NZ PhD Student Visa, 5 Month Processing time

Hi All,
I am going to apply for my student visa tomorrow for phd in computer science in the top university in NewZeland. I was not aware that phd visa applications go to wellington for processing. This is very distressing news.
Do keep us posted about what happens. I guess I'm applying with Christmas time close by so I may need to wait further. If you know anything about that please reply me as soon as possible.

@marcdevid, where r u from?? Go through the entire discussion forum thread carefully, you can get lots of informations, most of them researched by me. Also, i am grateful that a lot other folks have contributed to this forum in a great way. It doesn't means that applying during Christmas, would delay your application. It all depends on the queue. And yes, for sure, as soon as my visa comes, i would celebrate the success with you guys in this forum. :)) All i can say to you, is best of luck. Also, don't forget to share information that you might be aware of, any previous applicant you know who applied for a PhD visa and got it, etc...

Guys, for your informations. I have just received an email from my PhD advisor that all 3 of his students (including me), have been waiting for visa for so long (>6 months). So its not only us, who are waiting... there r other guys too. BTW, my advisor is a great guy. He rocks. :))

@Brian.

You are right that we are not the ones in trouble. How much quickly someone get visa officer allocated to the application is by luck. Someone gets it in a month and some one in 2-3 months. However once visa officer allocated then visa application processing starts actually :).

I am hoping for good outcome in coming days. You all guys should also hope for positive output. Share your ideas/experiences on this forum.

Hi Guys,

Im new to this forum. I am a PhD applicant to NZ myself and it gives me relief to realize from your earlier posts that this 5 month+ prolonged wait for a simple student visa is a common problem which can be attributed to plain bureaucracy within the IPG.

I am going to do my PhD in Biochemical Engineering in a top NZ uni. I had submitted my visa application to NZIS New Delhi on September 16th. On October 21st I got an email from the IPG indicating that I am in a managed queue awaiting allocation to an immigration officer. Till date I have not been told whether my file has been allocated to an immigration officer or not. The call centre was unable to comment any further on my application as well. Do any of you know of any other way to contact the IPG to get more information?

@brainxplode I read in your post that you were required to supply an updated evidence of funds - Did you have to submit financial docs for the last 3 months? I noticed that another member of the forum -@forevermark was not asked to submit updated evidence of funds. I wonder why this discrepancy in the visa officers' requirements occurs? Do you know anything more about why this is? I'd like to know.

Fortunately my supervisor is being amazing and is prepared to wait for me as long as the visa takes. But still, the wait is annoying because the excitement of the research has to be sustained...

Goodluck to you all in your wait for your visas, and hope everyone gets to their uni's in good time :)

@brainxplode

@Brian.

You are right that we are not the ones in trouble. How much quickly someone get visa officer allocated to the application is by luck. Someone gets it in a month and some one in 2-3 months. However once visa officer allocated then visa application processing starts actually :).

I am hoping for good outcome in coming days. You all guys should also hope for positive output. Share your ideas/experiences on this forum.

Just check it, noting like first come first serve, this all is game of luck , May GOD bless u all.

@Geet

Just post your queries to NZ immigration site's online call center, they will respond in 48-72 hrs.

I applied on 7th august, 2009, got e-mail from IPG on 9th September...............then long wait.............. and yesterday i received first email from my VISA OFFICER (after around 4 months of initial submission). Just easy man, relax.

Regarding requred documents , they ask for various sort of documents, and it depends on visa officer and individual application , so don't worry about all, I advice u to keep ur bank balance as such until u receive ur visa. It would be of help.

Hope it will be of help , GOD bless u

@geekinthepink, why don't you send an email to the Immigration NZ through their online help facility. The link can be found here. This is their most preferred way of communication. Can you please share in here the draft of the email, that the IPG last sent to you??

https://immigration.custhelp.com/cg...mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_next_page=myovr.php&p_li=

You need to register yourself first for an online account and then click on the "Contact Us" link after logging into your account and send them your query. Ask them regarding the status of your application. They reply to all email queries within 72 hours. They have replied me whenever i contacted them. I think the visa officer must have been allotted to your application. Just check out that.

Regarding funds, since i am just a fresh kid graduated from college and have been working for only 7-8 months, i gave them financial docs of my dad, like Income Tax returns for the last 2 years, Fixed Deposit Receipts (at least 6 months old) and a signed letter from my dad that he is sponsoring me. I ain't have that much headache in funds, since i have received a Department fellowship which covers everything. And regarding discrepancies, every visa officer has his/her own discretion of assessing a student visa file. So that's not such a big deal.

Regarding supervisor, i think all our advisors are cool and mine is ultra-cool. He has been waiting for three of his students (one from China, the other i don't know) including me, since >6 months. I wish i could have changed the forum thread heading to >6-month processing time instead of 5 Month Processing Time. :)) BTW, why don't u send me an email to nitjsr_2004@yahoo.com and we can discuss this i detail??? What u say??? :))

Whatever, let us all, keep our fingers crossed and pray to God that we get to join our grad program ASAP. :))

Hi guys,

I received an email from IPG wellington day before yesterday saying my visa's been received at their office. They asked me to submit many documents most of which I already have. They also asked for birth certificate. I dont have a birth certificate (born earlier than 1989). What do you suggest? Will they accept if my birth is registered now? Another month or more for registering birth!

IPG says my application is in the queue now and may take 1-2 months for visa officer allotment. This will ofcourse be excluding their christmas vacations. Do you know how long their vacation is?

@vagonpoetry... Ignore the email from IPG if u have submitted most of the docs. In case not, then send them the remaining docs. Regarding visa allocation, why don't u go through the previous forum posts, that would give u a pretty good idea of how long it takes for visa officer allottment, but it usually happens within 4 weeks. Mine happened exactly after 4 weeks i.e. 1 month. Albeit they didn't notify this to me, but i send them an email enquiring on my application status and they informed this to me. But the visa officer finally contacted me exactly 1 month after my application was allotted to her, acknowledging on my app. That's the story.

Regarding christmas vac, christmas is on friday dec 25, 2009 and then there is the boxing day either on saturday, dec 26, 2009 or monday. dec 28, 2009. I think monday one is a restricted leave, but still would take that into account in calculating holidays. I hope this helps.

gaganmaan

i had appliied for partner visa 0n march.and my interview is in june.and till now i dont get any responsde.can anyone tell hw much time it will take to process my application

Hi , Today I got mail from my visa officer. I hope very shortly I'll get my visa. I submitted my visa application for PhD on September 10, 2009. at New Delhi Branch.

Dear XYZ,

Thank you for your email.

I have received your verification and all is clear. I hope to complete the final assessment on your application by the end of next week.

Yours sincerely
Visa Officer

I submitted my application on september 10, 2009.
September 23, 2009: I got that my application has reached IPG and its in queue.
October 15, 2009: Visa officer was allocated to my applicatiom. On November 3, 2009 She sent me few her documents (attachment) to submit educational history, family details, updated CV and DOB. On the same day I submiteed by mail.
November 9, 2009: she told me that she has sent your documents for verification and as soon as I get return reply she 'll contact me.
December 4, 2009. I got mail from my officer that verification has completed and she 'll complete final assessment by end of next week.

Best wishes to everyone.
I hope very shortly U'll also get your visa .

@forevermarks

HI

Nice to hear that, Congrats, I am sure that u will get good news by the end of next week.

God bless u

@ Gagan Mann

SSA BAII JEE

Do u let me know wat is the content and duration of course(PhD/Masters) ur spouse pursuing, cuz the visa application process depends on type of course!

Cheers

@forevermark.. first congratulations on your visa success. Your visa officer certainly is diligent and secondly your processing was done in record timespan.

Second, did you have visa stampings from other countries as well??? Do the immigration guys check those stamps??? Cuz that might take more time for verification. Once again, congrats!!! :)

@brian...
I don't have visa stamps of other countries.. I think they don't check or verification of previous stamps or trip.. they confirm only about offer letter , and selection criteria from university ( UR Guide). and work experience if visa officer want to confirm. Everything depend on visa officer thinking he/she want verify of which doc. But I am sure 99% they don't verify previous stamps

@forevermark, dude... i have confirmed from my undergraduate school, my previous employers, the University abroad, where i went for my internship etc. The embassy, did not contact anywhere. I know that they won't check visa stamps, since they are already stamped on your passport, but what bothers me is that how come you apply on September 10 and you get your visa so quickly within 3 months and me submitting my visa application on May 25, and still verification process on.?? Why so much time gap between our processing??? Dude, can you send me an email to nitjsr_2004@yahoo.com so that i can discuss with you in detail regarding my situation and for a healthy networking.

Have all of you submitted your birth certificates? I was born before 1987 when it was not mandatory to have a birth certificate and so I dont have any. I don't even think that the hospital where I was born exists anymore. Please advice, I need to submit the documents soon for fast processing.

@forevermark Congrats :) Great to know atleast one of us has been successful in getting through verification so quickly.

@vagonpoetry I have submitted my birth certificate, i too didn't have one.. Got it done from the Municipal Corporation. It took a day. I think, they have computerized records of every birth. I too was born just before 1987 :)) In case, this doesn't work out, get an affidavit notarized by a First Class Magistrate. Ask a notary public for the content of the affidavit. He would tell you that. I think that also won't take more than a day to wrap up. The only thing that you have to do is to appear personally before a First Class Magistrate with certain required original documentations. A lot of people make affidavits in this way. I hope this helps. Good luck!