Oath ceremony letter - What the heck is "final interview" ?????

gfindia

Registered Users (C)
Hello all, I finally got my letter asking me to come to the Oath ceremony on Mar 20th (Columbus, OH)..

Also, in the letter, is says the following:

"Please be aware that you are required to be present for your final interview. After your final interview there will be a short break and you will then be required to return to your assigned seat. The ceremony will begin promptly two hours after the time stated on your appointment notice and will last approximately 60 minutes..."

What in the world is the 'FINAL INTERVIEW"??? I already got a 'Congrats, you passed" in my last interview...

Does this mean that I have to take the test again??? Confused!! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Strange!
My wife and my oath letters don't have that phrase anywhere in them. (DO = San Antonio, TX).

I think every DO has their own version of the N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony, and they probably have some of their own individual procedures over and above the required ones imposed by USCIS. e.g. my oath letter explicitly states that it requires all male applicants to "wear coats and ties"

I don't think thats a requirement for all DOs.

LOL, that's because in San Antonio you usually have warm weather and they don't want you in slippers, shorts, t-shirt and baseball cap.

Wow that is unusual. I have never heard this before. Mine doesn't say that so I am sorry I can't help you out there

I just went over my Oath Letter again and on the Front Page it basically states when, where and so on.
Then it tells me to bring the Oath Letter, The Green Card, Reentry Permit, Any Immigration Documents you may have, the child if the oath is for a child and "other"
Then it sais in bold "proper attire should be worn"
Then it says it I can't make it to the Oath Ceremony to return this notice immediatly and state why you can not appear and so on.

On the Back Page it basically just states that I need to fill this out the day of the Oath an bring it back completed and signed. It basically goes over the Good Moral Character Questions and that is it.

I really find it odd what yours says

Myabe they just wanna confirm some information on the application before they swore you in...
I'd say it is nothing to worry about...
Just bring all documentation you can bring (just in case)..
Also, why not call or request an infopass to clarify this?

Hmm.. I think I will request an infopass.. Does infopass mean that I have to visit them personally?... or will get a 'phone session' with an officer?

BTW, I dont have a copy of the Civics Test booklet or CD :( I passed the Civics Test and interview... and I gave them to my friend who is preparing for an interview and she threw them away after she passed!

Maybe I have to borrow the booklet again and study the questions/answers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. I think I will request an infopass.. Does infopass mean that I have to visit them personally?... or will get a 'phone session' with an officer?

BTW, I dont have a copy of the Civics Test booklet or CD :( I passed the Civics Test and interview... and I gave them to my friend who is preparing for an interview and she threw them away after she passed!

Maybe I have to borrow the booklet again and study the questions/answers

Hi, the infopass means you need to go to the local office.
Good luck to you

You're over-thinking the wording of the letter.

It is perfectly normal that you will be "interviewed" (i.e. questioned) during registration prior to actually taking the oath. Basically the officer confirms the answers you gave to each of the questions on the back of the N-445, and checks on things which might have changed since the main interview. e.g. recent trouble with police, foreign travel, etc. Calling it an interview is pushing things a bit, but that's what it is, even if it only takes 30 seconds.

You're over-thinking the wording of the letter.

It is perfectly normal that you will be "interviewed" (i.e. questioned) during registration prior to actually taking the oath. Basically the officer confirms the answers you gave to each of the questions on the back of the N-445, and checks on things which might have changed since the main interview. e.g. recent trouble with police, foreign travel, etc. Calling it an interview is pushing things a bit, but that's what it is, even if it only takes 30 seconds.

This is correct. I have heard of serveral people who go letters like this that said final interview and it meant the oath ceremony.

After I filed the lawsuit, they called me for "N-400 Update". They could't say "interview" because its against the rule to say "interview" (second interview should be within 120 days after the first interview)

In your case i am guessing that they need to clarify/update some information....Like others mentioned here, if you have address change, job change, any court stuff....get ready to tell them.

good luck.

future

Does that mean if you have any changes after interview, like a court case that is pending, they may postpone your oath?

Does that mean if you have any changes after interview, like a court case that is pending, they may postpone your oath?

Yes. Pending court cases are quite a common reason for oath postponement. For this reason its never recommended to fight even a simple speeding ticket unless you have the court date prior to oath.

Yes. Pending court cases are quite a common reason for oath postponement. For this reason its never recommended to fight even a simple speeding ticket unless you have the court date prior to oath.

Add to this, if you receive a traffic ticket between interview and oath, make sure to get all receipts/proof that is paid and take those with you for oath. Not having such a proof can also delay oath.

That is why I turned into a mole and won't drive myself to my Oath, I am scared to get a speeding ticket, lol.
I take my kids to and from school and go grocery shopping but that is pretty much it as of now.
You just never know with my luck !

That is why I turned into a mole and won't drive myself to my Oath, I am scared to get a speeding ticket, lol.
I take my kids to and from school and go grocery shopping but that is pretty much it as of now.
You just never know with my luck !

It's absolutely ridiculous that a minor traffic ticket can completely screw up the whole process. In NYS, a speeding ticket for going 10 miles over the speed limit is a 2 point offense that, on top of the fine, usually causes your insurance to go up by about $300-$400 a year for the next 3 years. One would have to be insane to plead guilty to something like that.

Oath Ceremony letter!

All,

I have a question for those who got their oath ceremony letter recently from Kansas City office. My oath letter is an ordinary print out not the usual USCIS thick green colored letter. At the top of the letter it clearly says "Applicant Copy". Do they only send us our copy? or how did you guys receive it?

My processing dates:
My priority date : 07/24/07
My interview date: 02/25/08
My Oath Ceremony: 06/09/08

I had no "Final Interview" wording on my notice (Dallas Nov, 2006). However, when I signed handed in the form with the questions on the back, they looked at the questions and asked some innocuous question along the lines of "is this all correct". That was it.