Non-Immigration. Please advice on townhomes

BTW, we can continue discussions in this thread because it is now logically moved to another forum.

dsatish,
Yes, I too don't like the size and design of the living room. That's the only hitch that is turning me off. However on the other hand there's nothing else in Middlesex & Somerset counties for that price. Don’t want to push my budget any more and the ones that I find in other counties are very far from our work places.

None-the-less the search continues. I hope I find something better. Let’s see.

CINTA: I don’t give sh*t for your attitude and tone. You might as well shove it up your a*s. There are better ways of saying it, like dsatish & ar888 did. Yours was hardly one. It sounded more like a pathetic loser bitc**ng at anything and everything in sight. You don’t own this forum so don’t pretend like you do. Nobody forced you to read the thread. And if it bothered you, you should have expressed it decently. Don’t ever dare do that on my thread again. I don’t want to waste my time arguing or fighting with anyone. There are better things to do in life. You are more than welcome to comment or criticize, so long as you do it decently.

I saw fwe houses in Robinsville for 265-275K. But its too far for NY commuters.

Please keep this thread live......

Greetings !!
I am looking for house/town house too in NJ. I have just started my search. Does any body know any website where I can find schooling system rating or statistics by county/or city in NJ.??

Regards

NJ07054,
If the Somerset Glen is convenient for you for commuting to your work, then just go ahead and buy it. Don't make anymore delay. The way prices are going up, you can surely make some profit, even if you don't want to live there for long time.

socrates_nj,
Do you have 5 yr+ children ? If not, i don't think we need to worry too much about school district. I heard that Princeton area is the best for school district, followed by Morris County (Parsippany, Baskingridge etc).

dsatish,
Yeah one other thought I had in mind was to live there just for few years. I can get a 5-year ARM, so the monthly payments are low and then sell it in few years (maybe 4). I'll have to bear the small living room, but at least it beats renting. I'll be accumulating equity and can claim tax deductions, which I cant on rent anyway.

socrates_nj,
Here's the link. Enter the zip code and it will give quite good information. Not just school system, but also stuff like population, demographics, median age, median income, crime rate, median house rate, cost of living, economy, unemployment rate, future job growth etc. Also, all those numbers are compared to the national and regional averages.

http://houseandhome.msn.com/PickAPlace/nf_LikeMine.aspx

Ok guys, time to go to bed. Talk to you tomorrow. Goodnite.

Go ahead and buy it now. The price will go higher for sure. The housing price in central Jersey never dropped in the last 5 years.

I have a friend who recently bought a unit at Somerset Glen. I myself also live in the same area. The townhomes at Somerset Glen is quite convenient in terms of transportation. It's very close to Rt.1, about 10 minutes to Turnpike, 10 to 15 minutes to 287. Train station is 10mins away. The only drawback is the school district which is only OK but if you don't have children or only young children it doesn't matter too much. On the other hand, at a good school district as Princeton the property tax is much higher.

New townhouses always appreciate faster than older ones. Don't buy the 10 to 15 years old ones. Keep in mind it's going to be more difficult to sell a 20 to 25 years old townhouse.

Discussion about the housing market in central NJ welcome. BTW, I am shopping around for a single house in somerset/middlesex area. Anyone in the same boat?

I guess that not many new communities are being built in central jersey, and yet there are hundreds of people who want to settle there. This is what makes the real estate in this area as so costly. For this reason, the prices will not go down in middlesex and somerset counties.

Last edited by a moderator:
dsatish, NJ...

I went through all the issues which you are discussing in 2002 before buying the townhome (Hickory ridge condo).

If you guys are interested why don't you visit ours and take a look. Except for the basement I got everything. Ofcourse living rooms in town homes are smaller but it has an open plan then anything is possible. I would invite you to visit us.

Guys,
How many of you are serious about what dsatish said .... “look together at one place and we might even get bulk discount”. I recently came across a small builder who builds few homes at a time. He has built town homes and single family in the past. I am scheduled to see one of his properties somewhere around South Amboy this Saturday. I don’t think S.Amboy is anything like Somerset or Edison (at least Perth Amboy is not). The only reason I am looking at it this weekend is to see what kind of work he does.

I spoke to the lady (his agent) just now to ask if he can build me something in some other area. I also said I have a few friends who are looking as well, so maybe he can build us a few homes together (that’s where we ask for bulk discount :) ). She said that the builder has few other sites being built currently (single family for around 350) we can look at them. I asked her what if we want the homes to be built in a particular area; she said that land might be hard to come by but we’ll have to see.

I’ll talk to her in detail when I see her this Saturday. Let me know how many of you are seriously interested so I could give her a number.

OR

If we can somehow buy good size land for cheaper price, I know few big builders who can build us beautiful single family units for 210K, we'd incur other expenses like registeration, inspection, connection to the town's sewer system or septic tank etc. But even including all that it won't exceed 250K. We just have to pay for the land. I'd do it if I find something cheap. I looked and it turns out smaller lots (in good area) are not that cheap, i'd have to shell out at least 100K. Again, if we buy bulk i.e. 1 big land, we'll get it cheaper.

rajudm: Where exactly is Hickory ridge? Are you offering to sell yours or are there more in your community? Please give some more details like # of bedrooms, total sqfootage, price.

Thanks

NJ07054

What I meant was this...If you see our townhome you would know what all the features you could hope for, like backing to woods, good school district, and access to commuting stations. for example Exit 8A park and ride is 6 miles and Princeton Junction 8 miles. I wouldn't be selling mine in near future atleast until summer of 2006.

Your idea of buying land and constructing several is a good one. Some people did it in Penn state. In New Jersey land price is high so it may not be that lucrative.

rajudm, you are rite, land in NJ is not cheap. But we just might find something.
I searched and found 2 in Somerset one was 4 acres for 449K and the other was 2 acres for 220K, both residential properties. I immediately called them but unfortunately both the lots are under contract.
Let's say for example 10 of us had bought the 4-acre land and say including other costs it would have come up to 500K. That would mean 50K each. 4 acres is a lot of land for 10 homes. Then we could have had those beautiful 250K single family homes built, hell we could have asked for bulk discount because we are giving the builder a 2.5 million dollar contract. Even if we don't get any discount, it would cost us 300K.

Now it doesn't mean that we'll get another land of same size for that price, but we definitely will get it cheaper Vs buying it individually.

I know its easier said than done. But hey! You don't get anything that easily anyway, especially a decent home for less in NJ.

Something to think about guys.

NJ07054,

Thanks for creating this useful thread and also thanks for the useful web link you have provided in your earlier posting in this thread.

I am also looking for town home/single family home between 250K & 350K. My preferable place is north jersey as I work here. 10 to 15 mile radius is OK for me. If you or anyone come litte closer to north, then you can include me in your count.

North jersey guys,

please let me know if you come across any open houses in Bergen/Passaic or Rockland counties.

Thanks.

Even I'm planning to look for a town home in Middlesex/Somerset counties. I don't know whther to buy now or wait, some of you guys said that buying is a better bet, but one of my collegues was saying that waiting is a better bet, as he has seen real estate crashed in 1989 (or some time in that area).

rajudm,
Thanks for your invitation. I am not yet ready to buy the house (yet to gather enough money). More over, i definitely need a basement. I love that. It is one of the few things you don't get in apartments.

As i have said before, we can have this type of discussions in the new forum that will be open next week for "immigrationportal.ORG" activities.

Thanks NJ07054

Thanks NJ07054 for school info link.

For those who are looking in to northern NJ like myself.

There are new townhouses in Secaucus which is 15-20 minutes away from lincon tunnel. But prices were outrageous.
For approx 1700 sqft goes for 374k and 2500 sqrft goes for 425k+
The area is beautiful and convenient to NY commuters as there are NJ transit buses and train station in secaucus. But I can't afford it so as soon as I looked at the price and immediately I left the office...

you can go to http://www.thebakercompanies.com/residential/default.asp

Originally posted by dsatish
As i have said before, we can have this type of discussions in the new forum that will be open next week for "immigrationportal.ORG" activities.

You are asking as if you opened a new restaurent and ask people to come visit it. Take it easy man.:D :D :D

Originally posted by Telangana
You are asking as if you opened a new restaurent and ask people to come visit it. Take it easy man.:D :D :D

I took it (easy) :) . Have a nice week-end.

Hi Guys,

Anybody own a house/townhome in Piscataway, NJ? How's the school district there? And how about surrounding areas?

Any ideas appreciated.

Any idea about houses in princeton/montgomery township

Guys,

we have been doing research on buyin home. i dont see anyone giving details about princeton/montgomery township

have anyone explored those places ? please let me know your opinion about the price / school/ neighbourhood etc

thanks