• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Mijoro

Hey OC Gang

Here is a place where we can talk about our move to the states, share tips and keep in touch with each other.

First question did y’all mostly use the health insurance links that Simon posted or use the ACA plans when first moving over?

What do you think would be the go with getting a car? I’ve noticed leasing is very popular so wondering if I should try to lease a car or just buy a second hand cheapy to start with?

What do you think would be the go with getting a car? I’ve noticed leasing is very popular so wondering if I should try to lease a car or just buy a second hand cheapy to start with?
Although I’m not an OC person, here are my 2 cents on the car convo: buying a 2nd hand cheapy to start is a great idea; you can find great cars in great condition between $3k and $5k, and if it’s a brand that doesn’t lose value fast, when you’re ready for a slightly newer car, you could even resell it later for the price you bought it initially. Leasing is only good if you don’t drive that much.

I am just going to buy an inexpensive car to begin with - maybe about $10K. I don't want to have to pay too much for insurance - so i don't want a car that is worth a lot of money, especially as I haven't had that much practice at driving in the US of late...

I have been tossing and turning with this as well. My guy instinct is to buy an older car secondhand and rip around in that till I have a steady income and then get a car loan. Also getting a car loan prior to having a decent credit rating means you will pay more monthly if I understand correctly.

I am just going to buy an inexpensive car to begin with - maybe about $10K. I don't want to have to pay too much for insurance - so i don't want a car that is worth a lot of money, especially as I haven't had that much practice at driving in the US of late...
My mother suggested buying a Sherman tank to start off with...me thinks she does not have faith in my driving skills.

I have been tossing and turning with this as well. My guy instinct is to buy an older car secondhand and rip around in that till I have a steady income and then get a car loan. Also getting a car loan prior to having a decent credit rating means you will pay more monthly if I understand correctly.
Sure, you may pay some more in interest if your credit rating is weak - but you can just pay off half of the loan in the first month to reduce the time remaining and thus the overall interest payment in dollar terms..

I'll probably drop about 50k on a brand new truck. But that's me. Not saying that's for everyone. And I won't be anywhere near a city, (traffic).

I have my SO keeping an eye out for a good deal while I’m still in Australia. As has been said can get a pretty good runabout car for under $5k just to get you through the beginning if needed. Everyone’s circumstance is different so this option is of course not for everyone.

Are most of y’all planning on staying in an air bnb vrbo or extended stay place before you secure work or are you going to sign a lease and pay the higher security deposit and get a long term place ( for those not buying straight away)

I’m kind curious as to why many of these non-OC specific questions are here rather than in the general life after Dv thread? I mean I can understand things like tax issues etc being in an OC specific thread.... these kind of things like car and rental have been discussed already and makes sense to me to continue In same place? Of course you’re entitled to your own thread, just curious.

I'll probably drop about 50k on a brand new truck. But that's me. Not saying that's for everyone. And I won't be anywhere near a city, (traffic).

Which means you'll drop about 25k in depreciation in 3 years... So - be prepared to keep that truck for along time to make it worthwhile (when the depreciation curve levels out.

When you drive a car, the value of your car isn't really the point. You can crash your old banger into a Ferrari - it does the same amount of damage to whatever you hit.

The only insurance cost advantage of a cheapie is you can choose to not have theft/repair coverage on your own vehicle.

Cheapie.

Leasing is basically you buying and financing the depreciation, plus interest and "rent charge". That's an OK idea if you can write of the lease on tax, but a bad idea if you can't. Just bought a Merc for example their lease residual value after three years is 53%. So basically I have to pay them for the 47% in the lease over that three years, plus the cost of the money and so on.