NSC / St. Paul ( MN) timeline

MN timeline for naturalization and passport application

For those who're following Minnesota processing times:

N400 Priority Date: June 20, 2005

FP: August 13, 2005

Interview: November 29, 2005
Was a breeze. In and out in about 40 minutes. I was asked 3 or 4 questions - who are the senators from MN? who is the governor? who is the President of the US? - all from the 100-question list. Very polite. I was asked if I had new photos with me as I had submitted photos as per the old guidelines (three-quarter face with one ear showing). I gave him the new photos (I'd received a letter earlier asking me to bring them). That was it. (My wife's experience was similar.)

The oath ceremony invite took a little longer as we could not be accomodated in the December ceremony. Since we were planning a trip abroad in early March 2006 we were concerned about completing everything on time (including applying for and getting our US passports), we wrote the USCIS local office (where we had been interviewed) in January 2006 asking for information about the oath ceremony. We received a letter promptly giving us the date.

N445 - Formal Notice of Naturalization oath Ceremony (dated January 17, 2006).

Naturalization Oath Ceremony: February 15, 2006 (Minneapolis)
We were asked to report at 8:30 am. When reached at 8:00 am there were about 500+ people ahead of us in the line. I thought some of the officials managing the line could have been more polite. Some of the attendees had issues and questions and had trouble expressing themselves clearly in English. I overheard an official asking, "How did you pass your interview?" Beyond that point - from the time we actually checked in - everyone was very warm and welcoming. My wife and I were assigned separate seats initially. It was very easy to get that changed so that we could sit together. The ceremony began at 11:00 am when everyone was checked in and seated. (We had to surrender our green cards.) It was over by 11:45. We walked out with the other 1240 brand new citizens (from 200 countries), naturalization certificates in hand. We were unable to stick around to shake hands with the judge as we had to rush out to turn our passport applications in (remember the trip abroad?).

Applied for expedited passport on Feb 15, 2006. First time passports have to be applied for in person.

Received US passport (from Seattle passport agency) on February 26, 2006 (in 11 days!!)

Fast and painless processing experiences to all of you.

Interview letter

I forgot to mention that when you receive the letter asking you to appear for the interview, make a copy of that letter for your own files. When you go to your interview they will take the original letter. After our interviews, we needed an address or phone number to call and ask which oath ceremony we were going to be called to but had to hunt on the Internet for the address of the place where we'd gone for our interviews, as we had not made copies of the original interview letter.

Remember to take your green card and oath ceremony invitation letter when you go to the oath ceremony.

At the oath ceremony

At the oath ceremony, food and water and beverages were available at a food stall at premium prices. We were not allowed to leave the building after checking in in Minneapolis. You may want to carry some water and/or food with you.

The other thing is that we had no instructions on bringing guests. However, at the actual ceremony we did see a lot of guests. If you plan to invite friends and relatives to the ceremony it might be a good idea to ask them to come later closer to the actual ceremony. In our case guests could have easily arrived around 10 am to forego the long wait for check-in. They are seated in a separate area.

one2one said:
I had my interview in Oct as well in St Paul DO. Still waiting for the oath letter. Have you received yours yet?

Yes I did - had my oath in december. Please check this link for all oath dates
http://www.mnd.uscourts.gov/ ...follow link to general information and then naturalization ceremonies 2006.

If you got a 'Congratulations you've been approved checked' after your interview , try to write to them and see when they schedule your oath ...

all the best!

Update - N400 timeline for Saint Paul (DO)/NSC

1. Application Mailed(USPS Express): 01-FEB-2006
2. Application Received : 02-FEB-2006
3. Check Cashed : 02-FEB-2006
4. Priority Date : 02-Feb-2006
5. NOA Date : 15-Feb-2006
6. NOA Mailed : 16-Feb-2006
7. NOA Received : 21-Feb-2006
8. FP Notice Date : 02-Mar-2006
9. FP Notice Mailed : 03-Mar-2006
10. FP Notice Received : 06-Mar-2006
11. FP Scheduled : 17-Mar-2006

Will be back after I am finger printed. Anybody applied for naturalization from SD/ND/MN in FEB-2006?

Timeline Update

Here is my timeline.

Application sent - 12/28/05
PD - 12/29/05
NOA - 1/14/06
FP Notice - 2/3/06
FP Date - 2/25/06
Interview Notice - 03/10/06
Interview Date - 05/11/06

Update - N400 timeline for Saint Paul (DO)/NSC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Application Mailed(USPS Express): 01-Mar-2006
2. Application Received : 02-Mar-2006
3. Check Cashed : 06-Mar-2006
4. Priority Date : 02-Mar-2006
5. NOA Date : 08-Mar-2006
6. NOA Mailed : 09-Mar-2006
7. NOA Received : 11-Mar-2006
8. FP Notice Date :
9. FP Notice Mailed :
10. FP Notice Received :
11. FP Scheduled :

Oath Ceremony Timeline, MN

one2one said:
I had my interview in Oct as well in St Paul DO. Still waiting for the oath letter. Have you received yours yet?

Had my interview in Dec and waiting for word from USCIS :mad:
Called the National Support Center twice and am thinking of setting up Info Pass Appointment.

Waiting for end of this week to hopefully get some kind of information

At the end of the interview did the officer give you a signed form about the results?

H2IZZO said:
Had my interview in Dec and waiting for word from USCIS :mad:
Called the National Support Center twice and am thinking of setting up Info Pass Appointment.

Waiting for end of this week to hopefully get some kind of information

brb2 said:
At the end of the interview did the officer give you a signed form about the results?

Yep..Got something to the effect that is appears I meet the requirements and was actually told that the Oath should be scheduled in Feb 06'. This is March and still waiting :-(

There was no ceremony in February. You will most likely get the April 19th Ceremony invitation.

http://www.mnd.uscourts.gov/2006_naturalization.htm

Keep us posted on your developments and also your experience at the ceremony itself.

H2IZZO said:
Yep..Got something to the effect that is appears I meet the requirements and was actually told that the Oath should be scheduled in Feb 06'. This is March and still waiting :-(

Actually there was a ceremony on February 15th, there is one every month, when you don't see anything under MInneapolis, or st paul, that means that nothng is scheduled in the federal court houses but there might be something scheduled somewhere else (the convention center, bethel college, the mall of america)
These other locations can accomodate more people, especially the convention center, it can accomodate more than a thousand at a time.

Best of luck

MN/St. Paul Issues

I know there is one tomorrow, which I know I will not make and one next week.
March 22nd. Hopefully I'll hear something this week.

Anyone else knows if there are delays in MN/St. Paul or is it nationwide?

H2IZZO said:
I know there is one tomorrow, which I know I will not make and one next week.
March 22nd. Hopefully I'll hear something this week.

Anyone else knows if there are delays in MN/St. Paul or is it nationwide?

Looking thru the various posts, it looks like other states like VA, FL, TX are approving N400 interviews and receiving oaths faster than MN. I am really thinking of making an Info pass request to figure out what the heck is going on?

You could be stuck for name check. An info pass appointment will bring it out. Do you have a common muslim/arab or Chinese name?

H2IZZO said:
Looking thru the various posts, it looks like other states like VA, FL, TX are approving N400 interviews and receiving oaths faster than MN. I am really thinking of making an Info pass request to figure out what the heck is going on?

brb2 said:
You could be stuck for name check. An info pass appointment will bring it out. Do you have a common muslim/arab or Chinese name?

1) Does USCIS have to legally provide you with a response to an
interview/inquiry after 90 days or 120 days?

2) While I used a Lawyer to help my prepare my file, mine should be fast paced because it is due to military service (INA 329)? I am thinking of involving JAG/Veteran's office. Any suggestions?

1. You can sue USCIS 120 days after interview if they have not yet made a decision. The current specter bill will remove this clause. Sen. Feingold was unsuccessful in removing this clause from the bill during committee meetings.

2. Veteran's office will have very little effect on naturalization name check clearance by FBI. I suggest you go to the sticky threads and read about a veteran whose officers could not do anything and he finally got his clearance after suing USCIS. From what has been reported on this board, complaining to senators or congresmen had not effect on FBI either.

H2IZZO said:
1) Does USCIS have to legally provide you with a response to an
interview/inquiry after 90 days or 120 days?

2) While I used a Lawyer to help my prepare my file, mine should be fast paced because it is due to military service (INA 329)? I am thinking of involving JAG/Veteran's office. Any suggestions?