NEwark Office tracker for GC thru Marriage or a Relative

FINALLY!

My case is approved today! (Got the letter)

My parents are US citizens. (So I'm family based. Transfered from Green card holders' unmarried child to US citizens' married child).

Submit I-485 on 7/2002
Fingerprint on 9/2002
EAD on 10/25/2002
AOS interview on 12/10/2002
EAD renew sent on 9/10/2003 - wasted money, no reply yet :(
AOS approve letter today (12/3/2003)

CHEERS!

It's Newark, NJ!

When I was waiting for the interview yesterday, I talked to a lawer who came with his client. He said backgroud check was based on your home country's response. My home country is China.

Re: FINALLY!

sunhaolu,
finally you got the lucky break. It was a long time to wait from AOS interview to the approval. Almost 1 full year..

goodluck....

Originally posted by sunhaolu

My parents are US citizens. (So I'm family based. Transfered from Green card holders' unmarried child to US citizens' married child).

Submit I-485 on 7/2002
Fingerprint on 9/2002
EAD on 10/25/2002
EAD renew sent on 9/10/2003 - wasted money, no reply yet :(

CHEERS!

It's Newark, NJ!

Hi SW

I recently got married to a US citizen and wanted to know the details on which all forms are needed to apply for a green card. I am currently working on an H-1.

Thanks for your help.

me2

Hi Guys..

me2, can u point us to a list of docs req? it looks lile the whole process take a little over a year to finish in Newark, NJ is that right?

Hey Anil.. please post if u found something useful !

Thanks.. in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
anil24,amarshah,
The process is straight forward.
Following forms need to be sent
a) 485
b) I-130 (sponsorship fro US Spouse)
c) EAD if you want to work
d) Biographic Form

The fees, photos are all standard.

If you have a question about any specific form, let me know...

goodluck

Hey SWaiting !
Thanks,

I think i've a issue here, I'm married for about 2.5 yrs and my wife is a citizen. but she recently lost her job, although i'm still working and on H1.. Please advise.. is it better to go to a lawyer.. althought i've no other complications other than what i've mentioned above.

Also is it true it takes about a year from start to finish in Newark, NJ?

Thanks for ur help,
Amar Shah

amar,
a) You wife loosing the job means you will need additional support ie from your father in law or something. Need to file I-864 and I-864A.

b) NJ is doing the I-130 and I-485 in 10 months these days. But nothing is written in stone like they say...

goodluck

Complicated question

Hi All:

I'm not even sure what forum my question belongs in. If a moderator feels it is better elsewhere, I would appreciate your pointing me to the other forum.

Here goes -

I'm on H1B. Married. Recently blessed with a baby boy. Not sure about whehter to apply for an american passport for him or Indian. My GC Labor stuck for 2 years. Unsure about staying here permanently. Is there a web page, FAQ which will tell me what options are available for my son at this time, and later on in life?

Thanks a ton.

GCIntezaar

GcIntezaar,
Just a few things I can add.
a) If the Kid is born in USA, then he is a US Citizen. The only passport he is eligible for is a US Passport. He can get a Indian Orange card or Dual citizenship later(if that ever materializes) but not a Indian Passport under present rules.

b) If he is born in India, you need to get the H-4 for him..

goodluck

Hello Everybody,

My dates are :

Mailing Date Oct/01/03.
Oct/07/03 - Got letter from Newark, Nj, like,
I-130 - 300 days
I-485 - 300 days
EAD - 90 days...

I've not recieved any information after that...
like fingerprint appointment for EAD, or Notice of Action

is it normal? or should i contact them?

Thanks

Galaxy03,
its too early to contact them. These are holiday days so things are too relaxed. Hopefully you should have the FP and EAD notice soon. If you feel you have the time to spare and go early and check, sure go ahead. Normally it hasnt helped much in the past to people but you never know...

goodluck

Sunhaolu,

Did you retain the original priority date when you switched categories or did you get a new priority date?

Thanks.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by sunhaolu

Submit I-485 on 7/2002
Fingerprint on 9/2002
EAD on 10/25/2002
EAD renew sent on 9/10/2003 - wasted money, no reply yet

CHEERS!

It's Newark, NJ!

Nothing Yet....i called 800 number and they were suppose to run a query on my case and inform me in 30 days, but it's more than 30 days now. see the worst part is they don't inform you any thing..

Anyway It's a wait game.. and INS is playing really cool...

Hi,

I applied at the Newark local office on Nov 13th 2003 and got the receipt a week after. The receipt date is Nov 18th 2003. My receipt no is only 7 chars long. So I am not able to check the status online. It says I have to have a 13 digit receipt no.

I have moved to a new home(in NJ itself) this week and sent the AR11 form for change of address. Today I called the INS toll free no, and was told that I should send a letter to the Newark office notifying the change of address. I am expecting my EAD shortly. Will the change of address slow down the process ?

I heard that the local offices are slower than the service centers, Is that true ?

Please let me know if anybody has experience with change of address.

Thanks in advance

birth,
since you applied at the local office, the Vermont Centre, the INS toll free number etc wont be applicable in your case as they dont have any local office info.

The good thing is Newark Office is much much faster than Vermont and even lot of local offices.

The receipt No is of no help in online tracking either.

Send an AR-11 to the local office. Even if the documents come at the old address, the Post office will forward them to your new address.

When you go for the EAD interview, confirm the address change with them...

goodluck

PS : What time frames did your reciept mention for AOS interview? Please post it...

Thank you very much for the reply. I still have some more questions.

The AR11 form is to be sent to the London, KY office. I sent it there by certified mail. But I don't know whether they would update it promptly...and I heard that the mails from INS are generally not forwarded by the post office. It will be written on the envelope 'Do not forward' or something like that. That is what is worrying me.

The time frames mentioned on my receipt are
EAD - 90 days
I130 - 300 days
i 485 - 300 days
Thanks again...

The AR-11 goes to KY. They will do NOTHING with local ofice.
You have to mail it to Newark local office seperately.

INS mail is forwarded to your new address. It was done for me. so dont worry much..

Take care of the address thing when you go for EAD intertiew..

goodluck