• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Oceana Police Check Question

Transient1

Hi guys,
Just a quick question, what kind of police check do I need to have done in NSW Australia? Do I need the fingerprint option, or just the police name and date of birth verification check?
Thanks in advance.....

AFP Check. Code 33 (which includes spent and unspent offences). No need for fingerprint check so long as the AFP check includes all known names.

Hi All - I've put in my request for the AFP Police Check but have chosen Code 35 (unspent offences, 10 years history) instead of Code 33 (spent and unspent offences, 20 years history).

Does anyone know if they've been able to use/have had luck with a Code 35 police check certificate or should I order a new Code 33 one? The AFP call centre says that Code 35 should be acceptable and the reciprocity rules don't necessarily state what code the certificate is.

Thanks in advance!

As I understand it both will give you your entire criminal history or lack of and are not just limited to 10 or 20 years

There are people who've gotten through with Code 35. But Code 33 is the one you should have because it includes all offences (both spent and unspent) and that's what the consulate prefers.

Depends on your tolerance for risk. There's a chance you go into AP with a Code 35 check if the CO is eagle-eye enough to pick it up. If you're happy with that as a possibility (albeit it's a remote possibility and I haven't heard of it happening myself), then try with the Code 35. If you want to cover all bases and eliminate avoidable risk, Code 33.

Hi All - I've put in my request for the AFP Police Check but have chosen Code 35 (unspent offences, 10 years history) instead of Code 33 (spent and unspent offences, 20 years history).

Does anyone know if they've been able to use/have had luck with a Code 35 police check certificate or should I order a new Code 33 one? The AFP call centre says that Code 35 should be acceptable and the reciprocity rules don't necessarily state what code the certificate is.

Thanks in advance!

I still don’t understand how he thinks either of them have a time limit on the searches they do (10 years vs 20 years) and why would you go with the more expensive but according to you less thorough option?

If you are doing the 10 year one because it won’t show older criminal records and you don’t declare them you run the risk of being banned from entering the United States altogether.

Better to be honest.

The US does its own checks anyway, which is why it's better to be completely transparent. We don't know what information gets shared but we know it does, and there's a good possibility the US already knows of crimes committed even without the police check.

The US does its own checks anyway, which is why it's better to be completely transparent. We don't know what information gets shared but we know it does, and there's a good possibility the US already knows of crimes committed even without the police check.

Definitely. Can’t remember if it was this forum or another that I’m on, but a few months back a guy reported arriving for his interview to be questioned on an expunged offense that happened years ago, that he’d left off his forms. I don’t know the final outcome (I think he was put on AP and then either didn’t update or I didn’t follow the rest of the thread), but they knew. Their background checks may not pick everything up but they pick up enough that this isn’t a risk one should take, especially if coming from a "friendly" country where there is a lot of cooperation between their respective agencies.

I should probably add a bit of background...

If you are doing the 10 year one because it won’t show older criminal records and you don’t declare them you run the risk of being banned from entering the United States altogether.

I still don’t understand how he thinks either of them have a time limit on the searches they do (10 years vs 20 years) and why would you go with the more expensive but according to you less thorough option?

I originally ordered a Code 35 certificate last week because this was the option that presented when selecting "OVERSEAS VISA" purposes. The Code 33 certificate was only available if you selected "Immigration/Citizenship for supply to Department of Immigration and Border Protection"

When I asked the person at the AFP call centre, a few days ago, what the difference was between a Code 33 and Code 35 certificate her reply was, "The only difference is that Code 35 only goes back 10 years and includes unspent offenses only. Code 33 goes back 20 years and includes spent and unspent offenses."

I'm not concerned about the 10 or 20 year time frame as I, fortunately, don't have any criminal history. My concern about the which code to present is because I've already ordered the Code 33 certificate last week before realising my mistake a few days ago. I just wanted to sound out and hear if anyone had any trouble using a Code 35 certificate (i.e. placed on AP) and, if possible, avoid paying another $42 if the Code 35 has largely been accepted - nothing more sinister than that. :)

I've ended up ordering another Code 33 certificate anyway, just to avoid any hassles.