Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Thanks omg...I really appreciate you answering my questions. I will share my experience after my interview tomorrow. My time line is almost the same as yours except that I had to go for FP the second time. One quick question about parking. You said that you parked at the lot close to the building. I saw a parking lot when I was looking at the google map but I was not sure if I could go in the parking lot from Broad St. or I had to drive to the back. If you see this, could you let me know. Thanks.

No problem, khunrj. I'm monitoring this thread tonight trying to answer any questions and soothe any anxieties that may exist... I know how that feels, trust me.:D
I came to Newark via 280 East and made a right on Broad str. This way the parking lot and 970 Broad street will both be on your left, but you can easily and legally make the left turn at the entrance of the lot. Then you go out of the back exit and enter the building through the back entrance on your left. (it has three entrances in total.)

Thanks omg...I think I remember that all the entrances to the building are on the left side of the building (if you are facing the front of the building on Broad St.). When I visited the building several years ago, it was so confusing back then because I had to run around asking what entrance to use. It was so crowded and I had to wait more than an hour before I could get in. I am glad you said that it did not take you that long at all. Someone who went there two years ago told me that I should use the middle entrance. Is there a particular entrance to use?

Thanks omg...I think I remember that all the entrances to the building are on the left side of the building (if you are facing the front of the building on Broad St.). When I visited the building several years ago, it was so confusing back then because I had to run around asking what entrance to use. It was so crowded and I had to wait more than an hour before I could get in. I am glad you said that it did not take you that long at all. Someone who went there two years ago told me that I should use the middle entrance. Is there a particular entrance to use?

If you stand on Broad Street, facing the building, there are three entrances: One in front of you, one to your left, and one behind the building, exactly opposite the front one. The parking lot is to your right.
From what I saw, there is absolutely no difference which entrance you use, they all lead to the main lobby and they all have staffed security stations which move fairly quickly.

EDIT: When I showed up this morning, I tried using the back entrance. There was a guard, but the door was locked and he signaled me to walk around to the entrance to the left. Halfway around, I saw another security guard leading a group of people to the entrance that I had just tried. I asked him if it was OK to use it and he said yes. Walked back and eventually entered through that entrance. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my experience today. My appointment was at 9AM, so we left the house 10 minutes before 7AM because of the snow even though it normally takes only 30 minutes for me to get there. We were at Newark a little before 8:30AM. At first, we tried to park at the parking lot across the street from the building because I was not sure if the parking lot that omg mentioned would be opened. That was a mistake because they were still digging a lot of snow. We got out and drove past the parking lot next to the building that omg suggested but they blocked the entrance, so I thought we should check at the back entrance and it was opened and we could park there. We were there more than 2 hours, so it costed me $14 to park.

When we walked to the building at about 9AM, we were told at first that the building was not going to be opened until 10AM. We stood around for a few minutes when they said that they could open the building for people who needed to go up to the 15th floor. However, the court on the 13th floor was closed for the day, so they asked people to leave except people for the citizenship interview. Then, they asked people to show the appointment paper and checked us in. A guard asked my friend for an appointment paper and I told him that he was with me, so he was asked to show an ID. We had to take off our coats, anything in the pockets, and our belts. Some women were asked to take off their boots or shoes. It did not take me long but only about 20 people were in front of me.

On the 15th floor, there was a guard who asked to see the appointment paper again and asked to set my phone to vibrate. Then, he told me to go to Window #1. There were 8 windows. I walked to Windows #1 and gave the appointment paper. Then, I was told to wait until my name was called.

While I was waiting, a supervisor came out and told us that it was very unlikely that an oat ceremony would take place today because several people could not come to work. She promised that people who came today would be interviewed, but she also would like to ask if anyone wanted to be rescheduled. She made the same announcement several times and some people rescheduled. Majority stayed. I was still hoping that they might change their minds but after 2 hours, she came out again and said that there was no oat ceremony for sure and some people might have to wait several more hours because they did not have many IOs. I noticed that while I was waiting, some people were told to go to the 13th floor but I thought that that was where the court was, so I am not sure why some people had to do that.

At 11:30, I was called in to Door #1. The IO was very nice and she asked me to stand and raised my right hand to swear that what I was about to say would be the truth. Then, she asked me to sit down and asked for my DL, GC, and passports that I used in the past 5 years. I gave her two passports because I got a new one only 3 years ago. I, then, mentioned to her that I might have switched the country names on my application when I listed when I left the U.S. It was just a minor mistake, so she corrected it with a red pen. Then, she went over my application very fast. Asking first when I left the U.S. in the past 5 years. After that, she asked the questions that I answered mostly No and some Yes on the application. She read it pretty fast and I was going to ask her to slow down but I was able to understand, so I did not interrupt.

After that, she asked the civic questions:

- Who is the vice president?
- What is the highest court in the U.S.?
- How many amendments does the constitution have?
- What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?
- Why did the colonists fight the British?
- Who makes federal laws?

Then, she started explaining about my fingerprints. She said that when I went for the second time, the machine was still not able to read my fingerprints. Therefore, she needed me to get a police clearance from my local police station to indicate that I was never arrested or committed any crimes. Since I have been living at the same address for 16 years, she said that I only needed one letter. I asked if she could provide a letter or something to me so that I could show someone at the police station to make sure that I was asking the right thing. She said yes and she provided me with a form with the information stating what I needed to get. Then, she told me that since they could not verified my fingerprints, she needed to ask me a few questions and she needed to record my answers. She reminded me that I was still under oat. She started with asking my name, my birth date, and where I was born. Then, she asked if I had ever been arrested and some other questions similar to what I filled out on the N-400 form. After that she printed the questions and my answers and asked me to sign the paper.

Then, she said that she needed to schedule me to come back but she needed to give me about 2 months so that I would have enough time to get the letter. If I could not get the letter from the local police station, she said that I could get one from the state police. That would be acceptable. My appointment to go back will be on March 30. I was okay with it because I did not want to try to go back soon and might run into a snow problem again. When I spoke with someone who went through this process about 2 years ago, he said that it took him 10 months to complete. By the end of March, it will be only 6 months for me. That is still pretty good.

At the end, she asked me to go back out to the waiting room and go to Windows #8 because she had to make some copies of my passport pages. She gave everything back to me and that was it.

By the way, if anyone wonders why I did not mention the English test, I did not have to do that because I have been a permanent resident more than 20 years and I am over 50 y/o.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

khunrj - congratulations on finishing the interview. The rest is just a formality and I'm sure you can get that letter from the local police fairly easily. And a very wise decision to get your appointment later. This winter is turning out to be brutal, so no guarantees for early dates.

OK, I am all done. What a relief!

First, the answers to the questions above:

1. Kids are welcome with their parents; in fact, some were present today.
2. The two parents won't be called in at the same time, even if their appointment times are exactly the same.
3. Cell phones: To my surprise, we weren't even asked to turn cell phones off in the interview area, we were only asked to put them on vibrate and if we had to take a call to step out in the lobby.
4. Bringing cameras and laptops is not only perfectly fine, we were ENCOURAGED to take pictures in the oath area by the staff.
5. Overall, a very positive experience.

Geez, what a journey this has been... I've been living in the States for almost 12 years and it is only today that this is over!
Thank God for making this happen and everybody here and on the other board for all the help and support!

omg_stfu:
many thanks for your detailed information. very helpful.

Had my interview yesterday - Appointment was at 8:40 am. Parked on the opposite parking lot. reached at 7:45. Long line for metal detector. Went in at 8:15 to 15th floor. Presented interview letter at window. Spouse was called in at 8:50, I was called at 10:30. We had taken our kid along, he was kept busy with toys in the waiting room. Asked the usual 10 questions to both of us - stopped at 6th. Lot of questions from my application form - like member of communist party? Was a Nazi, etc.?

Here is my timeline:
0927 - posted ordinary mail
1001 - Priority Dt
1005 - Notice Dt
1008 - Check encashed
1022 - NOA email - RFE
1109 - FP scheduled/done (hackensack)
1225 - email Case moved to local office.
1231 - Interview Letter Recd
0131 - Interview scheduled/Passed.

congratulations altavista. Thanks for the input. Were all questions related to what was on the form? were there any other questions that were not covered as a part of the N-400? Just want to be prepared when I go in there :)

congratulations altavista. Thanks for the input. Were all questions related to what was on the form? were there any other questions that were not covered as a part of the N-400? Just want to be prepared when I go in there :)

Yes, every question was from the N-400 and the 100 question set. the IO went thru each and every N-400 section and confirmed everything by asking questions. wish you the best.

I became a US Citizen yesterday. I obtained an employment-based green card in November 2005 (self-petitioned EB1-EA) and applied for the citizenship in first week of October 2010. I had a traffic ticket that I declared on the application and the yellow letter asked me to bring in the court deposition in the interview.

The interview appointment was at 8:00, but we reached the USCIS office at 8:15 even though we left well in advance (bad weather).

There were at-least a hundred people already in the waiting area. My wife's name was called in less than 15 minutes (along with five other names) and they were all sent to the 13th floor for the interview. She was back in about 40 minutes. During the interview, the IO just confirmed some information from the application and asked usual civic and English questions. The interview took about 5 minutes.

My name was called around 10:15. After confirming some information from the application, the IO asked if I was ever stopped by a law enforcement officer. I mentioned the traffic ticket declared on the application, and another ticket that I received after sending the application. I also mentioned three new foreign trips that were not on the application. She asked if any of those trips lasted more than 6 months, and I said no. I then offered the itineraries but she was not interested.

She then asked some civic questions and finished the interview. We waited to review the citizenship certificates and then waited for the oath ceremony at noon.

A very smooth and pleasant experience.

How long does it typically take between Dallas Lockbox receives the N-400 and NOA is send out/ check cashed? .

As per USPS, my application was delivered on 01/30. I had included a G-1145 and was expecting that I would receive an email/ text notification next day or so. Granted that it's only 3 days, but I am just concerned as USPS already had already goofed up with delivery and the mail was delivered on 01/30 after a case was opened with USPS.

Would appreciate any inputs based on your experience.

Just got approved at Newark Office and became US citizen. What a day after horrible blizzard! My appointment was at 9 AM and reached USCIS office at 9:15 AM. everybody was late due to snow. I applied on Oct 5, 2010 for N-400 and FP was done on Nov 12. I got an appointment notice in Jan to appear for interview on Feb 1, 2011.
After submitting the interview notice at window #1 on 15th floor and soon asked to go to 13th floor and wait for interview. Now the eternal wait begins. waiting room was full of people.we were waiting for a long time and after about 3 1/2 hr, i was called in. Officer was nice lady. She went through with yes/no questions on the N-400 application. She moved on to civic questions. I answered all 6 of them and asked me read and write a sentence. That was it. breeze. Officer asked me to sign the certificate and suggested me to go to lunch and wait for oath ceremony on 15th floor. we waited for 1 1/2 hr and took the oath and handed over the naturalization certificate. That was great thing on a louzy day.