non-medical - J1 waiver

sri2377

Registered Users (C)
Hello all
I have been going through all the messages out here. I have applied for a waiver . I want to post the time line as follows. So that it will be useful for non-medical people applying for waiver.

Sep 2006 - sent the NORI request documents to India to three places. (MHRD
-Delhi, Passport office Chennai, Home department Chennai)
Sep 2006 - sent the relevant documents to DOS J1 waiver section with fees.

Oct 2006 - Sent documents appeared online dated Oct 5th 2006. (I did not
notice how long they took to post it online. I actually saw that
after 15th Oct)
Jan 10, 2007 - Got all the NORIs from India (of course with a lot of push)
Sent them to Indian embassy Chicago along with passport.
Feb 22, 2007 - Received J1 waiver letter from Indian Embassy Chicago
dated 15th Feb with passport
Mar 13, 2007 - Received letter from Indian Embassy in D. C. dated 6th March
stating that my J1 waiver is "being forwarded to DOS" (watch
statement).

Still waiting to see the J1 waiver "received" in the DOS website. It has been almost a week and still it is not online. My husband's H1 B is under process.

-----------------

Of all this I committed one big mistake.

I did not know that my J1 waiver will affect my J1 extension. In fact all universities International affairs website state that clearly except mine. Now I called my IA office, they say they can extend my J1 before I get a favorable recommendation from DOS. This is currently under process. I dont know if they can extend.

Luckily my current DS-2019 is valid until Oct 2007. I have enough time to worry about.

These above issues are enough to keep me and my husband out of sleep. - Not knowing if you will stay in the country or not!

-----

Another mistake I did: My DS-2019 states that I am subject to HRR
My VISA states I am not.
I did not go for an advisory opinion with DOS before
starting the waiver. I through I did not have time
for that. But now it seems that I could have planned
in a better way.

Hello all
I have been going through all the messages out here. I have applied for a waiver . I want to post the time line as follows. So that it will be useful for non-medical people applying for waiver.

Sep 2006 - sent the NORI request documents to India to three places. (MHRD
-Delhi, Passport office Chennai, Home department Chennai)
Sep 2006 - sent the relevant documents to DOS J1 waiver section with fees.

Oct 2006 - Sent documents appeared online dated Oct 5th 2006. (I did not
notice how long they took to post it online. I actually saw that
after 15th Oct)
Jan 10, 2007 - Got all the NORIs from India (of course with a lot of push)
Sent them to Indian embassy Chicago along with passport.
Feb 22, 2007 - Received J1 waiver letter from Indian Embassy Chicago
dated 15th Feb with passport
Mar 13, 2007 - Received letter from Indian Embassy in D. C. dated 6th March
stating that my J1 waiver is "being forwarded to DOS" (watch
statement).

Still waiting to see the J1 waiver "received" in the DOS website. It has been almost a week and still it is not online. My husband's H1 B is under process.

-----------------

Of all this I committed one big mistake.

I did not know that my J1 waiver will affect my J1 extension. In fact all universities International affairs website state that clearly except mine. Now I called my IA office, they say they can extend my J1 before I get a favorable recommendation from DOS. This is currently under process. I dont know if they can extend.

Luckily my current DS-2019 is valid until Oct 2007. I have enough time to worry about.

These above issues are enough to keep me and my husband out of sleep. - Not knowing if you will stay in the country or not!

-----

Another mistake I did: My DS-2019 states that I am subject to HRR
My VISA states I am not.
I did not go for an advisory opinion with DOS before
starting the waiver. I through I did not have time
for that. But now it seems that I could have planned
in a better way.

You can apply for advisory opinion even if your waiver is still pending without any problem (See my signature). I know one extended his J when the waiver is pending, if you do it and get extended, just send the new DS2019 as additional information to the waiver section with nice cover letter, if extension denied, the waiver application will not be adversely affected. Good luck

mmed,

Thanks. I will do the same.

I guess the extension has to do with USCIS. Will they already know that I have applied for waiver?

The DOS has not sent any recommendation to USCIS. So will they know if I have applied for waiver?

Thanks

mmed

I am sending all documents for advisory opinion. Should I mention that I have applied for waiver? Should I mention the case number? Urgent reply needed.

Thanks

mmed

I am sending all documents for advisory opinion. Should I mention that I have applied for waiver? Should I mention the case number? Urgent reply needed.

Thanks

If you are going to apply for advisory opinion, it is highly advisable to do it on line. You will be asked some thing like; have you applied for waiver before? Say: Yes, the soft ware will ask you what is you number. Put the waiver number. This will be the same number for the advisory opinion. Later you will send all the supporting documents you already sent for waiver (copies of; DS2019 forms, Passport, .......etc). You can follow up with your case on line with the same number as I told you. If you got "Non subject" that is it, do H, GC whatever you want and forget the waiver.

mmed,

Thanks. I will do the same.

I guess the extension has to do with USCIS. Will they already know that I have applied for waiver?

The DOS has not sent any recommendation to USCIS. So will they know if I have applied for waiver?

Thanks

The only time the USCIS know, if the waiver decision sent while your application for extension is still pending. Then, the extension will be denied, still no problem the waiver is fine and you will lose just the extension fee ($198) if you extend to more than 6 months.

mmed

Thanks for the info. I got extension until June 2008.

Further I followed the online thing for request for advisory opinion and I am posting all the documents today.

Le us see what they have got to say. Thanks once again for all the guidance.

posted documents

Yesterday I posted all the documents for Advisory opinion and sent additional documentation (extended DS 2019) to DOS.

All I have to do now is to sit down and wait.

Yesterday I posted all the documents for Advisory opinion and sent additional documentation (extended DS 2019) to DOS.

All I have to do now is to sit down and wait.

Send the extended DS 2019 in separate envelope and direct it to the waiver section as additional information. In the advisory opinion package include it again with all other supporting documents. Waiver and Advisory opinions are separate sections, yes you have the same number.

Thanks for the information. I did exactly the same. Sent two letters one for advisory opinion with the bar code page and other additional documentation.

Finally the No Objection appeared online DOS as dated March 20.