Non-immigration Related: Don't open and then bash me

Awaiting approval

Registered Users (C)
I was just wondering if there has been any changes in salary since 2001 especially the way the economy is right now.

Myself, i have been with the same consulting as well as client company for the past 3 years and haven't seen a dime in raise whereas when i joined them, i was told that usually they have a 10-20% raise in salary every year depending on performance. Being a consultant, there are no bonuses anyway(correct me if i'm wrong).

Can you guys please post if you don't mind:

1)you had a pay raise/cut in the past 3 years?
2) What was the raise/cut percentage with respect to your annual income?
3) What field you are in? If IT, what sub-division(eg: developer,dba,sys admin, project manager).

I got a raise of 7-8% in nov, but bonus was cut 10%. It comes to around 2% increase. I am in IT working for a s/w company.

Same Here

Awaiting Approval:
Same case here also. I haven't seen a penny increase in more than 2 years. I'm also not asking about it because I don't want to disturb the GC process.

I Think that is the case with many people.

Thanks

Began employment in end of 2000.
3 % increase per year for 2001 and 2002.
Bonus 3.5% in 2003.
GC started in 2001 (PD=April 2001. I-140 approved Jan 2002)
Got GC in Oct 2002.
Not in software/IT field (electronics engineering)

Sadist Awaiting Approval

So you are here in the forum to add "lack of payrise" to "GC". Sorry I meant add oil to burning fire :mad:

I have seen negative payrise in the last 3 years. My manager says that being employed is the bonus :confused:

Anyway biding my time until BCIS :) on me.

Hey I am a gal and me not shy!

RD : Feb 14, 2002

Programmer

Officially a contractor/consultant. I work for a fairly large Corp.

Havent seen a raise in over 18 months. Had about 4% before that. I started pretty low so I am still underpaid but thankfully not overworked. So no regrets! knock on habib!

There are talks of a norm aka 3-5% raise in June/July on a case-by-case basis!

They increased inurance premiums and co-payment. Adding inflation to that amount leaves me with a reduction in spendable income!:(

The damn economy... spend people spend!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there are many people who got raise more than 50% since they start first time with consulting cos, as in begining salary is very low i.e. just minimum equal to H1-B requirements.

I lost more than 33% since the past 3 years. Also I am a gc holder, but what the heck, atleast I am happy I have a job.One of my friend was saying that "if you leave, there are more than a dozen people ready to do your work at less than 1/2 your salary" and this is irrespective of your salary. I am not sure, but I hear people saying that, people are ready to work without pay, just to keep in touch with the systems.

Yes I am a consultant in software too.

Re: Sadist Awaiting Approval

Originally posted by GodHelpUsGC
So you are here in the forum to add "lack of payrise" to "GC". Sorry I meant add oil to burning fire :mad:

I have seen negative payrise in the last 3 years. My manager says that being employed is the bonus :confused:

Anyway biding my time until BCIS :) on me.

Come on God (Help us GC). What was sadistic in my question? I just posted for this exact same reason that managers fool you saying anything they want to keep you from getting a raise. I just wanted to get some taste of reality so i would know and also others in the forum could benefit.

PS: It's good you're not shy about this question. Some guys/gals are.

Re: Sadist Awaiting Approval

Originally posted by GodHelpUsGC

How about the idea of knowing an intelligent and good looking boy in the Land of Desi workforce ? ;) yes my nick is actually Cheekoo :)

18% raise after year 1.
21% increase year 2.

But do not ask me the amount .. please !!! ... as my title in this forum says it all,.. kindly make it to the point yourselves .. I was supposed to be Oracle Financial Consultant ... but might take up with a Law college next year and create my own web site.

Re: Re: Sadist Awaiting Approval

Originally posted by Cheekoo
How about the idea of knowing an intelligent and good looking boy in the Land of Desi workforce ? ;) yes my nick is actually Cheekoo :)

don't talk about the nick to a chick.:) Just kidding:D

No i won't ask the amount. So far you are the luckiest.

Realist Awaiting Approval

OK, I take back, I dont want to offend anyone. :)

But whether you are cheated with no pay rise or not, only time can tell. I agree with what tooOldtoWait said. There are quite a few ready to take your job, even with no raises, bonuses or benefits.

The following link is an article on Fortune suggesting going-salary rates now. If your salary is close to the market rate, you should have no complaints.

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/annie/0,15704,407859,00.html

There is already talk about the economy going into second recession. I hope this is the worst situation we are seeing now, instead of it going any worse. I hear gossip among my American colleagues everyday about jobs moving offshore. Not long before someone comments about jobs being held by aliens / immigrants. Then we are in BIG TROUBLE.

This topics brings up an interesting question abt behavioural mgmt.

How does one go abt asking for a raise incase no raise is given.

I know its pretty tricky in a down economy but do people employ any tricks/plans to get a good raise/bonus?????

Originally posted by priyagc
This topics brings up an interesting question abt behavioural mgmt.

How does one go abt asking for a raise incase no raise is given.

I know its pretty tricky in a down economy but do people employ any tricks/plans to get a good raise/bonus?????

I know atleast one way....kiss the a$$ of your boss. It doesnt work overnight though, you need to adopt a strategy over a period of time and ask for a raise!. Wish I am good at it.

Hey !!

What is the purpose of this thread ?
Is it to console yourself when people say that they too have never recd any raise ? Or to be happy when people say they got a -ve raise ?:D
Either way, I don't have anything to contribute here rather than to just suggest to leave the employer for better prospects if you are not satisfied with what u r getting and u KNOW that u can get better renumerations than what u get right now !! Otherwise, just put up with everything.
Raise has never been a problem for me for the past 6 yrs here, though I also changed my employer on 485 for better.

here's another shy girl

The idea is to do a reality check as to whether you are being fooled by the employer. What you can do about it is a subject matter of its own. But atleast people in this forum can know where they stand.

Whether or not they decide to take action is upto themselves.

Hey, is it me or has anybody felt that Americans move higher faster than a say a Desi ? I am getting very good raise from 3 yrs given the condition(more than my colleagues percentagewise.....dont know their salary), but have not moved up much. Am I getting too paranoid or maybe there is something to that ?

Sorry, this is not immigration related.