Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Hi dvfm, I have my interview next month (hopefully I'll pass). Anyway, can you tell me the address of the PP office in PA. Also does the applicant have to go in person (can spouse go instead of me). Also what's the approx time frame for NJ post offices. Thanks

you have to go in person, and the address is:
U.S. Custom House
200 Chestnut Street
Room 103
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2970

and the post office, i have no idea!

I am writing to you as a citizen of the united states! Woohooo

I am so overwhelmed and tired so I'll give the details of my interview and naturalization process later. It is finally over. Thanks be to YHWH, the Great God.

Posting for the first time on this forum. Here is my story till date

GC: 8/1/05 (employment-based)
SC: Houston, TX
DO: Newark, NJ
06/11/10: N-400 Mailed
06/14/10: ND/PD
07/1/10: RFE for FP
07/6/10: FP letter
07/29/10: FP done
xx/xx/10: YL received
xx/xx/10: Transferred to local office
xx/xx/10: IL received
xx/xx/10: Interview and Oath

It's almost a month now since FP. No change in the status message which still states about the RFE for FP. Now, is this yellow letter mailed out to all applicants. I see some applicants directly receiving the interview letter. How long does it take to receive the YL after FP ?

OK Guys, Here I write you as citizen of the USA.
It was a great journey for me. I first came to this beautiful country in 2000 on H4 visa, I stayed here for couple of months but things did not work out with spouse so went back to my home county. Later in March 2002 I got my H1B and came here as temporary worker. I applied for my GC through my employer with labor substitution. Got my GC on 3/2005.
I applied citizenship in April 2010 and here I am a US Citizen in Aug 2010.
My interview actually was on 23rd August, I messed up with my signatures (corrected now).
I reached the Newark office at 7:50 AM for my 8:40 AM interview. There was a big line outside the building; I finally cleared the security at about 8:20 AM. Went up and gave my interview letter to the clerk. My name was called at 9:35 AM. The lady who took my interview was a bit rude and rough. She took me into an office, asked me not to sit and raise my right hand. I swore and then she asked me to sit down. The interview went very very fast. About 5 minutes at the most. She started with Civic test:
Who is the vice president?
What people came to America as slaves?
Who make federal laws?
Why did America fought with British?
How many amendments?
How many justices ?
Then she very quickly went over the application as asked for routine questions like arrest, prostitute etc. Then she said that she is recommending me for approval and I should wait outside for the oath letter.
I waited outside and got my oath letter just before the 11:30 oath began. They directed me to the room (on the same floor) for the oath.
Note:
I did have traffic tickets and did not mention them on the form.
I am currently on unemployment benefits.
Soon after the oath at about 12:15, I rushed to New York Passport Office. I did not have an appointment but decided to try my luck. I printed a letter on my company’s letterhead stating that I have urgent need to travel (8/27) and have to get a visa to the country I am going.
The lady at reception asked me if I have the appointment, I said no and showed her the letter. She accepted it and asked me to wait. My number was called in the next 55 minutes as it was a full house. The passport officer was very polite and took all my paper work, I asked him if I can get my passport today and he said yes!.
I had my passport in hand at 4:10.

At the end I like to thank everybody on this forum to share their experience and insights. Special thanks to UnitedNations, He gave me pointers about the labor substitution which even my lawyer didn’t know. I was able to utilize the substitution just because of his advice.

Ok, so here is my story:

I had my appointment in the morning (8:40am), however, I was actually called at 10:15am!! Believe me when I tell you, the interview only took 10 minutes or less! The officer went straight to point to verify all the information on the N-400. Before starting I had to swear to tell the truth, then she asked for green card, passport and DL. That was it! I had a loads of documents with me and she didn't ask for any of it. She asked me about taxes (if I filed or owe) and I said yes and no, respectively. She asked about criminal history, terrorist activity, and member of communist party and I replied no to all. She asked if "I loved the USA"..haha..I thought this question was funny. I answered "Yep, I sure do". She asked me if I used any other name..Pretty much we went over the N-400 line by line.

Then she asked me to read "Where is the Whitehouse?" and I had to write the answer "The Whitehouse is in Washington D.C." Then she gave me the civics test, I only remember these questions: Who vetoes bills? What is the capital of NJ? Who did we fight in WWII? What is the law of the land? I answered all correctly and that was it! No contention, no problems, VERY fast and painless! I had oath 2 hrs later and I was out of the there.

The process is very simple, don't stress over it, especially if your application is straightforward and you have nothing to hide. All the best to you all and God Bless the Good ole USofA.

Hi Friends,
I have mailed my N-400 on 6/16/10 and was finger-printed on 8/02/10. I received (CFR) yellow letter dated 8/19 on 8/23/10. I have not posted my timeline on this forum yet but I am a registered user desi9999. Can someone who has filed N-400 in June 2010 (from DO-Newark) share his/her experiences so that I can have some idea about mine?
Thanks,
desi9999
DO-Newark

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright Friends,

Permanent Resident since 9/12/05

Day 0 (06/16/10): N-400 Mailed to Lewisville, TX
Day 2 (06/18/10): Delivered per USPS tracking
Day 8 (06/24/10): Check Cashed
Day 10 (06/26/10): Rec'd NOA I-797C dated 6/21/10
Day 22 (07/08/10): Rec'd Request for Evidence thru email
Day 21 (07/13/10): Rec'd FP Letter dated 7/07/10
Day 47 (08/02/10): FP Done
Day 68 (08/23/10): Rec'd CRF-Yellow Letter dated 8/19/10
Day xx (xx/xx/10): Transferred to local office
Day xx (xx/xx/10): IL received
Day xx (xx/xx/10): Interview and Oath

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guyfromusa,
I am exactly sailing in the same boat. I have filed N-400 on 6/16/10 and did finger printing on 8/02/10. Did you or anybody who filed in June 2010 (from DO-Newark) get Interview letter? Please share.
Thanks,
desi9999

Posting for the first time on this forum. Here is my story till date

xx/xx/10: YL received

It's almost a month now since FP. No change in the status message which still states about the RFE for FP. Now, is this yellow letter mailed out to all applicants. I see some applicants directly receiving the interview letter. How long does it take to receive the YL after FP ?

I filed 6/17/2010 and did my FP on 8/5/2010 but still didn't recieve anything else !! Newark too

Hi guyfromusa,
I am exactly sailing in the same boat. I have filed N-400 on 6/16/10 and did finger printing on 8/02/10. Did you or anybody who filed in June 2010 (from DO-Newark) get Interview letter? Please share.
Thanks,
desi9999

I too have a priority date of June 18th, got FP on 2nd August in the New Jersey office, but have not received any CRF-Yellow Letter. Are there people who just directly receive the interview letter without the Yellow letter. What does the yellow letter signify?

I too have a priority date of June 18th, got FP on 2nd August in the New Jersey office, but have not received any CRF-Yellow Letter. Are there people who just directly receive the interview letter without the Yellow letter. What does the yellow letter signify?

Hi ppobox74,
I know lot of people who did not get any yellow letter (CFR) and got interview letter directly. Looking at many cases, it does not signify much. They usually send out yellow letter when they are satisfied with documentation supporting the application and again IO can ask you for any supporting document at the interview even if you have received a yellow letter saying "your case file review is complete".
Please update as soon as you get your interview letter.

Got my YL today last fri. States to bring in driver's license for interview

09/03/10: YL received

hello desi9999, I just got the YL last fri 9/3. No interview letter yet. No change in LUD or message which means case isn't sent to local office yet.

09/03/10: YL received