November N-400 Tracker

My interview will be on 1st March. Meanwhile, I will be moving to different place within same zip. What's the best way to change my address so that no issues during naturalization process. Thanks.

Any updates from the people from the DO Chicago ???

I am still "in line for an interview" from arround 60 days.

Thanks,

Hi SD0001:
Yesterday, I and my wife had our interview, of course by different officers. The officer who interviewed me was nice. First, after I took the oath, she asked for my passport and green card. I also showed her my DL, as stated in the yellow letter. She just browsed my all my passports (new and old). Then she started asking the same questions as in my application. Then once it was completed, she administered the civic and English exams. Once that was done, she asked me to sign in two places on the last page of my application and print my name, as well. But, she did not ask me to sign the photographs, which I noticed was attached to my application in a plastic pouch. I believe the same happened to my wife, as well. Once that was done, she said 'Congratulations! you have passed the interview tests. I will be getting the written decision from USCIS'. To this, I asked her how long it might take to receive the so-called written decision from USCIS. To this she said 2-3 weeks.

Then she gave me the N-652 sheet with my test results. In that she had ticked the following items.

1. You passed the tests of english, and US histroy and government
2. USICS will send you a written decision about your application
3. Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval....

I then asked her if there was any problem (since she had marked #2 above). Of course, I saw the quite a stake of paper in my file. FYI, mine was EB1 outstanding researcher for GC. She said there no problem. They will do the review of my application. If any docs are needed they would let me know via mail. But, she said "Your application looks good and I don't see any problem. Looks like all the documents are with us. I don't think we require any documents". I said " so you would need to review the applicaiton before prunouncing the final decision and I should get your decision within 2-3 weeks. Am I right?". She said yes and that I would first receive the decision letter followed by the oath letter. Of course, I was a bit dissapointed, as she had checked item 2 above, instead of saying that i am approved and should wait for my oath letter. Then I thanked her and exited the interview place.

Later, outside I met my wife and looks like he interviewer had mentioend that "congratulations! you have passed the test and your application has been approved. You should get the oath letter in 1-2 months time'. Also, in her N-656, she had checked #1 and #3 above and not #2. ALso, in her case, they didn't ask her to sign the photos. Not sure, if it is because we had printed our name and A# in pencil when we submitted our applications, as instructed in the N400 instruction sheet.

Now it the waiting game! I hate to wait, but we have no choice. I hope by God's grace, thing will come to a smooth positive conclusion.

From what I can tell, your file moved very quickly from when you did your fingerprint to your "inline for interview" notice and I guess you just have to wait for the interview letter now. You should be fine, it is quite normal to have to wait a little over a month for that. For me it's been almost a month since I did my fingerprint and my app is still under review, no "inline for interview scheduling" and of course no interview letter send out, but I know it is coming (I applied 90 days earlier)

I am finally done with my interview and took the oath at same day! I had my interview yesterday and it went very smoothly with no surprises. My interview appointment was at 7 AM and I got there 10 minutes early. The officer called my name about 20 min after my scheduled appointment. He reviewed my green card, DL and passports. Then he reviewed most of the N400 questions. Then he started the civic and reading/writing test, pretty easy. Finally, he told me that I have passed the test and interview and congratulated me. He asked if I would like to take the oath at noon. I said that would be great. Then he gave me an interview result and notice of oath ceremony. He also reminded me to bring my green card. Then I am done!

Thanks to this great forum. Good luck on your citizenship application.

Seattle, WA
11/06/12: N-400 mailed to Phoenix, AZ
11/07/12: N-400 delivered
11/13/12: NOA received (Accepted and Initial Review)
11/15/12: FP notice recvd (Scheduled on 12/5/12)
12/05/12: FP done
01/02/13: Interview scheduled
01/07/13: IL Recvd (scheduled on 02/06/13).
02/06/13: Interview Done / Oath Ceremony
XX/XX/13: Applied for Passport
XX/XX/13: Received Passport

That is AWESOME!!!! Congratulations and enjoy your new life as a US citizen.

Hi goraj:

I can't think why she wasn't asked to sing the photographs... I had to do that as well during the interview and the IO even gave me a "special" pen to do it.

Well, many IO's have different ways as well, as the DO's so, do not panic. I am too still waiting for my Oath letter and, well I am not impatient yet as it has only been 10 days since the actual Interview but, I am already afraid that if they schedule me for March... I will not be able to assist and will have to Re-Schedule (even though I know is a big no no) but, I have no other options as I have a long planned vacation and, it will cost thousands of dollars (whole family) to re-book everything. So will probably have to Re-schedule hoping they do it for April or May 2013 and I don't end-up in an endless delay.

Good luck to you and let us know when you receive your oath letters!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi SD0001:
Even though for my wife the IO mentioned at she can expect the oath letter 1 - 2 months from the interview date, the message for her case status changed last Friday itself (1 day after interview) stating that the Oath ceremony was scheduled and the letter was sent. For me, its still in the 'interview and testing stage' on case status USCIS site. What does your state? In my case, the IO marked

Hope I get the final oath letters soon. I was abit worried that the IO marked # 2 above, as well, which was not the case with my wife's.

Hi goraj:

I can't think why she wasn't asked to sing the photographs... I had to do that as well during the interview and the IO even gave me a "special" pen to do it.

Well, many IO's have different ways as well, as the DO's so, do not panic. I am too still waiting for my Oath letter and, well I am not impatient yet as it has only been 10 days since the actual Interview but, I am already afraid that if they schedule me for March... I will not be able to assist and will have to Re-Schedule (even though I know is a big no no) but, I have no other options as I have a long planned vacation and, it will cost thousands of dollars (whole family) to re-book everything. So will probably have to Re-schedule hoping they do it for April or May 2013 and I don't end-up in an endless delay.

Good luck to you and let us know when you receive your oath letters!!!

Hi everyone, I had my interview in the Santa Ana office today and was told my application has been recommended for approval. I am a little concerned that the IO officer told me that it would be about two months for the oath letter and wondered if any one else has had to wait so long. I thought it may only take about one month. Now I am worried that they may be looking harder at my application or is this just standard for this office. Also does anyone know if your home country is told you will be a US citizen, wondering about this for passport travel and being stopped at any airport. Thanks

Hi oabailey:
Congratulation! BTW, did the IO give you an interview results sheet. I went for my interview last Wednesday. The IO said congrations and had the following checkmarked.

She mentioned that she would review the files and give the decision in 2-3 weeks and then the oath letter. But, in my wife's case, they marked only items 1 and 3 above and they said that she could expect to get the oath letter in 1-2 months. But, 1 day after the interview her status changed to oath date scheduled and yesterday she got her letter. Of course, my stauts still says 'interview and testing'. BTW, USCIS does not care about ones home country and the responsibiilty is on you to surrender your passport once you get your US passport. I would appreciate if you could let me know your experence and interview test result letter.
Hi everyone, I had my interview in the Santa Ana office today and was told my application has been recommended for approval. I am a little concerned that the IO officer told me that it would be about two months for the oath letter and wondered if any one else has had to wait so long. I thought it may only take about one month. Now I am worried that they may be looking harder at my application or is this just standard for this office. Also does anyone know if your home country is told you will be a US citizen, wondering about this for passport travel and being stopped at any airport. Thanks

Hi Goraj,

my interview letter (results) had the box marked You passed the tests of U.S history and government. A) Congratulations! Your application has been recommeded for approval. Please take this letter to the Oath Ceremony. Then the last six boxes marked about notifing any change of address, come to any scheduled interview, submit all requested documents, send any questions in writing, go to anyu Oath ceremony, Notify USCIS if you cannot come to interview or Oath Cermony.

The officer was very nice and the civics questions were easy. She was very friendly handed me back my green card and passport but did make copies of them.

Hi Goraj,

my interview letter (results) had the box marked You passed the tests of U.S history and government. A) Congratulations! Your application has been recommeded for approval. Please take this letter to the Oath Ceremony. Then the last six boxes marked about notifing any change of address, come to any scheduled interview, submit all requested documents, send any questions in writing, go to anyu Oath ceremony, Notify USCIS if you cannot come to interview or Oath Cermony.

The officer was very nice and the civics questions were easy. She was very friendly handed me back my green card and passport but did make copies of them.

Congratulations, and do not worry, I also got recommended for approval and I am also waiting for approval, seems that in CA they take much longer than in other states, the IO also toldme to wait up to 3 months for the oath letter!!! I guess is just so one does not have false expectations of being fast.

Regarding your passport of home country check if they allow dual citizenship, if so then by all means do not surrender your passport, US allows dual citizenship and if your home country does then keep it! Dual citizenship is a great benefit in most cases.

Again good luck and keep us posted if you get your oath letter, I will continue to wait for mine hope it doesn't take too long.

Interview done today.
Long line at the L.A. DO, my appointment was at 2:15 but the interview only started at 3:45PM.
IO approved it. Went very smooth. I had a huge pile of paperwork with me but he did not look at them. We went over the N400, English reading/writing and Civics then we just chatted for a bit. Told me it was approved and to wait between 30 and 90 days for Oath letter.

Good luck to the other November applicants !

I have a question about airlines and advanced passenger information. I returned to the UK (home country) last year before receiving dual citizenship, ( which I hope goes well). As I had my UK passport and information was that I was a UK citizen living in the USA I had my green card (which has no expiration date). At BA desk I showed my passport and green card. I think that was a mistake as the woman at the BA counter was very rude to me. She looked at my green card and threw it across the counter saying that I was not supposed to use this anymore and THEIR PEOPLE were not doing their job. She said I would be caught one day and not allowed back into the country. Before I left I had called border control and had the officers number in my purse as he had told me that I would still be OK to use that card and no law had been passed that I needed a new one. On returning I had no problem with the border control officer and told him the problem at the BA desk which had worried me. He told me they should not have done that and I was perfectly OK to use my card.
Now a question, BA will probably want me to update my information. Should I tell them I am a UK citizen or a US citizen and what address should I use as I will be away for a number of months. Any advice from any one? BTW I would not fly BA but they have a monopoly in most UK airports and it is easier to use them for luggage purposes. Wish Virgin flew into more UK airports!

I have a question about airlines and advanced passenger information. I returned to the UK (home country) last year before receiving dual citizenship, ( which I hope goes well). As I had my UK passport and information was that I was a UK citizen living in the USA I had my green card (which has no expiration date). At BA desk I showed my passport and green card. I think that was a mistake as the woman at the BA counter was very rude to me. She looked at my green card and threw it across the counter saying that I was not supposed to use this anymore and THEIR PEOPLE were not doing their job. She said I would be caught one day and not allowed back into the country. Before I left I had called border control and had the officers number in my purse as he had told me that I would still be OK to use that card and no law had been passed that I needed a new one. On returning I had no problem with the border control officer and told him the problem at the BA desk which had worried me. He told me they should not have done that and I was perfectly OK to use my card.
Now a question, BA will probably want me to update my information. Should I tell them I am a UK citizen or a US citizen and what address should I use as I will be away for a number of months. Any advice from any one? BTW I would not fly BA but they have a monopoly in most UK airports and it is easier to use them for luggage purposes. Wish Virgin flew into more UK airports!

I think you are in the wrong post maybe wanna ask at Life after citizenship?

But all I can say is if you have US and UK citizenship already you need to use your US passport upon check in in the USA (exit) as it is mandatory to exit and enter as a US citizen, then once you arrive at UK border passport control you only show your UK passport and same when you exit. But for I can see you are not a US citizen yet, remember that being approved or recommended for approval does not make you a citizen and should be very careful as they take this very serious, you are only a citizen only after you take the oath of allegiance and receive your certificate. So for now, (unless you took the oath already) you are still a US PERMANENT RESIDENT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview done today.
Long line at the L.A. DO, my appointment was at 2:15 but the interview only started at 3:45PM.
IO approved it. Went very smooth. I had a huge pile of paperwork with me but he did not look at them. We went over the N400, English reading/writing and Civics then we just chatted for a bit. Told me it was approved and to wait between 30 and 90 days for Oath letter.

Good luck to the other November applicants !

Congratulations, thanks for sharing, can you please clarify did he actually approved the application or he Recommended you for approval? because in the form they give out at the end of the interview there is not actual APPROVED sentence or Box to mark.
So did he give you a diferent form that says Approved or you mean Recommended for approval?

My aplologies for posting in the wrong forum. I have no intention of doing anything that would jeopardize my citizenship application. My grandchildren are US citizens. I am waiting anxiously for my oath letter. Only IF and When I get my US passport will I need to update my information with the airlines. At that time I will ask in the correct forum. Just thinking ahead! With hope.

My aplologies for posting in the wrong forum. I have no intention of doing anything that would jeopardize my citizenship application. My grandchildren are US citizens. I am waiting anxiously for my oath letter. Only IF and When I get my US passport will I need to update my information with the airlines. At that time I will ask in the correct forum. Just thinking ahead! With hope.

No worries, no need to apologize, I was just trying to direct you to a thread where people could actually help you with more concise answers :)

You should not worry about the airlines there is no need to update them in any way, like I said before only when you check in i.e. in the USA going to UK check in with your US passport (once you have it) then, once in UK border control you show your UK passport, then going from UK to USA check-in with your US passport or UK (I do not know if UK has strict laws about this) but, if there is passport control as in most of Europe at exit then show your UK passport at the passport control while in UK or Europe (I know for a fact that to exit Schengen area there is exit passport control) anyway, once you arrive in USA you give the IO at POA your US passport.

Airlines do not need this information until you check in only, and so they can send it via the APIS and manifesto.

Hi SD0001:
BTW, did you online case status change from 'interview & testing' to something else after your interview? Mine still says 'intervew & testing'.

Thanks.

Congratulations, thanks for sharing, can you please clarify did he actually approved the application or he Recommended you for approval? because in the form they give out at the end of the interview there is not actual APPROVED sentence or Box to mark.
So did he give you a diferent form that says Approved or you mean Recommended for approval?