NSC/Columbus(Ohio) N400 Timeline

Thanks for the well wishes! :D I'll post my experience once I get back from the interview.

My only prior experience with Cols was back when it was the INS and I had my green card interview right after the office opened back in 99/00. Quick and painless. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my interview today. "A decision cannot be made at this time" due to pending background check. I asked if it was the name check and she said; "Don't worry - your name check completed already."

Interview time was 10am, I arrived at 9:30 and handed my interview letter to security. Was called in at 9:40. Was back out on the street before my shceduled interview time... :)

I was sworn in and asked for my full name. I have two middle names and don't generally use both of my middle names because govt forms don't generally have space for them. She asked to see my UK Birth Certificate and I handed that to her, and she amended the form. No problems there.

She went through every question on the form, asking me the same question again and marking the answers with checkmarks when I confirmed them.

When she asked me about arrests/detentions etc I said I had three traffic tickets over the last 16 years and she was unfazed. I had already sent in the certified copy of the fist ticket's court record with the application (and the other two were in the file I brought with me) and she looked at that for a moment and then made a remark to the effect of traffic tickets being a non-issue.

She asked if I'd ever broken the law and not been caught. I said that I have not been caught for speeding a few times... that made her laugh, but her followup question of 'Have you ever comitted a CRIME and not been caught?" got a swift No answer which made her happy.

The only papers she took from me for checking (all were returned) were:
- Passport
- Green Card
- Birth Certificate (because of the name difference)

I had my taxes, ticket records, proof of relationship etc but she never asked for them.

I was asked the following civis questions:
- What is the term of a senator? 6years, correct
- What do the stripes on the flag represent? 13 original colonies, correct
- Whis was Martin Luther King? Civil rights leader, correct
- What is the most important right granted by the constitution? Free Speech, WRONG. Correct answer: Right to Vote
- What is the term of a President? 4years, correct
- What year was the consitution written? 1787, correct
- Who advises the President? The Cabinet, correct

She highlighted the 10th question and asked me to read it out loud; "Why are there 100 senators?" then asked me to write "I came to Columbus for my interview." on a the civics test sheet. She said I passed the English/Civics tests.

She asked if I was willing to say the full oath. I asked for 'So Help ME God' to be removed and she said that the law doe snto allow her to remove those words, and that most people believe in some kind of god so I shouldn't have a problem. This was the only part of the interview where it got tense. I decided not to rock the boat and said I'd say the full oath.

Then she said that a decision couldn't be made because of a pending background check. I asked if she meant the name Check and she said no... my name chaeck was completed. I asked if she meant the FBI Fingerprints and she said no. So thee's apparently some mystical 3rd background check that is pending. She said I'd get a written decision in the mail.

That was that. Overall the interview was quick and friendly. I know that fed law DOES allow me to omit "So Help Me God" but it's not worth it for me to fight it. I'm a little concerned about what this 3rd background check is that is NOT name check or fingerprints. I suspect she wants to redo the background check based upon my full name. Either way it will be clear so I'm not worried.

Next step, await decision.

Scruit - Lets hope that they complete the background check soon. I am scheduled for next month, I filed thru an attorney, Should I take him to the interview too?

My case was simple, nothing that had to be explained or justified. I didn't use a lawyer and for me a lawyer would have been a waste of money.

If you case has some unusual elements, such as long absences from the country or a minor criminal history, then a lawyer would be very valuable.

Got my Oath letter today (4/19) for 5/9 oath... :D

Mailed N400: 12/12/2005
Priority Date: 12/15
Check cashed: 12/16
Receipt Dated 12/27, received 12/31
Got FP Notice: 1/9/2006
FP Date: 1/20
Got Interview Notice: 2/4
Interview Date: 4/14 (Decision cannot be made pending background check - not name check)
Oath Date: 5/9

Looking like the whole process will have taken just a little under 6 months.

Congratulations. I was hoping they would finish background checks and
approve your case. (I was particularly interested as our interviews were
only 1 day apart)
Enjoy ! and write back about your oath ceremony.

Scruit said:
Got my Oath letter today (4/19) for 5/9 oath... :D

Interview Date: 4/14 (Decision cannot be made pending background check - not name check)
Oath Date: 5/9

Looking like the whole process will have taken just a little under 6 months.

Scruit,

Looks like you'll be a United States citizen before you know it! :D

Glad you got the oath letter in such a short time, especially considering that CIS was still waiting for the background check to be completed at the time of your interview.

All the best, and I hope you have a wonderful oath ceremony!

just starting and questions...

Approved for I130 (didn't mean anything) January 2003
-time lapse was our fault-
Sent in papers for I485 (adjustment of status) January 2006
Appointment for biometrics at Columbus MAy 8th (06)
....questions here though...We will bring our approval notice but it also says to bring a valid photo ID. MY husband entered 10 years ago without inspection and is unsure of how to obtain a "valid" ID: Will this prevent him from getting his biometrics taken? I spoke with a lawyer and she said to go and explain our situation, but I was wondering if anyone has been through this?

Any response is welcome... :eek:

When the asked me for ID I gave them my Green Card and Driver's License.

Am I reading this correctly... You are applying for your green card? I'm confused because this is a citizenship thread.

And if you are applying fro your green card, then was your 130 still valid until now? I originally came in on a k1 visa that was only valid for 90 days and I had to apply for the green card within that time or I'd be out of status.

Passed interview , waiting for oath letter.

Interview was completed within 10 min, she checked only passport, greencard and drivers license.

Mailed 12/20/2005
Receipt 01/23/2006
FP 02/15/2006
Interview 05/04/2006
Oath ??

It is done. As of 1pm 5/9/2006 I am a US Citizen. Thanks to all on this forum who gave me valuable advice. :D

Interview Date: 4/14
Oath Date 5/9/2006

I am now a US Citizen! :D

mnudvr said:
Passed interview , waiting for oath letter.
When you get your letter, would you post the location of your oath ceremony, please?

Mine was at the Ohio Historical Society near the Fairgrounds and the Deputy Clerk made it sound as if they only did this once a year. I *know* they have oaths every month, so I'm wondering what was special about this ceremony. There were 121 new citizens sworn in by 4 judges in the main auditorium.

Congrats Scruit

The ceremony you attended at ohio historical society is conducted ones in a year, it is sponsored by columbus bar association, normally the oath ceremonies are conducted at court house I think.

This thread has been inactive for some time now. I just started my citizenship process and will keep updating my timeline on this thread. I am applying after 3 years of permanent residence. I am also very much concerned about being stuck in name check as I have a very common muslim name.

Mailed N400: 07/11/06

Update on my application

Application received: 07/14/06
Check cashed: 07/21/06

Am from Cleveland

And am waiting for my oath letter.

ID was 07/14/06. Security check pending. The IO said we shd receive the oath letter in a month.

Received NOA letter

Application received: 07/14/06
Priority date: 07/14/06
Check cashed: 07/21/06
Receipt Dated 07/21/06, received 07/25/06

N-400 in Columbus

Mailing Date - 06/27/2006
Priority Date - 06/29/2006
FP Notice Received - 07/10/2006
FP Date - 07/17/2006