Oath of Allegiance without (so help me God)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcuervo

Registered Users (C)
i'm are unable to use the words “so help me God” in Oath of Allegiance because i'm atheist. what should i do? :confused:

Choice is yours

Don't become a US citizen then! Or take the oath as it is written and become a US citizen.

tell the officer during the interview and be prepared to prove your case. It could delay your case for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you don't bring it up.
If you don't believe there's a god, then who cares if it's part of the oath anyways?!?
Just my 2 cents.

i'm are unable to use the words “so help me God” in Oath of Allegiance because i'm atheist. what should i do? :confused:

It is just formality. Most people do not care. Get citizenship that is only things that matters

Don't become a US citizen then! Or take the oath as it is written and become a US citizen.

You are kidding, right? Do you know an answer to civics question number 10? OK, here is a quote for you:

What is freedom of religion?
▪ You can practice any religion, or not practice a religion.

You are kidding, right? Do you know an answer to civics question number 10? OK, here is a quote for you:

What is freedom of religion?
▪ You can practice any religion, or not practice a religion.

God here only refers to God in Judaism,Chirstianity and Islam.

But some consrvative group advocate that only Christians should be allowed to immigrate to USA

But some consrvative group advocate that only Christians should be allowed to immigrate to USA

They can advocate all they want. First they would need to overturn the First Amendment. Until that happens (NOT!) it's just fundamentalist talk.

On topic!

The following is cited from:
http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-naturalization.html

Q...I was reading a page on the naturalization oath you have to take. I am an atheist and don't want to do the 'so help me God' part. Do I have to say that?
A..(INS Naturalization Guide)..If USCIS (INS) determines you are unable to use the words "so help me God" because of your religious training or beliefs, you may omit those words.
A..When I filed my Naturilzation application, I included a letter that explained that I was agnostic and therefore could not, in good conscience, say "so help me God", and that I was therefore requesting an affirmation instead of an oath. When I went for my interview, the officer addressed this issue and said that it was *not a problem*. He affirmed that I COULD take the oath as long as I omitted the words "so help me God". He told me that when everyone else said those 4 words, that I should simply NOT say them. On the Naturilization oath form that you sign, he lined through those words.

They can advocate all they want. First they would need to overturn the First Amendment. Until that happens (NOT!) it's just fundamentalist talk.

Even with 1st amendment, they can argue you have the right to give up christianity after you become a citizen but you need to be a Christian in
the first place to become a citizen.

I successfully did this (and also omitted other parts of the oath regarding bearing of arms). All you need to do is include a cover letter with that request and repeat it again during the interview. (The bearing arms part usually encounters more resistance than just omitting the religious reference and needs more documentation.) The USCIS is required to honor your request, you do not need to provide any additional proof or documentation for omitting the religious part of the oath.

The downside is that many IOs don't seem to be familiar with the rules and try to push back, so you may need to politely but firmly remind them. It also helps to have a printed copy of the relevant passages of the Adjudicator's Field Manual. You may encounter a delay in approval if the IO is not familiar with this type of request.

Some references:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=d6f4194d3e88d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.kkeane.com/naturalization-oath-and-religion.html

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/templat...tion|chapter 74.2h&s_type=all&hash=0-0-0-1311

There are several modifications that are possible and all require that the applicant meet the three-step test set out in Interpretations 337.2(b)(2), except if the only modification sought is for (1) and/or (2). For an applicant seeking modification of “on oath” or “so help me God,” the applicant can meet either the three-part test or establish that he or she is entitled to the modification based on a finding of other good reasons of conscience:
The applicant may verbally state that he/she wishes to omit the phrase “on oath” and instead use “and solemnly affirm.”
The applicant may verbally state that he/she wishes to omit the phrase “so help me God.”

Even with 1st amendment, they can argue you have the right to give up christianity after you become a citizen but you need to be a Christian in the first place to become a citizen.

I disagree. First Amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Nowhere in the Constitution nor in the Bill of Rights it says about "citizens". Both Constitution and Bill of Rights refer to "persons" or "people". It would be very easy to strike down any law (or administrative procedure for that matter) containing such a language, because an immigrant is a "person" even when she is not a citizen.

I disagree. First Amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Nowhere in the Constitution nor in the Bill of Rights it says about "citizens". Both Constitution and Bill of Rights refer to "persons" or "people". It would be very easy to strike down any law (or administrative procedure for that matter) containing such a language, because an immigrant is a "person" even when she is not a citizen.

Even in USA, there are chartered communist parties. Born citizens can join
perfectly legally. Immigrants can not because that mae one inadmisisble and ineligibel for citizens and even natualizaed citizenz can not join

2nd Amendment say people have the right to bear arms. Now laws forbid
non PR aliens to own weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.