• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

numerous concerns for dv2006..help

otid48

Registered Users (C)
Hello fellow forum members ,

I'm a new user :) andI will be glad if you answered the ff questions for me please.

Q1. My Wife’s (the principal applicant) number is quite high 2006AF000428X out of44,101 ‘winners’ from my continent. Her number pre-supposes that chances are that she may be called for an interview very late. If this happens, and she, me,( the husband) and our little daughter enter the US, however late, and thus cannot adjust status before Sept. 30th ,2006 what does that mean?

a) Do we remain legal non-immigrants indefinitely or for a specific period of time before applying again.

As such, do the principal applicant and his/her derivatives ALL have to get BOTH (visa and adjusted status) within this period ONLY?

I'm just a bit worried because I read somewhere that if you do not adjust status(through no fault of yours) by 30th Sept. 2006, you are expected to return to your country of origin after your temporary work permit expires.

regards
otid48

There is a little confusion. Based on what you said( ..enter US , but late...), my understanding is you live outside US. If this is the case you do CP not AOS.So once you did your interview at the US embassy you will get the CG stamp.

thank you for the replies but typically, how long does it take in the US to apply to the USCIS and adjust your status to permanent resident? Anyone with some figures?

One clarification is needed fromKamrooz though.

"After my interview at the US embassy in my country, is the CP another process to follow here in Ghana and get the CG (What is it?) stamp?" Does this stamp mean i'm covered. I mean, that i already have the green card or that i am a permanent resident though i haven't even flown to the US yet?

Are you also suggesting that once finished in my country, in The US, i have nothing else to pursue, except maybe applying for a social security number?

Thanks
otid

At the interview you get an IMMIGRANT VISA, not a green card.

When you enter the US with your immigrant visa, you become a US resident immediately. Your passport will get an annotation about it, and you will get the plastic green card in a couple of weeks/months. The annotation is your GC until the plastic arrives.