Nexus and future TN

h1tn

HI All,

I am a Canadian Citizen, Previously i worked on H1, Once i got a full time in Canada came back, but did not return I-94, still valid.

I had my Nexus Interview, the American Officer checked previous I-94 and asked if i still worked with the same company, i said no. He took back the I-94 and rejected issuing Nexus card. He mentioned, if i was at a port of entry, i would have been banned from entering, but now i cannot touch you because you are not asking to enter USA. He did mention that, this will not effect my Future TN or H1b applications.

Now all i want to ask from you all are

1.Will this effect my future TN or H1.
2. Will US officials stop me from crossing the border
3. Is USCIS/INS going to see this history and effect my future applications like GC or any type of Visas.

Any information is welcome, or can anybody with similar experience share what happened in the past.

Thank you

First, your statement "I-94, still valid", was obviously wrong. It was unexpired, but certainly not valid.

But, as the officer, said, you were not denied entry, so this is a small bump in the road.

It will not affect entry into US in any non-immigrant status, and certainly would not affect any immigrant visa.

Thank you nelsona for your quick reply.

Your reply made me little lighter.........I guess i will not be completely relieved till i make a crossing or get a TN status/use my unused H1b time.

It will be more than a year before i will give TN a shot (i am also waiting for 3 year rule), but the thought that this 'bump' would spoil my plans scarred me. Canadian market is too small for my field of work and it is crowded too.

Thanks once again.

In a classic story twist, Nexus officer(could be a higher-up) called my home two days after interview and said, i do not see any problems with your application and asked us to come and collect the nexus cards.

The next day we were there at the office and all my family collected there nexus cards.

Well i am happy, thinking that i do not have to wait too long at the border.

Thanks,