Oath Ceremony - Things to Do After

warlord

Registered Users (C)
Ok got my oath letter finally today (about 4 weeks after my interview) and I'll have the ceremony in a couple of weeks. I'm just curious about what I'll need to do after the ceremony.

I've read that I'll need to go and get my SSN updated to state USC, and that I'll also need to start the passport process etc. Is there anything else that needs to be done? Or is that pretty much it?

Thanks...

Register to vote. There have been several threads dealing with this. I think there are also webpages around that detail things to do after getting citizenship. I think what you mentioned and the vote thing are the really important ones.

By the way, I am not sure if you have to let anyone know that now you can be a juror.

Huracan said:
By the way, I am not sure if you have to let anyone know that now you can be a juror.

You will have to respond to the jury qualification questionnaire, if you get one after you become a citizen. You don't have to volunteer your jury eligibility to anyone.

These questionnaire are sent to state residents and are randomly picked from the motor vehicle records and mailed once every few years(atleast in New York state)

You should notify your employer once you're a USC, because they are supposed to keep your current immigration status on file.

Yeah, but it's still feels good to write the email that says "hey, I don't have green card anymore, I'm a USC".

Good point, though my boss already knows, I think HR does the I-9. I'll mention that too.

Yep with the juror thing, I've already been summoned in my past 10 years here, so the only difference now is that I can't call up and say "sorry, not a USC".

Yeah I knew about the voting part, I just figured that was something that could wait a little if neccessary. I just wanted to get the big things taken care of first...

Another thing to do for some. Update your (previous or current) consulates about your status. For example, Indians needs to contact their consulate to get their passports cancelled. I had to call both the Pakistani and Canadian consulates since I was "registered" with them for consular services. I updated my status in their databases from "GC holder" to "US citizen".

If I move back to India after a citizenship

What do I do if they choose me for a juror?
Can I tell them I am out of the country and refuse? How long can I do this?
Any help is appreciated...
Thanks

samsung_adams said:
What do I do if they choose me for a juror?
Can I tell them I am out of the country and refuse? How long can I do this?
Any help is appreciated...
Thanks
Why would you like to avoid your right and duty to perform as a juror? Wouldn't you like (in case you ever are in trouble with the law) to have a juror like you in court, instead of that juror having claimed to be out of the country ;)
There are enough fields in the juror form to ask for delays, for a number of reasons. It wouldn't be difficult to make up an excuse, but it wouldn't be right.

My 2 cents.

samsung_adams said:
I am going to be out of the country though...
Hi Samsung_adams

Sorry, I read the body of your message but not the title where you mentioned about moving to India. In that case, if you're in India you're not even going to get the mail. On the other hand I don't know what'll happen if they send you the jury summons to an old address and you don't get it and don't reply. I would say if you're residing out of the country then you have a perfectly valid reason not to be a juror.

Has anyone ever given their foreign address to Social Security Admn. or to IRS? Just wondering.

Regards.

Sammy

That's the page I was looking for. I had seen it a few weeks ago, and then forgot how I found it. Thanks...