Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Hi Folks,
I would be unfair if I just leave this forum after my citizenship approval. This forum has been very helpful through out my GC and citizenship process. I sincerely thank Rajiv S.Khanna for providing such a wonderful forum for all immigrants and potential immigrants.

Here is my experience.

My appointment was at 1:30 PM Yesterday (i.e. 12/16/2009). I reached Newark office at 12:50 PM, parked my car in "Public Parking" (FYI, parking fee is $12 if it is more than 1 hour and until 10 PM) which is right across the street from Newark DO office, went through security checks, went upto 15th floor, showed my appointment letter to the security person and the security person directed me to window 1 in room 1512. I gave my appointment letter to the lady at that window. She asked me to wait until my name is called.

There were around 100 people (some of them are family members, not applicants). After little bit of wait time, My name is called at around 2:40 PM and asked me to go to door 1. Officer showed up at door 1 and asked me to follow him, I followed him to his office. He asked me to stand up and raise my hand and asked me to say that I will tell the truth.

After that he asked me for my passport, GC and my DL, I gave him all those. He then checked my travel dates in my passport and then went through my N-400 application. He asked the following
1. My date of birth
2. Married or Single
3. Is my wife permanent resident or a citizen (My wife is a PR)
4. How many times I am married
5. How many times my wife is married
6. Verified GC approval date
7. How Many kids do I have
8. Are there any trips more than 6 months in last five years
etc

He then went through all the Yes/No questions of the N-400 application. Even though I have two traffic tickets, I selected "No" answer to the question "Have you every been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?". He asked me whether I am arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer, I said "No". I didn't mention about my traffice tickets. He then asked me to sign on the N-400 application form.

He then asked me to read
When is columbus day?
and asked me to write
Columbus day is in October.

He then moved on to the civic questions, he asked me the following civic questions

1. What is one right or freedom from the first amendment?
2. What did the declaration of indenpendence do?
3. Name one branch or part of the government?
4. Who makes federal laws?
5. We elect Senetor for how many years?
6. If both the President and Vice-President no longer serve, Who becomes President?

He then said "Congratulations you have passed the test". He then gave me a paper saying that I am passed and asked me to wait outside until my name is called.

I waited for about 15 minutes, my name is then called and asked me to come to window 8. I went to that window, they took my signature on the citizenship certificate and asked me to wait for the oath.

They then called me to around 4:15 PM and asked all of us in the room to follow a lady. We went to the oath room and took the oath. We were then given the citizenship certificate.

Some of the members in this form who passed the exam mentioned that we shouldn't feel nervous, it is just matter of checking what is on N-400 application form and the civics test. that made me feel at ease during my interview process. I suggest the same to the guys who are going to appear for interview test. If there is nothing unusual, you need not worry about a thing.

Good luck.......

Congratulations!!!!

no of days absence

Hi,

At interview, they ask u about every absence longer than 6 mths, right? That is, after applying for the N400?

I do have an absence of 9-10 mths. Not for work but for some personal reasons. Do people like that pass the interview? If I have proof of the reasons (for eg, medical), is that good enough?
I'm still in India and will probably travel back next week, so the first hurdle is to get past immigration at the airport:).

Thanks
J Rao

Hi,

At interview, they ask u about every absence longer than 6 mths, right? That is, after applying for the N400?

I do have an absence of 9-10 mths. Not for work but for some personal reasons. Do people like that pass the interview? If I have proof of the reasons (for eg, medical), is that good enough?
I'm still in India and will probably travel back next week, so the first hurdle is to get past immigration at the airport:).

Thanks
J Rao

Hi jrao124

Just to let you know, my father (GC Holder) went out of US for 8 months and then upon his entry, the officer was not happy with this and also a notation was made to reflect the length of stay (8 months) in the passport.
This was in April 2007

May Be/may Not Be you will face the same situation.

Thanks for your response. I too had a problem when I returned after a 5 mth absence the last time.

What was the problem? What did officer ask? What reply you gave?
Did officer at POE write some info in Computer after officer swiped the GC or did he wrote some info on your passport or send you to secondary inspection?

he grilled me as to why I went away for so long. some of my answers did not satisfy him and he was quite harsh actually. He did not note anything on the passport and did not send me for secondary inspection but he was quite rotten about it.

09/25/2009: N-400 application sent
09/30/2009: RD (Lewisville TX)
10/01/2009: ND/PD
10/01/2009: Check cashed
10/06/2009: Notice received
10/07/2009: Status Changed to RFE
10/28/2009: FP notice date
10/13/2009: FP notice received
10/28/2009: FP Done
1/20/2010: Interview date
**/**/***: Oath completed

Thought I share this with you guys.. I have couple of traffic tickets that I mentioned on my N400. I thought it is a good idea to get driver abstract just in case. All off my tickets are out of state like NY, CA, WV . The NY ticket made it to my driver abstract with 2 points. Then to my surprise I saw one more ‘ghost’ violation from NY few days after the original one with another 2 points. I called the DMV and said I don’t have that tickets and they said, it came electronically from NY so I need to all the NY DMV. When I called the NY DMV, they don’t have any record of such ticket. So now I am working with NJ and NY DMV to solve this issue. You never know what surprises will line on your immigration journey 

Hi anonymous1979,
Did your online status change to interview ?

Did you receive Yellow letter checklist ?

Did your I485 LUD change recently ?

Your response to the questions are appreciated. :D

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,
Thanks everyone for your support and posting experiences on this post. I got my citizenship and Oath completed today at Newark DO.

Here is my experience.

My appointment was at 8 AM today (i.e. 12/22/2009). I reached Newark office at 7:30AM, parked my car in "Public Parking" (FYI, parking fee is $14 for full day) which is on the Broad st next to Newark DO office, went through security check, went up to 15th floor, showed my appointment letter to the security person and the security person directed me to window 1 in room 1512. I gave my appointment letter to the lady at that window. She asked me to wait until my name is called. They called my name send me on 14th floor due to high volume on 15th floor so 14th floor team was helping them so they are sending random people to 14th floor, went to 14th floor smaller than 15th floor had only 6 people before me and somehow I was called around 10:30 am and was out by 10:40 --- anyway people came after me was going in….but anyway I had pass my interview and was hoping to get 11am Oath but have to wait until 2:30 for the next Oath time.

IO asked me to raise my hands and promise I will tell the truth.
Asked all Yes No Q from N 400 form
Ask me to write : Abraham Lincoln was president.
Reading : Abraham Lincoln was our president.
Civic : Asked only 5 Questions and she said you know well(I did all 100 thoroughly)
Sign and Print your name and asked me to go on 15th floor for Oath.

Was out around 2:45 after Oath and had my citizenship certificate in hand.

So once again thanks who had contributed and who will contribute in future to this forum…many many thanks!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Hi anonymous1979,
Did your online status change to interview ?

Did you receive Yellow letter checklist ?

Did your I485 LUD change recently ?

Your response to the questions are appreciated. :D

Thanks

The status changed to "Standard Interview" on 12/22, No yellow letter, not sure what you mean by I485 LUD

DO, Newark. Employment based on 5 year.
My appointment was 1-20PM. Reached Newark office 1PM. went through security and then went to floor 15 and security officers informed to give interview notice at window 1.presented the interview letter at window 1. My spouse was with me she had the interview 1.45PM. Both gave the interview letter at window 1. About 70-75 people were sitting or waiting.
I was called for interview about 1-35 and went to door 1. Young lady officer was at door and I followed her to her office. She made me to tell the truth and then asked for GC, DL and did not ask for passport. She first checked the information on N400 and asked YES/NO questions. Then she asked 6 questions and made me write a sentence.
Questions asked:
What is the capital of your state?
What is the supreme law of the land?
What is an amendment?
What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
Who did the United States fight in World War II?

She gave me paper ticked I passed the test and made me sign on photograph. Signature need to be same as on form N400. I was out in 5 minutes. No question about employment, no tax paper asked. I had 3 traffic violations in 1998, 1999, 2000 all were under $100 and I had marked YES on the N400. I did not receive any yellow letter. I had the court certified dispositions and the officer did not ask anything regarding Traffic tickets or court certified dispositions.

My spouse was called 1.55 at door 1. Her interview was conducted by different officer. She was asked for DL, passport and GC. Officer verified information on N400 asked Yes/No questions. Give her sentence to read and write. She did not work for 5 years and no question was asked. officer asked 6 questions and she was asked to sign on photograph. She was also asked to sign her normal signature. Got approved and she was out in 15 minutes.
She was asked 6 questions:
What is the supreme law of the land?
How many amendments to the constitution?
Who is the Vice President?
What is the capital of New Jersey?
How many years do we elect the Senators for?
How many members in the house?

The officers at Newark DO are nice.
At 4.10 PM lady announced for the oath and to follow her went to hall left side of 15 th floor took the oath and naturalizations certificates. I took about 20 minutes. The Newark District officer informed that this is the last oath in 2009.

Thanks for the forum for the help and guidance. I will reply to any questions if anybody has concerns.

------------------
DO: Newark, NJ
09/12/2009: N-400 application sent((Lewisville TX))
09/22/2009: FP notice date
10/01/2009: FP notice received
10/13/2009: FP Done
11/16/2009 : Online update"Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled."
No Yellow letter recieved.
11/20/2009: Interview Notice received
12/22/2009: Interview date
12/22/2009: Citizenship/Oath completed

Thanks for the help from the forum. I passed my US citizenship Interview.

DO: Newark, NJ
12 September2009: N400 Mailed to TSC (priority mail)
14 September 2009: N400 Recd
18 September 2009: Check Cashed
17 September 2009: NOA Date
17 September 2009: PD
21 September: NOA received
29 September: Recd FP notice
13 October: FP Done
14 November: online status changed" Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled."
November 20: received Interview letter
December 22: Interview and oath (passed)

Good Luck to all!!

The officers at Newark DO are nice.
At 4.10 PM lady announced for the oath and to follow her went to hall left side of 15 th floor took the oath and naturalizations certificates. I took about 20 minutes. The Newark District officer informed that this is the last oath in 2009.

Thanks for the forum for the help and guidance. I will reply to any questions if anybody has concerns.

Saathia, Newark have same day oaths? ...Can't be the last oath of 2009.