to note down the application number after filling Part A online, and did not make any copies of the documents sent, so I don't know how to track my application.

Sent OCI documents: July 25, 2006 by USPS
Received OCI documents: July 26 2006
Status Updated with ACKW Date: 9/29/2006
OCI Printed On: 9/30/2006
Passport Stamped: Waiting

I sent mine in yesterday. I even sent my indian passports to cancel.

I wrote them a letter and asked them to send the cancelled passport and receipt all in the return priority envelope.

I did not send them 2 envelopes.

I thought OCI could be completed in 2 months.

OCI Reference Number

When I generated the OCI Applicatio, I got numbers starting with USACI088ABCD. But looking at Chicago Consulate Site
I find File Number starting with USACxxxx and NOT with USACI.

My Registration number has USACI...I am not sure it is a new sequence or there is some other problem that is going on?

Also, my number is 088ABCD while the same web site number is 0033...Is File number different than Registration Number?

Any idea? Please help.

Timeline posted by some people on OCI Chicago Tracker suggests that Chicago Consulate is slow to acknowledge OCI Application while NY and Washington D.C. are quite fast. Could it be resource issue at Chicago. Initially when OCI started, Chicago used to be pretty fast but not any more.

Well, I can't change the place so I am pretty much stuck with Chicago Consulate.

Good Luck.

No acknowledgement yet

havefun,

I did reapply Sep 28th, but I was told by the consulate (by email) that there are sending acknowledgements for applications submitted last week of July and first week of August.

So I'm not looking for my acknowledgement for atleast another couple of months.

When did you apply? Did you get your acknowledgement yet?

cp485

Thanks cp485 for your reply.

I am far behind. I just sent it yesterday. I am NOT expecting any acknowledgement till December 31, 2006 at the earliest.

havefun said:
Thanks cp485 for your reply.

I am far behind. I just sent it yesterday. I am NOT expecting any acknowledgement till December 31, 2006 at the earliest.

Hi
I completed online application, the website mentions about the copy of naturalization certificate/US passport, however as per the US law you cannot copy the certificate. So how the heck do i solve that problem.

do we need to send the original certificate ?

here is what i am planning to send for me and my wife

5 photos ( 3 + 2affixed)
fee
copy of us passport
copy of india passport
self address envelope
check for 18 dollars ( i am applying as a family)

for my kids OCI i am sending following

copy of their us passport
copy of our us passport
copy of our india passport
copy of their pio card
copy of their birth cert
fee
5 photos ( 3 + 2 affix)

did i miss anything.

Also can i apply for OCI in person and get it the same day ?

What does self attest mean ?
How strict are they with the photos ?

thanks in advance.

You can make Black and White copy of your Naturalisation certificate.
Self attest means just sign the document.

OCI takes 2 months minimum. Documents will have to be sent to India and new ones are brought back from India.

I sent US passport sized photos.

Did you cancel your Indian passports?
If not send it along with the app for cancellation.

invest2bfree said:
You can make Black and White copy of your Naturalisation certificate.
Self attest means just sign the document.

OCI takes 2 months minimum. Documents will have to be sent to India and new ones are brought back from India.

I sent US passport sized photos.

Did you cancel your Indian passports?
If not send it along with the app for cancellation.

The naturalization certificate clearly states that
" IT IS PUNISHABLE BY U.S. LAW TO COPY, PRINT OR PHOTOGRAPH THIS CERTIFICATE WITHOUT LAWFUL AUTHORITY"

I also remember during the oath ceremony that they told us that we can make a copy for our own benefit for our record, but not for anything else.

so this means... it is a no go.

and btw.. the chicago consulate #...nobody picks up the phone neither they reply to the email.

There is a long thread in the US Citizenship forum regarding copying the certificate. Search for it.

The law states that you cannot copy in the intent of commiting fraud.

If you really want to be safe make a copy and write copy in bold letters on top.

I just sent the copy of nat just to be safe. It wouldnt be fun would it if the Consulate returns your app after 2 months because you did not enclose nat certificate would it?

It is ok to copy the nat cert for submitting the copies with applications where needed.

At my oath ceremony also we were told that even though it says on cert it is unlawful to make a copy, many departments in US govt also require a copy of the cert.

So then we were told that we were being "granted the lawful authority" to make as many copies of the cert as we wanted for the purpose of submitting those copies to various places that asked for them. :)

USACI.... is probably the new sequence

When I filled my Part A/B the registration numbers on 9/21 they were USACI... series. So you are not alone :) I am guessing in the next month I should get the acknowledgement and then we might see these series starting (couple of months from now).

Did you ever receive Acknowledement Slip from Consulate?

As per their guidelines, I sent pre-paid self-addressed envelope with OCI Application but was wondering whether Chicago Consulate go by any standard practice and ever acknowledge the applications as they claim.

cp485, It has been almost a month since you mailed, I was wondering whether you got any paper acknolwdgement from Consulate?

Or, Paper Acknowledgement is nothing ..just wait for on line acknowledgement.

Please share your experience.

cp485 said:
havefun,

I did reapply Sep 28th, but I was told by the consulate (by email) that there are sending acknowledgements for applications submitted last week of July and first week of August.

So I'm not looking for my acknowledgement for atleast another couple of months.

When did you apply? Did you get your acknowledgement yet?

cp485