Not enough time to respond to an RFE - any solution?

frozenlife

Registered Users (C)
HI All,

Wonder if someone can shed any light on what can be done in this situation:

I'm in a hot seat. My stupid immigration attorney whom I paid $12K+ over 6 years to stay with me till the end has received two RFE letters for my kids (Me and my wife have received our cards already). They were not old enough at the time of application to have HIV blood tests taken but have since grown up and need that. The RFE is for 30 days. The attorney has been sitting on the letters for 15 days, then told me about RFE without actually telling the date on the letters and I just got them in the mail today. They are dated 11/02 and we are already 21 day into the time I have to respond.

I have gotten a December 6 appointment with a civil surgeon without actually knowing the timeframe, thinking that would leave me enough time to respond. With the holidays I am going to loose 5 more precious days and then the tests also take about 2 days to develop. I am so going to miss the deadline!

Is there a way to request an extension of the time for RFE?

Talk to USCIS on phone. Connect to Immigration center like NSC or TSC instead of custormer support center. See if they can help you in extension. Get a written letter posted at your address.

As a parallel effort you must try to get an earlier appointment. It is not good to miss RFE deadlines.

HI All,

Wonder if someone can shed any light on what can be done in this situation:

I'm in a hot seat. My stupid immigration attorney whom I paid $12K+ over 6 years to stay with me till the end has received two RFE letters for my kids (Me and my wife have received our cards already). They were not old enough at the time of application to have HIV blood tests taken but have since grown up and need that. The RFE is for 30 days. The attorney has been sitting on the letters for 15 days, then told me about RFE without actually telling the date on the letters and I just got them in the mail today. They are dated 11/02 and we are already 21 day into the time I have to respond.

I have gotten a December 6 appointment with a civil surgeon without actually knowing the timeframe, thinking that would leave me enough time to respond. With the holidays I am going to loose 5 more precious days and then the tests also take about 2 days to develop. I am so going to miss the deadline!

Is there a way to request an extension of the time for RFE?

As a parallel effort you must try to get an earlier appointment. It is not good to miss RFE deadlines.

No kidding! I'm trying every registered civil surgeon in 30 mile radius though haven't heard anything other than voicemail as everyone's apparently gone for the holidays.

Smaller question: the RFE letter states they need to take Serologic test for syphilis and HIV but then proceeds to say that I need to submit "properly completed I-693" That form also contains TB test results that take 2 more days to develop. If the TB tests were already in the original I-693 as submitted 3 years ago, do they need that test again (so I loose 2 more days)? Again, the letter does not specifically address TB tests. Do they assume that or I should only provide what was asked for?

Thanks!

Just do whatever in the RFE (HIV and syphilis only) on I639 form. The civil surgeon should fill the new form for TB with the the old date from the old form. You should try any other surgeon even more than 30 miles because those tests will take 2 days or so to be done. I received request for my family for TB this month and went to the clinic of civil surgeon in the same day (without appointment) and explained the situation. She kindly did the TB test for them in the same day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the closest urgent care and give the HIV test now. Take the result to the civil surgeon and have him fill the form the same day, then mail. This is only a thought, I am not sure if the Doc will accept, but don't see any reason he/she would not accept a valid lab's test, unless he/she thinks it is someone else's blood. You might try faxing a letter to USCIS that for some emergency you have a minor delay in responding.

frozenlife..

which part of US r u..? if u r in the tristate area,in NY there is some chinese doctor authorized for INS..I dont think so they take a long time for results..

pls let us know...