Newark NJ - Naturalization Experience

GC_KA_CHAKKAR

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends
I and my wife are proud citizen of US now.
I am putting my Experience, just may be it might benefits some of my friends and folks in this forum
I had interview and 8:40 AM and for wife at 9:00 AM. Reached at around 8:10AM - 8:15 AM. Already 100 ppls before. I guess folks having interview at around 10:00 AM where also there.
1. Submit appointment letter at window 1. The lady is smart and I guess sort the letter according to Appointment time. So Even if you have interview at say 11 AM and go at 8 AM, may be you will not be called till 11:00 - 11:30 AM
So try to reach like 1 hour before, unless you wanna wait in room for 2-3hrs. The lady distribute letter for Different Room (1 ,2 and 3). Each Room has probably around 5-10 IO and 5-10 cubicle for interview.
2. In this case my wife was assigned to different Room than me and was called before me, she was back in 10 mins and I was called immediately in different room. Me to back in 10-15 mins
SO All process was done by 9:45 not bad just 1 1/2 hr
3. As per as interview experience, I am not sure how many had similar experience at Newark, but surprisingly me and wife had similar experience, although IO was different person. Others may probably have same experience

As soon as I was in Interview romm I was asked to swear If i will say truth
Officer opened my file and ask If I had to do any changes in my form, I just told that I had missed mentioning about my Candad trips and handed him new copy of that page.
Asked If I wanna change my name
Asked if how many kids I have ?
Where do I work ?
I was expecting him to go through asking me all Yes/No Question, but he just checked everything with pen on the form and finally asked me If I support US Constitution, I said Yes
4. Got a Set of Printed Paper which had test Questions. Asked 6 and was done.
What did the Declaration of Independence do
Name one branch or part of the government
We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years
If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
What does the President's Cabinet do
When was the Declaration of Independence adopted

And he then asked to read and write a line of about 5-6 words.
And was Done
Intrestingly wife had same exact question. I guess they have 3 - 4 set oif 10 question each.
And in 10 mins I was done, almost feel like it was decided even before that my case is gonna be approved.
The IO was nice, he was not too friendly but not rude too.
My case is 5 years employement based.
I was not asked to show any documents, although I had carried most of them and will recommend to others too.

I had Oath Ceremony at 11:20 AM and done in another 15-20 mins, I had changed my SSN status after GC only.

My feeling is unless you have some DUI, Arrest, Court Case or Immigration isue you are almost approved unless you mess up in 10 questions.

I Thanks Almighty for completing my journey going all the way back from H1 - GC- Citizen
And I wish all my fellow and friends good luck and great wishes in there Citizenship process

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally Agree with the above post by GC KA CHHAKAR.
I had my interview yesterday at 200PM at Newark-- It was piece of cake.
I applied in July-- PD July 13th 2009
ID/Approval/Oath Oct.29th 2009
took little over 3 months for the process.
Kidsdoc

Congratulations!!
You should change your SSN status so that SSN data show you as US citizen and not LPR or GC holder.

Hi Ginnu
Thanks a lot
I asked the lady there, and says you need to change SSN card only if it says "Only for Employment Purpose" which I had changed after receveing my Green Card.

But I will check with SSN office. I had lot of time yesterday after my Oath, but lady said I don't need to change SSN Status, as it doesn't say "Only for Employment Purpose", unless I have name change, which I didn't

But Others can tell me if they had such things, I may call SSN Office and see

If you sponsor any family based petition in future or for arms license then better update the SSN now so that they have your record as US citizen. Lady gave you wrong info. If you update the SSN office with your Naturalization certificate (submit the Copy) or with US passport then SSN records will show you as US citizen and you will get new SSN card (number remains the same).
**Also update Newark Thread so that others can read your Interview experience.

Congratulations!

I was sitting in the same waiting room as you; my appointment was also at 8:40 a.m. yesterday at the Newark DO. (I now wonder who you were!!!!!!)

Unfortunately for me, though my interview was also done at 9:45 a.m., they didn't call me back to the window for the certificate and "red book" (as they called it) till 11:30 a.m., which meant I missed the oath ceremony and had to stick around for the 2:00 p.m.

Congrats, fellow citizen!!

But I will check with SSN office. I had lot of time yesterday after my Oath, but lady said I don't need to change SSN Status, as it doesn't say "Only for Employment Purpose", unless I have name change, which I didn't

But Others can tell me if they had such things, I may call SSN Office and see

Check this link:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10002.html#immigration

"If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated"

Congratulations!

I was sitting in the same waiting room as you; my appointment was also at 8:40 a.m. yesterday at the Newark DO. (I now wonder who you were!!!!!!)

Unfortunately for me, though my interview was also done at 9:45 a.m., they didn't call me back to the window for the certificate and "red book" (as they called it) till 11:30 a.m., which meant I missed the oath ceremony and had to stick around for the 2:00 p.m.

Congrats Buddy
I know, My wife got Nat Cert and Red Book and I was waiting, almost got at 10:57, wonder why they can't schedule it so all the one interviewed before get Oath at 11:00. Its so boring to wait there till 2:00, I won't call it frustrating, because you are already citizen and enjoying that moment
I know when couple with small baby, Dad got interviwed and mom was being interviewed at 11:00, poor father was sirring with baby for Oath, even the lady asked where the mom was.

Congratulations!

Btw, How was ytour Interview
Share your experience