November 2009 family based filers, post here

Received Interview letter today for 2/23/2010.
Text and Email received EAD card production ordered.

Hey DreamCatcher74,

My time line is very similar to yours! Good to see everyone is getting some progress!
Looking forward of receiving my EAD soon!!

Nov 25th Checks cleared
Nov 30th NOAs received (Notice of Action is your receipt/letter that you received after you filed your forms)
Dec 21st Biometrics notice received
Jan 7th Biometrics appointment done
Jan 19th EAD card production ordered

I see my EAD is only valid for a year. Once you get the green card, do you really need the EAD? Does the green card make it null and void? Is there any reason you need to carry it around with you - like for ID purposes?

Nope. EAD is not needed when you get your GC. No need to carry as an ID

So i received my ead yesterday and applied for ssn :).
Good luck to those that have their interviews coming up.
Please post ur experience.
I hope I get my interview letter soon!

Received my EAD card..

District Office - Albany, NY
11/04/09: Day 0 - Packet sent (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765) by USPS
11/05/09: Day 1 - Packet delivered
11/10/09: Day 6 - Received NOA
Case Status: Initial review
11/20/09: Day 16 - Received Notice for FP on 12/04
12/04/09 : Day 30: FP Done. I 765 touched
12/07/09 : Day 33: I 765 touched again
12/21/09 : Day 47: Received IL
01/05/10: Day 62 : I 131-Advance Parole Approved
01/08/10: Day 65 : EAD Card production ordered
01/19/10: Day 76 : Received EAD Card
01/25/10 : Day 82: Interview Date

CONGRATULATIONS Whtmyid! It must feel surreal to have it all over an done with!

Congrats Naas and Joss on the EADs - Naas, I can't believe you don't have your interview letter yet. I know you had those RFEs, but it still seems odd. Was it a smooth process at the SSA - what did they ask for?

Good luck to those interviewing today - can't wait to hear how it goes!

Guys,

Do I need a Passport with atleast 6 months of validity on the day of Interview? Unfortunately my passport expires in June of this year. Please advice.

My interview was good till the last question....

Our interview was scheduled for 10:30 and we were called in at 11:00. The officer was extremely nice and cordial. The only question was regarding - how are we Indian-Catholics? We explained briefly about the Catholics in India. We then talked about marriage. Showed him our wedding photos and he kept few of them for his records. He verified my employment status. All was good!

That was it. He verified my wife's name and other items on the I130 form and he shifted the focus to the I485 form and asked all the Yes/No questions. Questions were all good and he told me keep the I-94 till I get my GC.

The last question was "Did I travel outside US after filing?" and the answer was "yes - to Canada". Well, I traveled on my H1B which was sponsored by my company but I should have traveled on my AP which was based on the family-based GC. That stopped everything. He informed and explained the law once you file you GC the only way you can travel is on AP (which I received only when I came back from Canada). You can still travel on H1B as long as the it employment based GC. My GC was family-based but I traveled on H1B which was employer-based. Disappointment on our faces (wife and me)

He told me that he will try his level best to get my case approved. My employment-based GC papers are still pending at some other office and both the cases have to be merged.

He told I may have to re-file the I485 but he will try to approve my employment based GC (the I130 looks good for approval) so that I don’t have to go through the re-filling process. He told there will be money involved for re-filing and he will try to make me NOT go through that situation of the re-filing process and save some money along the way.

He told us to wait and he talked with his supervisor and 3 other officers to see what can be done about my case. But unfortunately, no one knew what to do….so, now we have wait on the USCIS decision.

What a day! We were almost there...and we all (including the officer) were disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
resident1374, sorry for your disappointment, hopefully they'll figure out the case and adjust you. In the worst case you'll lose money but still will adjust.

CONGRATULATIONS Whtmyid! It must feel surreal to have it all over an done with!

Congrats Naas and Joss on the EADs - Naas, I can't believe you don't have your interview letter yet. I know you had those RFEs, but it still seems odd. Was it a smooth process at the SSA - what did they ask for?

Good luck to those interviewing today - can't wait to hear how it goes!

Thanks IrishExport. I know I thought i would receive it by not but who knows? I hope i get it soon.

As for the SSA, everything went smoothly. The only thing was the person working there did not seem to really know what was going on. I don't know maybe it was a bad day for her.

She seemed very surprised that i did not haven American passport. She looked through every page and asked when my passport expires and that the dates were written in Turkish. She also made a comment on how "not everyone speaks Turkish".
SO i had to show her that it was infact written in English. :)
But other than that it was fine. SHe looked through the passport and asked for my EAD and verified all info on it and gave me a receipt that shows that I applied for it.
She said I will have it in 2 weeks max.

R u still thinking about waiting till after ur interview to apply for ssn?

Our interview was scheduled for 10:30 and we were called in at 11:00. The officer was extremely nice and cordial. The only question was regarding - how are we Indian-Catholics? We explained briefly about the Catholics in India. We then talked about marriage. Showed him our wedding photos and he kept few of them for his records. He verified my employment status. All was good!

That was it. He verified my wife's name and other items on the I130 form and he shifted the focus to the I485 form and asked all the Yes/No questions. Questions were all good and he told me keep the I-94 till I get my GC.

The last question was "Did I travel outside US after filing?" and the answer was "yes - to Canada". Well, I traveled on my H1B which was sponsored by my company but I should have traveled on my AP which was based on the family-based GC. That stopped everything. He informed and explained the law once you file you GC the only way you can travel is on AP (which I received only when I came back from Canada). You can still travel on H1B as long as the it employment based GC. My GC was family-based but I traveled on H1B which was employer-based. Disappointment on our faces (wife and me)

He told me that he will try his level best to get my case approved. My employment-based GC papers are still pending at some other office and both the cases have to be merged.

He told I may have to re-file the I485 but he will try to approve my employment based GC (the I130 looks good for approval) so that I don’t have to go through the re-filling process. He told there will be money involved for re-filing and he will try to make me NOT go through that situation of the re-filing process and save some money along the way.

He told us to wait and he talked with his supervisor and 3 other officers to see what can be done about my case. But unfortunately, no one knew what to do….so, now we have wait on the USCIS decision.

What a day! We were almost there...and we all (including the officer) were disappointed.

I am sorry about your experience. I hope it all works out so you don't have to refile everything.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Received IL yesterday
Updating my signature..
11/23/09 sent to Chicago
11/25/09 Delivered
12/05/09 NOA received for all three applications(I130, I485, I765)
12/21/09 I765, I485, I130 touched
12/22/09 FP note received(I guess it was lost in the mail as note date is Dec 8 2009) for 12/31/09
12/23/09 Fp done(walk-in)
01/01/10 I765, I130, I485 touched
01/05/10 I765, I130, I485 touched
01/20/10 IL for 2/23/10
I have 2 questions. 1. Do everybody receive a white paper that states about criminal record papers. Because I got scared, it makes me think they found something I don't know about.
2. Do I have to take original birth certificate? Because I only have original certified copy. And it states that my husband should bring BS and proof of US citizenship. Does he really need BS as he is naturalized USC and when he had GC he had already submitted his BC. Help please because I'm getting ready. Thank You and congratulation to those who have passed their I's.

Just came back from interview.
There were just one other couple in the waiting room.
We were called 20 mins after our appointment time.
Very nice officer; she swore us in right after we entered her room.
Then, she seated us down and asked for IDs and my original naturalization certificate.
Surprisingly, she had only 3 questions for us.

1. Do you have a lease or you own a property?
2. Were you married before?
3. Do you have any children?

So it took only maybe 3 minutes but we were out in 30 minutes because she was very talkative and started telling us about the bad cases she have had before and this morning.
She said one time a couple came with FOUR attorneys and the guy eventually withdraw his petition after some grilling and her emphasis on the penalty of faking a marriage for immigration purposes.
I guess our background (living together for many years already) and the submitted information are enough to convince her our marriage is bona fide.
She didn't give us the stamp but said we can come back a week before our travel date, which is 3 week away, if we haven't received the card by then.
Before we left she also remind us to file the application for removal of the condition.
In short, very nice officer and it was good hearing her experience.
Oh, I just received an email about card production order.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

I am sorry to hear about your case.
My best wishes for you; hopefully it will be approved without further action.

Just came back from interview.
There were just one other couple in the waiting room.
We were called 20 mins after our appointment time.
Very nice officer; she swore us in right after we entered her room.
Then, she seated us down and asked for IDs and my original naturalization certificate.
Surprisingly, she had only 3 questions for us.
1. Do you have a lease or you own a property?
2. Were you married before?
3. Do you have any children?

So it took only maybe 3 minutes but we were out in 30 minutes because she was very talkative and started telling us about the bad cases she have had before and this morning.
She said one time a couple came with FOUR attorneys and the guy eventually withdraw his petition after some grilling and her emphasis on the penalty of faking a marriage for immigration purposes.
I guess our background (living together for many years already) and the submitted information are enough to convince her our marriage is bona fide.
She didn't give us the stamp but said we can come back a week before our travel date, which is 3 week away, if we haven't received the card by then.
Before we left she also remind us to file the application for removal of the condition.
In short, very nice officer and it was good hearing her experience.
Oh, I just received an email about card production order.:D

Congratultions that is wonderful news!!!!