Number of Employers on my Employment Letter for TN Visa

TNapplicant

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am currently working under a TN visa as a dentist, but will soon need a new visa because I am switching jobs. The new job will put me in an interesting situation, and I'd greatly appreciate if someone can offer some advice.

Here is the situation: I will be working for two dental offices (let's call them offices A & B), splitting my time equally in each. The owner of office A wants to hire me as a full-time employee. So, instead of being paid separately by each office, the owner of office B will pay office A for my time working in office B, and office A will then transfer this amount to me. Office A will of course pay me for working in his office (A) too. This means I will be working in two different offices, but receive compensation directly from only one employer (A).

My question is: On the employment letter of the TN visa, should I describe my job as working for one employer (A) with two locations? Or should I describe it as working for two employers, each with a different location?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

A confused TN Applicant

Basically, Office A is acting as your agent. You need ONE TN, where the arrangement is spelled out. TNs are not 'location-driven' like H1-B for example, but employer/client- driven.

If Both A and B were paying you independetly, you would simply get 2 TN's. This is done all the time.

It all depends on whether you are acting as your own agent, or whether, like you, your employer is.

Thanks Nelsona! When you mentioned spelling out the arrangement, do you mean I should state on the letter that I am working for both owner A and owner B but B will pay A to pay me?

Should I just not mention owner B at all and just say I am working for owner A, since I will only receive pay from A?

The letter would state that you are being employed and remunerated by Firm A to do work and Firm A and Firm B.

You could omit Firm B altogether, but this hides the neature of your work: being farmed out.

Instead of "to do work at Firm and and Firm B", you could have them state" to do work for our office and others, under our direction". Then they could farm you to as many places as they wish without having to update your TN.

This is how agencies sponsor their TN workers.

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone. I have read something elsewhere before and thought I have to specify all work locations on the employment letter. I now know this is not true. I can work anywhere I want as long as I stay with the same employer, and I don't have to specify all work locations on the letter.

My finance (US citizen) and I are planning to cross the border together when I apply for the TN. Will this affect my success? I may be worrying too much, but I am just thinking the custom may question my intention to return to Canada afterwards.

Thanks.

Do not bring your fiancee with you. This is a business transaction.

And don't mention fiancee, as they could say you need a fiance visa and deny you entry altogether.

Once you get TN and eventually marry, you will have precise steps to follw to stay in US and work legally as you migrate off of TN.