November 2009 family based filers, post here

SSN can be of different types -

1. The first type of card shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction. It is issued to:

U.S. citizens; and People lawfully admitted to the United States on a permanent basis.

2. The second type of card shows your name and number and notes, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.” It is issued to people lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work.

3. The third type of card shows your name and number and notes, “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT.” t is issued to people from other countries:

Who are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but with a valid nonwork reason for needing a Social Security number; or
Who need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.

When do you get the "Social Security Number" ? Is it after I-485 ot I-765 is approved ?

As soon as you recive your EAD (Work permit) You can go to the SSN Administration Office and Apply, you will need: EAD, Passport ( ID), Birth Certificate (if applying for the first time). An You will get your SSCard a week later. You have to do the same when you get your GC, and they will take of the restriction (VALID WITH INS WORK AUTHOTIZAION ONLY)from your card!
Good Luck!

Received the interview letter today. Thank God!
However, it shows initial interview. Is that the same for everyone's?

Chicago DO
Nov 4 date for I130 and I 485
Interview date: 1/27/2010

Received the interview letter today. Thank God!
However, it shows initial interview. Is that the same for everyone's?

Chicago DO
Nov 4 date for I130 and I 485
Interview date: 1/27/2010

Congrats, that is great news. Yes, the first interview is always called "initial." Assuming it goes well there is no need for the infamous second interview where you are placed in different rooms. Good luck!

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it - and hopefully the mail will get back to normal now and we'll all be getting interview notices very soon!

Merry Christmas to you too. I am sure that the interview letters will reach the rest of you folks within the next week or two.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it - and hopefully the mail will get back to normal now and we'll all be getting interview notices very soon!

Updating my signature...Updating my signature
11/23/09 sent to Chicago
11/25/09 Delivered
12/05/09 NOA received for all three applications(I130, I485, I765)
12/21/09 I765, I485, I130 touched
12/22/09 FP note received(I guess it was lost in the mail as note date is Dec 8 2009) for 12/31/09
12/23/09 Fp done(walk-in)
Merry Christmas to everybody!

Question....
After the biometrics is done and EAD/FP are processed then where does the file go? To the local office or one of the bigger service centers?

Hello all,

Just wanted to join the conversation. Currently waiting for EAD for my wife.
Hope you had a great holiday.

Jer

If I am filing together I 130 and I 485, do I need to include all the documents twice or just one copy is ok? TIA

If I am filing together I 130 and I 485, do I need to include all the documents twice or just one copy is ok? TIA

Attach required documentation for each application separately in different envolope.
Easy for processing in case they end up at different desks. Good luck,

so i checked my case status on the uscis webpage today and it says that they got the rfe responses. finally moving forward. :)

so i checked my case status on the uscis webpage today and it says that they got the rfe responses. finally moving forward. :)

Congrats to you!

Beyond letting me know the last time my case was touched, my online case status never changes and I have never received an email or mobile alert. :mad: