Oath of Allegiance without (so help me God)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the wording was "So help me Zeus" or "So help me Satan", would you "just say those simple words and get it over with"?

Sure, no problemo, I would imagine it would be completely within my parallel universe self's belief system to do that if I lived in that parallel universe.

H

If the wording was "So help me Zeus" or "So help me Satan", would you "just say those simple words and get it over with"?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh....between you and me, don't tell no one. Zeus is from the ancient Greek Mythology. Thus he is not real. Unlike the "God" I believe in.

Satan, is real. But would any sane person actually ask for help from someone like Satan? (-:

come on Jacko wake up !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So jcuervo , when you refuse to say, " So help me God", for whatever reason you have, what would you actually prefer to say, " So help me king Kong" ? Or perhaps Tarzan? In your amazing mind that is supreme to all others hence your belief, who would you ask help from? A stone? The sun? Or may be David Beckham?
Oh wait, don't tell me you are offended by my comments now are you? Are you one of those people who actually get so mad that they go home and beat their wives because someone mentioned the word Xmas? Can't you just say those simple words and get it over with? will it kill you and people like you not to fuss wine moan and complain about every single little issue that you don't agree with?
It has been written that way for hundreds of years now. millions of people approve of it, and it makes absolute sense, except for you now?

And for your info, Atheism is NOT, I repeat, NOT a religion just like homosexuality is NOT normal.

Couldn't agree more...............well stated!

Sure, no problemo, I would imagine it would be completely within my parallel universe self's belief system to do that if I lived in that parallel universe.
In other words, in this universe they are not simple words that you can just say and get it over with.

I think some people are going a bit out of line with the comments. This is just a question that has a clear answer in the USCIS website. As far as I know there is freedom of religion in this country. This is not the type of forum to explore the virtues or vices of creationism or of any other religious belief.

One doesn't need to substitute the "so help me god" words for anything else, or to believe in some other supernatural being, like the flying spaghetti monster. Furthermore, this oath is not centuries old. Anyway, I am not telling people what to do, just that there is a freedom to choose what to say.

I think some people are going a bit out of line with the comments. This is just a question that has a clear answer in the USCIS website. As far as I know there is freedom of religion in this country. This is not the type of forum to explore the virtues or vices of creationism or of any other religious belief.

One doesn't need to substitute the "so help me god" words for anything else, or to believe in some other supernatural being, like the flying spaghetti monster. Furthermore, this oath is not centuries old. Anyway, I am not telling people what to do, just that there is a freedom to choose what to say.

If one does not in advance tell USCIS he will not say part of the oath and then just does not say it during the ceremony, will USCIS notice it and
deny his citizenship? I never been to a oath ceremony before but I
think a ot of people do that together, if you do not open your mouth, will that be noticed?

In private conversation, I hear a lot of people say they will not fight in a war
and primary reason is that they don't want to risk their own lives anyway.
Many of such people are realdy naturalized citizens and many others will be.
So willing to bear arms in case of war is just a formality and does not really mean anything.

I think some people are going a bit out of line with the comments. This is just a question that has a clear answer in the USCIS website. As far as I know there is freedom of religion in this country.

Exactly, freedom of religion. Atheism, is NOT a relegion. ;)

Freedom of religion includes the right to not practice a religion. Just as freedom of speech includes the right not to listen if not interested. There is no freedom to troll these boards though. Please do not feed the troll.

So jcuervo , when you refuse to say, " So help me God", for whatever reason you have, what would you actually prefer to say, " So help me king Kong" ? Or perhaps Tarzan? In your amazing mind that is supreme to all others hence your belief, who would you ask help from? A stone? The sun? Or may be David Beckham?
Oh wait, don't tell me you are offended by my comments now are you? Are you one of those people who actually get so mad that they go home and beat their wives because someone mentioned the word Xmas? Can't you just say those simple words and get it over with? will it kill you and people like you not to fuss wine moan and complain about every single little issue that you don't agree with?
It has been written that way for hundreds of years now. millions of people approve of it, and it makes absolute sense, except for you now?

And for your info, Atheism is NOT, I repeat, NOT a religion just like homosexuality is NOT normal.

No offense, but you're an ignorant.
Who cares if someone doesn't believe in any god?
What is normal? What is a religion? For example, I was baptized (as a Catholic) but I don't even remember the last time I went to church (no proud here, just a fact). And I do believe religions are the main causes of most of the wars humans fought and are fighting. Actually many scientists (actually people with much higher IQs than yours) are atheist. So what?
Based on your comments, I think the US are not the best fit for you.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh....between you and me, don't tell no one. Zeus is from the ancient Greek Mythology. Thus he is not real. Unlike the "God" I believe in.

Satan, is real. But would any sane person actually ask for help from someone like Satan? (-:

come one Jacko wake up !!!

FYI, for many people in this world, Zeus is just as real as your "God", whatever that is.
A little more tolerance would be appreciated in the middle of 2009.

Every person has a right to their own personnel beliefs and choices. Attacking someone since they don't share yours is not what this forum is about.

I do not SEE a reason for you to become an American then. You have to become one in order for the constitution to be effective with your personal views. So I guess you have to find an island somewhere in the pacific and stay alone. Even Etheists know that there is God and they were created and to be honest so many people who pronounce those words never even set a foot in any religious gatherings.
I do think that's quite rude to post on here especially when so many people are asking developmental questions.
YOU CANNOY HAVE A RIGHT OF A COUNTRY UNLESS YOU ARE A CITIZEN. SO YOU ARE NOT AS OF NOW AND THAT DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU. YOU CAN HOLD A PLACARD AFTER YOU BECOME ONE. OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE ON THE FIRST PLANE TO WHEREVER YOUR ORIGIN COUNTRY IS.
That is a slap in the face man.!!!!

YOU CANNOY HAVE A RIGHT OF A COUNTRY UNLESS YOU ARE A CITIZEN. SO YOU ARE NOT AS OF NOW AND THAT DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU. YOU CAN HOLD A PLACARD AFTER YOU BECOME ONE. OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE ON THE FIRST PLANE TO WHEREVER YOUR ORIGIN COUNTRY IS.
Writing in caps makes it more important? So if I read this correctly I will be deported if I don't believe in christian god? The person who said "The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma." should be deported too then according to you. Do you know who said that?

This country is great precisely because of it's diversity. We have people who believe in a deity and people who don't and they respect each other. I urge all religious fanatics here to respect other religions and those not practicing a religion too.

I do not SEE a reason for you to become an American then. You have to become one in order for the constitution to be effective with your personal views. So I guess you have to find an island somewhere in the pacific and stay alone. Even Etheists know that there is God and they were created and to be honest so many people who pronounce those words never even set a foot in any religious gatherings.
I do think that's quite rude to post on here especially when so many people are asking developmental questions.
That is a slap in the face man.!!!!

Question 51 from the Citizenship test

What are two rights of everyone living in the United States?

freedom of expression
freedom of speech
freedom of assembly
freedom to petition the government
freedom of worship
the right to bear arms

Thomas Jefferson said, “[The] best principles [of our republic] secure to all its citizens a perfect equality of rights.” Millions of immigrants have come to America to have these rights. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights give many of these rights to all people living in the United States. These rights include the freedom of expression, of religion, of speech, and the right to bear arms. All people living in the United States also have many of the same duties as citizens, such as paying taxes and obeying the laws.

No offense, but you're an ignorant.
Who cares if someone doesn't believe in any god?
What is normal? What is a religion? For example, I was baptized (as a Catholic) but I don't even remember the last time I went to church (no proud here, just a fact). And I do believe religions are the main causes of most of the wars humans fought and are fighting. Actually many scientists (actually people with much higher IQs than yours) are atheist. So what?
Based on your comments, I think the US are not the best fit for you.

Level of IQ has nothing to do with it, in fact the higher it is, the more close minded you become.

Poor scientists - they falsely believe that if something cannot be proven or disproven by science - it can't exist. No suprise then that they are atheists! In fact - most of them believe they are God's.

Then again, what really is absurd about athiests is arguing about something that in their minds does not exist - now that is crazy!

We do have free choice, and you are free to take the oath without the words that you do not agree with.

Closing thread as discussion has become off topic and attacks OP's legitimate question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.