No passport entry stamp. Problems for Naturalization Interview?

Rwickra

Registered Users (C)
I have a major concern. During the time between my N-400 submission and interview, I went on a cruise to the caribbean. Upon re-entering the US the immigration officer, did not even ask for my passport - he said he didn't want it -- he just looked carefully at the green card, and told me to go.

I usually have stamps all over my passport to verify my travel dates in and out of the US (all from airports). On my first entry into a US seaport, I'm worried that this may cause a problem during my interview.

I have the invoice from the Cruise with me showing that it was only 4 days.

Should I report this to the IO during my interview?
Or is this one of those things that could lead to delays in the naturalization process? I'm worried that if I disclose this then this might lead to waay too many questions about where the passport stamp entering to the US is etc.

Does anyone have any experience on this? Is it normal for the passport to NOT be stamped on re-entry to the US via a cruise ship?

I would say disclose the trip, explain the situation if asked about the stamp. It shouldn't cause any delays. I had quite a few stamps missing because they didn't stamp my passport. This kind of thing happens all the time. Take the invoice from your trip with you to the interview if it makes you feel better.

no, don't think you'll encounter any problems. some countries don't even stamp when you either visit them or go through them to get to another place. save, and bring with you everything related to the trip, tix stubs, hotel invoices, even receipts from dining out. do inclose this info on your N400, as it is a trip that has taken place. but like i said, i don't think you will have problems.

Definitely NOT a problem :)

I traveled extensively by private vessel prior to my N-400, and had many instances of not being stamped. One customs official even asked if I wanted them to stamp my passport! :confused:

Anyway, my IO was fine with it, even after I specifically brought up the topic. Seems to be a normal occurrence.

Thank you so much everyone for your comments. Certainly I had no idea that this was a common occurrance.

Think about it. Once someone's GC is swiped, his/her entry is recorded. So why waste space on his/her passport with an ink stamp? That space can be better used for foreign visas.

Certainly I had no idea that this was a common occurrance.

I've even been to Cuba while on my GC..a big no-no apparently. Good thing they didn't stamp my passport..that's a stamp I wouldn't want the IO to question during the interview.

I've even been to Cuba while on my GC..a big no-no apparently. Good thing they didn't stamp my passport..that's a stamp I wouldn't want the IO to question during the interview.
Yup, that's for sure.

I have traveled to and from the US many times while being a GC holder, and let me share my experiences here. I don't know if these things are codified in law, but they seem the be the "unwritten rule" at border crossings. When entering the US via air, they will ask to see both your GC and your passport. They generally stamp your passport, but not always. They are not required to, but when they do they write "ARC" in the "Admitted until" section to indicate your status as a LPR.

When crossing into the US via land or sea, the CBP guys generally do not want to see your passport. I have never been asked, and I observe that when crossing in from Mexico via the pedestrian lanes that most of the people crossing (presumably Mexicans who are LPRs) don't bother to carry their passports. They just hand over their GCs when it is their turn. I have never been asked for my passport at a land or sea crossing, hence there are no stamps in it. Sometimes GC is swiped, sometimes not, but I believe that in the future they will start to swipe every document upon return to the US...

The fact that you don't have stamps in your passport for every trip is irrelevant. Countries are not required to stamp your passport. The important thing is to be honest and to indicate that you took this trip. If it makes you feel better, print out the itinerary and bring it with you to the interview. I have short trips that I couldn't even remember for my N-400, so I made a good faith estimate and listed that on the N-400. That being said, I will be sure to bring lots of documentation that proves I have lived here continuously for five years and that all my trips out of the country were very very short (usually a weekend getaway at the longest.)

I also have the same dilemma.

I have made several short trips outside of the US since acquiring my greencard. The shortest trip was 2 days to London and the longest
was 7 days to Germany. a total of 6 trips. that's altogether 17 days out of the US in the last 5 years combined. unfortunately, there isn't a single US immigration entry stamp in my passport! I alwasy hand over my greencard and my passport to the officer. but they always only swipe my greencard without even opening my passport.(therefore no stamps) on the other hand, all the European countries that I visited had stamped both the entry and exit stamps in my passport.

I did clearly list each and every overseas trip on my n400 application form. As a matter of fact, I have all the original airline tickets and boarding passes and even airport parking receipts from the previous 5 years.

unfortunately, I'm wondering if that's enough for the interview?

Last edited by a moderator:
danny1968, that's perfectly fine for the interview, don't worry, most people don't get stamps for all their trips, it is very common. If you listed your trips correctly that's what matters.

danny
that's more than enough. list the travel dates on the N400 (i assume you have) and then bring with you whatever you have related to travel, like tix, hotel stays etc. most of the time the passport and/or travel document does not get stamped when entering the US. not your problem

Actually going there is not an issue. Spending money is. So technically if a Canadian resident/citizen sponsors your entire trip to Cuba, you are ok :)

The irony is that for dual citizens, the US expects you to use your Canadian passport when entering Canada, but also expects you to obey the US imposed trade embargo on Cuba if you decide to travel to Cuba via Canada. Hopefully the new administration will take a different approach and realize that the current embargo is outdated and ineffective.

For the record, I totally disagree with the US policy towards Cuba.

However the US should expect dual citizens (say dual Canadian/US) to obey the trade embarbo because they still are US citizens, even if they enter Canada on their Canadian passports.

The irony is that for dual citizens, the US expects you to use your Canadian passport when entering Canada, but also expects you to obey the US imposed trade embargo on Cuba if you decide to travel to Cuba via Canada.