Obtaining a work permit now??

MissBrittany

Hello, I have a question. Im happily married to my husband, and our first priority is getting him a job because right now we are in a very bad situation...We need a place to live....... we basically have nothing. I make $7.50 an hour working and thats not enough minimum to rent an apt... And so my husband needs a job very bad. We just want to pay what is necessary for him to work and help support us. We dont even have time to see a clearance in the future to get his citizenship and he doesn't care all he cares about is paying for the work permit so we can not be living on the street in a few weeks........ How can we go about getting his work permit... and fast? Can we get a marriage package or something? Anyone know anything I would love to hear from you.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
way before he gets to apply for citizenship, he needs to have a green card. There is an application for a GC (right now it's running at $1,010 + $355) and it includes an application for a work permit in it.

Did your husband enter the US legally?

if yes, he and you will need to file form I-130 and adjustment of status forms in the same envelope to Chicago lockbox. All the instructions are in the forms.

Hello, I have a question. Im happily married to my husband, and our first priority is getting him a job because right now we are in a very bad situation...We need a place to live....... we basically have nothing. I make $7.50 an hour working and thats not enough minimum to rent an apt... And so my husband needs a job very bad. We just want to pay what is necessary for him to work and help support us. We dont even have time to see a clearance in the future to get his citizenship and he doesn't care all he cares about is paying for the work permit so we can not be living on the street in a few weeks........ How can we go about getting his work permit... and fast? Can we get a marriage package or something? Anyone know anything I would love to hear from you.

Thank you so much.

First of all are you a U.S. Citizen?
If yes, then according to my knowledge, you will need to file for your husband's Adjustment of Status (AOS) based on the marraige with U.S. Citizen (Family Immigration) and the Forms you will require to file are I-130 & I-485 concurrently and also Form I-864.

Incase you do not earn enough to meet the poverty guidelines then you will need a co-sponsor and accordingly he/she will also be required to file additional I-864 (if he/she is not a member of your household) or I-864A (if he/she is a member of your household).

Along with these forms, you will need to file Form I-765 (Employment Authorization) requesting the work permit based on I-485 Pending.

If he needs to travel outside U.S. before he gets his Permenant Residency (Green Card), then he will also have to file Form I-131 (Advance Parole).

You can find all these Forms, filing instructions and applicable fees on USCIS website (USCIS.GOV).
Moreover, I also advice you to call their national information center and verify the information I have provided before proceeding further.

DISCLAIMER:
The above mentioned information is just my view.
I am NOT a lawyer NOR an immigration consultant.
My comments should NEVER be considered as legal or professional advice as they are not meant to be such.

Along with these forms, you will need to file Form I-131 (Employment Authorization) requesting the work permit based on I-485 Pending.

If he needs to travel outside U.S. before he gets his Permenant Residency (Green Card), then he will also have to file Form I-751 (Advance Parole).

I-765 is an application for a work permit, and I-131 is an application for a travel permit. Do not file or use I-131, since he might have been illegal for some time.

I replied to your PM.

Your husband can not "just" get a work permit. He must file for a Green Card and in the process of that he will obtain a work permit (EAD) within 60-90 days from the receipt date.

And yes, filing for AOS became a lot more expensive since July 30th.

You are looking at:
* Forms fees (mentioned above)
* Medical Exam = $150-300
* Passport Photos and document copies = $50
* Shipping cost = $5-20
* A few trips to your local USCIS office (meaning taking days off work) = $?

Plus you need to take a look at I-864P and I-864, you need to find a co-sponsor for you guys.

Hello and thank you for all your replies. Yes I am an American, and my husband DID enter the US legally.

Thank you for the knowledge I trust everyone here so much to help me through
this crazy process.

Depending on your husband's job and potential employer, he could also file for an H-1B nonimmigrant temporary worker status, if the ~$1400 for the GC application is too much for you to pay at this time. The advantage would be that the potential employer would typically pay for the fees in obtaining the H-1B status (but it would cost the employer several thousand dollars, especially if they have the H-1B filed through an attorney). I think there's also a hardship EAD you can look into. One of my roommates got that once, about 10 years ago, so I don't know how much has changed with hardship EADs since then.

Depending on your husband's job and potential employer, he could also file for an H-1B nonimmigrant temporary worker status

Unfortunately its got really difficult to get an H1B these days. The 65,000 available visas have been running out on the same day they become available. Even then, they are so over-subscribed that success is only due to your application being picked out of the lottery.

as I understand, her hubby may have been illegal for some time, so it might be impossible to change status to H1b, seeing how he is out of status.

Thank you so much.

Miss Brittany, did you ever check out the attorney we advised you to do back in September. I see you are still stressing about you and your husband situation.

So what, if anything has changed since you last posted here?
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=263359

Hopefully this thread will be a little more positive.

Actually, Id appreciate it if you left the past in the past.
And talk about this thread. Concerning that thread; it is no longer a thread.

Miss Brittany, did you ever check out the attorney we advised you to do back in September. I see you are still stressing about you and your husband situation.

...An attorney?
I barely have the money to put gas in my car.
No.

And Im not stressing out Im asking how we can get it and how fast it can
happen.
Thanks for caring though. ;)

First of all are you a U.S. Citizen?
If yes, then according to my knowledge, you will need to file for your husband's Adjustment of Status (AOS) based on the marraige with U.S. Citizen (Family Immigration) and the Forms you will require to file are I-130 & I-485 concurrently and also Form I-864.

Incase you do not earn enough to meet the poverty guidelines then you will need a co-sponsor and accordingly he/she will also be required to file additional I-864 (if he/she is not a member of your household) or I-864A (if he/she is a member of your household).

Along with these forms, you will need to file Form I-765 (Employment Authorization) requesting the work permit based on I-485 Pending.

If he needs to travel outside U.S. before he gets his Permenant Residency (Green Card), then he will also have to file Form I-131 (Advance Parole).

You can find all these Forms, filing instructions and applicable fees on USCIS website (USCIS.GOV).
Moreover, I also advice you to call their national information center and verify the information I have provided before proceeding further.

DISCLAIMER:
The above mentioned information is just my view.
I am NOT a lawyer NOR an immigration consultant.
My comments should NEVER be considered as legal or professional advice as they are not meant to be such.

Thank you so much for the information I am going to order the
US immigration marriage package that way I have all the forms ready to go.
Thank you. :p

Ms. Attitdue Brittany is back. Not enough money to by gas, sorry to hear that. We went round and round the last time you came for help. I do believe you are still in the same situation as before? So I would say, give Ms. Brittany your advise and move on, because she will turn on you like that, then erase all her post.

BTW if you read your first post, if that does not sound like stress then I don't know what to say. So hear's my advise to you, you need to come up with $1000+ to file AOS which will include the work permit. That's the only way period, no this and that, other wise he'll find himself working illegally. It took me 103 days to get it in my hands.

Good luck, you need with it with your attidude.

MissBrittany, look at this as an investment in your future, not an expenditure you're not sure you can afford. I don't know much about the complications in your case, but if they do require an attorney, you need to look at it as an investment also. If necessary, you'll have to borrow money.

7.50 an hour ain't bad. I'm assuming you only pay social security taxes so you're looking at about $1200 a month. That's almost 3x the price of my apartment and almost 2x my monthly expenditure. If you're frugal you should be able to save enough for GC and attorney in a couple of months.

By the way, as part of the process you need an affidavit of support for your husband. If I calculated it correctly you're about a grand short of the required amount. You either need a joint sponsor, include others in your household as sponsors, or save up about $3000 cash equivalent assets (separately from filing fees) before you can file.