NY Times covers GC backlogs in front page article

At 4:30 am today

This is what I sent:

It was very heartening to see that someone cares about suffering of very highly talented lot of people who want to stay in US and serve with best of their ability and faith and are committed to make a prosperous life for themselves and their families.

Most of these people are highly respected by their employers and pay very high taxes every year. It is high time that government start looking at their immigration needs and accept or reject their LONG pending applications so that they get along with their normal lives in US or some other country. It is very very stressful wait and only that person knows who is going through it.

And in lots of cases also suffer with them is their children who are born in US and are US citizens. I hope the initiative taken by your paper would help.

My Letter to the NY Times Editor

As a green-card applicant, waiting for over 26 months to get the green card, I am appalled by Mr. Yates' non-chalant attitude toward the delay. This is a good example of the kind of service we are receiving from USCIS after paying $255 as processing fees. Timely processing of green-card applications filed by honest, hard-working, tax-paying, legal immigrants is of no less importance compared to the security of this great nation. USCIS should have hired additional work force to perform the necessary security check and made sure that nothing else suffered. Mr. Yates, if you were in charge of an airport, would you move many of the pilots into security check and reduce the number of airplanes flying out of the airport? Please remember that justice delayed is justice denied.

Make Bill Yates Apologize !!

Project Ocean Campaign #12

Target Number of Letters = 100

1. kashmir
  2. ruxrux (also CSC forum)
  3. sukla
  4. dsatish
  5. kailashr
  6. (GreenCardMA)
  7. wac022XXX (CSC forum)
  8. kingAnil007 (CSC forum)
  9. scotty
  10. GC_YEAHRIGHT!
  11. Edison
  12. compuser1973
  13. Quietist
  14. Pineapple
  15. kxw
  16. AATA_NAHIN
  17. extra_dry_gin
  18. HateINS2
  19. desi-bartender ?
  20. ImmigrateMe
  21. samroze
  22. cinta
  23. brokenarrow (CSC forum)
  24. hussein (CSC forum)
  25. cpquestioner (CSC forum)
  26. lareds (CSC forum)
  27. 485Victim (CSC forum)
  28. longwait_2001 (CSC forum)
  29. lowell
  30. (ar888)
  31. GC022002
  32. lexvsc2002
  33. ag28
  34. ben2000 (CSC forum)
  35. Shapath (CSC forum)
  36. inagony0302 (CSC forum)
  37. gjk (CSC forum)
  38. sreddy88
  39. KKJ
  40. PremChopra
  41. believe_in_self
  42. ErDr (also CSC forum)
  43. theWarrior (CSC forum)
  44. wsxwsx (CSC forum)

Not only post your comment here, but also send your letter to New York Times within 150 words !!
Once you send a letter, please declare clearly here to encourage others.
You can find my sample letter here.
Also, if you write a good letter, please post your letter.

CSC forum thread
NSC forum thread (NSC forum thread)
TSC forum thread

Last edited by a moderator:
5 more people and it will reach the 50 mark. That would be good.
Please keep it going. It's simple.

Kashmir,
This was a good campaign. You brought excitement in VSC forum. This is the first time we have done any campaign like this. I advise that, from now onwards, please start ONE campaign every week. We can call each of them as "campaign of the week". VSC and CSC forums can work together on these campaigns.

e-mail sent

Sent the following:

Dear Sir,

I read Nina Bernstein's article "Wait for US Residency Soars Over 18 Months Span" in your paper of 06 April 2004, and laud her for this important effort. I am awaiting adjudication of my I-485 from California Service Center (CSC) for the past 26 months.

It is, however, appalling to learn Mr. Yates' arrogant and false comment, and feeble excuse: "We don't apologize ... identified ... threat to the United States". In fact, USCIS has not identified any terrorist. Besides, creating a backlog to identify a terrorist is senseless -- by the time Mr. Yates would get to the culprit's file,
it could be too late.

I urge Mr. Yates and Mr. Don Neufeld (of CSC) to improve their efficiency instead of hiding under "national security" or other excuses.

Regards,

Posted the following message to NYTimes.

Note , I picked most of the wordings from few previous posts and merged and slightly modified/added additional the content.

get_a_life

I read with interest the article in your paper this morning titled “Wait for U.S. Residency Soars Over 18 Month Span” By Nina Bernstein. The article is a well written overview of problems encountered by intending immigrants, however, the quote by Mr. Yeats is misleading and I feel should have been countered. Most intending immigrants support the fact that security checks have to be performed, however this does not excuse the inflexible and unsympathetic attitude of the USCIS. In fact, it would be of national interest that these security checks should be completed immediately rather than the 18 plus months that is now being taken to complete them. In addition it should have been clarified how many people were caught and whether it was for terrorism. Mr. Yeats needs to make clear why the USCIS is failing to reduce processing times. A blanket statement regarding terrorism that capitalizes on emotions is unjustified, unprofessional and blatantly offensive. He should explain it in depth and be held accountable for its accuracy. He should allocate more USCIS resources(and necessary software systems) to handle all critical aspects of I-485 processing(including security checks, adjudication) in a reasonable and well defined time frame.

Regards

Email sent to NY Times...

Dear Editor,

I appreciate your effort to throw some light on the struggle of legal immigrant community. I myself a computer professional, working in US for last 7 years and waiting for 'Adjustment of status/485' application for more than 26 months! We are the professional community, wanting to live an American Dream, and fueling American economy and communities with our services. In fact I am rendering my professional expertise to protect American people from a chemical disaster. So I am very disappointed to read Mr. Yates comment, "We don't apologize..." and offended by his attitude towards law abiding, tax paying, and legal immigrants like me. I believe he should apologize for making such irresponsible comment. CIS has charged us fee to process this case and must allocate required resources to expedite the processing.

Thanks and God Bless America!

1. kashmir
  3. sukla
  4. dsatish
  5. kailashr
  6. (GreenCardMA)
  7. wac022XXX (CSC forum)
  9. scotty
  10. GC_YEAHRIGHT!
  11. Edison
  12. compuser1973
  13. Quietist
  14. Pineapple
  15. kxw
  16. AATA_NAHIN
  17. extra_dry_gin
  18. HateINS2
  19. desi-bartender ?
  20. ImmigrateMe
  21. samroze
  22. cinta
  24. hussein (CSC forum)
  26. lareds (CSC forum)
  29. lowell
  30. (ar888)
  31. GC022002
  32. lexvsc2002
  33. ag28
  34. ben2000 (CSC forum)
  35. Shapath (CSC forum)
  37. gjk (CSC forum)
  38. sreddy88
  39. KKJ
  40. PremChopra
  41. believe_in_self
  44. wsxwsx (CSC forum)
  45. phaedrus_1
  46. gopalag
  47. whatDidIDo?
  48. get_a_life
  49. rs071 (also CSC forum)
  50. yuk1200 (CSC forum)
  51. lawaiter02 (CSC forum)
  52. weary (CSC forum)
  53. sw28 (CSC forum)
  54. HowLongWaiting (CSC forum)
  55. wac205 (CSC forum)

Not only post your comment here, but also send your letter to New York Times within 150 words !!

CSC forum thread
TSC forum thread

great article, we need more like that to raise awareness

i too have sent my email in, after reading the new york times article. i am very delighted to read an article like that, because i certainly hope that it raises awareness of the ridiculous delays and backlog that USCIS is subjecting all of us to.

Re: great article, we need more like that to raise awareness

Originally posted by moonberry
i too have sent my email in, after reading the new york times article. i am very delighted to read an article like that, because i certainly hope that it raises awareness of the ridiculous delays and backlog that USCIS is subjecting all of us to.

You are absolutely right. An article like this appearing in New York Times, puts USCIS ina very bad light . It show cases our problems very well. I was surprised when i heard from my cousin (he is a citizen here) that he read the story in NY times. The message has surely gone to thousands of people now. We will try to contact reporters from influential news papers and ask them to publish more about the stupid ways of functioning of VSC.

1. kashmir
  3. sukla
  4. dsatish
  5. kailashr
  6. (GreenCardMA)
  7. wac022XXX (CSC forum)
  9. scotty
  10. GC_YEAHRIGHT!
  11. Edison
  12. compuser1973
  13. Quietist
  14. Pineapple
  15. kxw
  16. AATA_NAHIN
  17. extra_dry_gin
  18. HateINS2
  19. desi-bartender ?
  20. ImmigrateMe
  21. samroze
  22. cinta
  24. hussein (CSC forum)
  26. lareds (CSC forum)
  29. lowell
  30. ar888
  31. GC022002
  32. lexvsc2002
  33. ag28
  34. ben2000 (CSC forum)
  35. Shapath (CSC forum)
  37. gjk (CSC forum)
  38. sreddy88
  39. KKJ
  40. PremChopra
  41. believe_in_self
  44. wsxwsx (CSC forum)
  45. phaedrus_1
  46. gopalag
  47. whatDidIDo?
  48. get_a_life
  50. yuk1200 (CSC forum)
  52. weary (CSC forum)
  53. sw28 (CSC forum)
  55. wac205 (CSC forum)
  56. moonberry
  57. wac098
  58. gazpacho

CSC forum thread
TSC forum thread

Letter sent this morning....hope it was'nt late

===========================================
I read the article, Wait for U.S. Residency Soars Over 18 Month Span by Nina Bernstein, published April 6, 2004, with great interest.

As a green-card applicant, waiting for over 22 months, I am appalled by Mr. Yates attitude toward the delay. The implicit assumption in the 'Security procedures causing delays' excuse is that a potential terrorist is going to wait for his/her green card before committing a foul act!

Such line of thinking adapted by the agency and Bill Yates' words "We don't apologize." only serves to hide the incompetence and expose the arrogance that exists in these agencies for decades. An agency whose claim to fame is it’s own inefficiency!

Thanks

sgi

===========================================

1. kashmir
  3. sukla
  4. dsatish
  5. kailashr
  6. (GreenCardMA)
  7. wac022XXX (CSC forum)
  9. scotty
  10. GC_YEAHRIGHT!
  11. Edison
  12. compuser1973
  13. Quietist
  14. Pineapple
  15. kxw
  16. AATA_NAHIN
  17. extra_dry_gin
  18. HateINS2
  19. desi-bartender ?
  20. ImmigrateMe
  21. samroze
  22. cinta
  24. hussein (CSC forum)
  26. lareds (CSC forum)
  29. lowell
  30. ar888
  31. GC022002
  32. lexvsc2002
  33. ag28
  34. ben2000 (CSC forum)
  35. Shapath (CSC forum)
  37. gjk (CSC forum)
  38. sreddy88
  39. KKJ
  40. PremChopra
  41. believe_in_self
  44. wsxwsx (CSC forum)
  45. phaedrus_1
  46. gopalag
  47. whatDidIDo?
  48. get_a_life
  50. yuk1200 (CSC forum)
  52. weary (CSC forum)
  53. sw28 (CSC forum)
  55. wac205 (CSC forum)
  56. moonberry
  57. wac098
  58. gazpacho
  59. devdas
  60. sgi

CSC forum thread
TSC forum thread