No Licences for H1?

tightwait

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,
My brother-in-law recently went in to the Department of Motor Vehicles to renew his license and was told by the licensing authorities that there is a new rule in effect that says that H1 do not get licenses. My brother in law is currently in the 485 stages of his Green Card and is planning to renew his H1 visa stamp on his passport, so w/o his license he will be left w/o an id. Also, he needs a license for obvious reasons. So does anyone know of this rule, and what is the solution to this issue. How can he get his license.
Regards,
Tightwait

There is no rule like that. Ask him to go again, if they still wont give him ask him to get all the information about the person who is not issuing the drivers license renewal & talk to an attroney

Take I797 approval to the DMV office which processes Non uS citizens' Driver license. Not all DMV offices are authorized to do that now. Search your state's DMV site for more info.

Pinch of Truth

Dear tightwait,

There may be some truth in what they said. The truth is that there is a rule stating that if you dont have atleast 13 months of visa remaining on your visa(any visa ,not just H1) then they will not allow you take the exam.So ask him to renew his h1 so that his passport reflects the new length of visa and he can get his ID.
As far as Photo ID for visa revalidation is concerned-I had one 3 months back and they dont ask for your driver's license or any form of photo ID.they only need your photographs,passport along with other documents which you may be knowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you ask him to do online. then it is not a prob. I think they will send him non-photo Id. then he can keep old one with new one.