Registered Users (C)
Dear All,

My NIW got apptoved in August 2008 (applied July 2007). My I-485
has been pending since July 2007 (concurrent filing). From next week
I will be jobless. Will this joblessness create a problem in the
adjunction of i-485??

Many Thanks,
Mtsaha

With an NIW you don't need a job offer or a job, but you still have to show sufficient income to sustain yourself and you have to show that you intend to continue to work in your area.

With an NIW you don't need a job offer or a job, but you still have to show sufficient income to sustain yourself and you have to show that you intend to continue to work in your area.

Thanks!! But when i will i be asked to "show sufficient income to sustain yourself and you have to show that you intend to continue to work in your area."??

Thanks!!
mtsaha

Once an officer processes your I-485 (whenever that is, depending on your PD as well), you may receive a request for evidence that you continue to work in the same area of national interest that your petition is based on. At that time, you will probably have to provide a letter from your employer which hopefully you will have by then. Not all NIW filers get this kind of request (I didn't), but from what I've seen on this forum and others, most do.

I would advise you to obtain a letter stating that as of today you are working at blah blah.... NOW. If you get a RFE soon then you could use that. Hopefully you wont get RFE and you will be fine. Sorry - this is a diificult situation and good luck to you.

I didn't have to show proof either. I think it depends how long your case took to process. For me it was under a year. If your I-140 is pretty old you are more likely to be asked to prove you still work in the same area.

Continue Mtsaha's case, can Mtsaha apply for unemployment insurance?
Mtsaha should be qualified for UI, but will it affect the NIW application?

I dont think so - to my limited knowledge. That is usually grounds for rejection of visa in other countries.