08/27/2009 : Check Cleared
08/31/2009 : NOA Received

__/__/____ : FP Notice Received
__/__/____ : FP Notice Date
__/__/____ : Interview Letter Received
__/__/____ : Interview Date
__/__/____ : Oath

Follow-up question

Yellow letter is an interview check list, not an RFE. Mine asked to bring my driver's license.

Thanks for the clarification.
I have noticed in this forum that that people were requested state issued identification or driver's license. While I have been a resident of NY for the last 4 years, I still hold on to my CA driver's license (where I lived there before I came to NY). I don't hold any NY State ID.

I do have the rental lease, utility bills and tax filings that I have been in NY. Not having a state issued (NY) ID does it have a problem?

Thanks for the clarification.
I have noticed in this forum that that people were requested state issued identification or driver's license. While I have been a resident of NY for the last 4 years, I still hold on to my CA driver's license (where I lived there before I came to NY). I don't hold any NY State ID.

I do have the rental lease, utility bills and tax filings that I have been in NY. Not having a state issued (NY) ID does it have a problem?

I do not know how importart DL is for the citizenship process. The IL I got mentions that I take the passport, gc, IL & any other documents used for entry (which I interpreted as H1, F1 etc). The DL is not even mentioned on the letter.

I think you should be fine with CA DL, but may be after 4 years of leaving CA, it may be time to get a local DL :)

Later
Another_dude

I do not know how importart DL is for the citizenship process. The IL I got mentions that I take the passport, gc, IL & any other documents used for entry (which I interpreted as H1, F1 etc). The DL is not even mentioned on the letter.

I think you should be fine with CA DL, but may be after 4 years of leaving CA, it may be time to get a local DL :)

Later
Another_dude

Thanks a lot for your explanation. I had purged my H1 and F1 documents long time ago. I hope my passport, gc and DL should be suffice.

Best regards,

Thanks a lot for your explanation. I had purged my H1 and F1 documents long time ago. I hope my passport, gc and DL should be suffice.

Best regards,

The document list on the IL is open ended. Interestingly, there is a line in bold which states "Please attend this interview even if you believe you dont have all the necessary documents". :)

So you dont know what documents they are referring to and what you dont have.

regarding my experience,

I applied for Naturalization on Sep 2008 and I moved to new jersey from new york after i did my fingerprint in ny. And i received the interview date for april 2009. They asked me to bring my driver license on the yellow paper. I changed my driver licence to nj licence on january 2009.

my lawyer adviced to me that its better transfer the file to nj instead of new york because i moved to new jersey. Otherwise they may denial my case or transfer to nj he said. After that we request transfer for my file and insteadof april 2009, i received the interview date september 1st at newark.

I recommend you to change your licence to a nj one in order to prevent any unexpected situation. You dont need to transfer your file and just change it at any motor vehicle and be the the safe side. because DL is a proof of where u reside.

That was my case,

The document list on the IL is open ended. Interestingly, there is a line in bold which states "Please attend this interview even if you believe you dont have all the necessary documents". :)

So you dont know what documents they are referring to and what you dont have.

regarding my experience,

I applied for Naturalization on Sep 2008 and I moved to new jersey from new york after i did my fingerprint in ny. And i received the interview date for april 2009. They asked me to bring my driver license on the yellow paper. I changed my driver licence to nj licence on january 2009.

my lawyer adviced to me that its better transfer the file to nj instead of new york because i moved to new jersey. Otherwise they may denial my case or transfer to nj he said. After that we request transfer for my file and insteadof april 2009, i received the interview date september 1st at newark.

I recommend you to change your licence to a nj one in order to prevent any unexpected situation. You dont need to transfer your file and just change it at any motor vehicle and be the the safe side. because DL is a proof of where u reside.

That was my case,

Finally am a citizen,

Today sep 1st was my appointment date. I went there 12:30 for the 1 o'clock appointment. After 1 hour 45 minutes they called my name. I went in and the lady was really nice. She asked me the questions about my past like have you been in crime, etc....

Asked me the civic test questions, writng and reading. She reviewed my n400 file and the only difference was i married after i filed. She requested my marriage licence and i gave to her a copy of it.

Than she said congruglations, you passed and please seat outside and wait your name to be called. I went outside and they called my name after 30 min. After that I attended 4:00 oclock Oath ceremony and I got my certificate. I didn't apply for US passport because they ere closing and I prefered to apply from a post office. I was done by 4:30 and now proud to be a citizen.

My advices are;

1- bring your tax returns,

2- study the civic test,

3- don't bring bunch of papers to them and they will be curious about the papers in your file and your interview can take longer and cause another appointment.

4- don't mark your car to the meter I got a sweeper ticket :) Public parking was 10 $ something.

5- Don't worry for anything and don't panic it's for only 7-9 minutes interview and not and of your life.

Good luck to everyone and please read the peoples experience not the peoples advice(!!!).

Thanks for this forum and the poeople who shares their infos with us.

N-400 applied for self & spouse on August 22, 09 (11/20/2004 minus 90days)

Here are my deatils:
DO: Newark, NJ (probably)
08/22/2009: N400 Fedexed to Lewisville, TX
08/24/2009: N400 received by USCIS
08/24/2009: Reciept Date/Priority Date
08/26/2009: Checks cleared
08/26/2009: Notice Date
08/31/2009: NOA arrived
09/05/2009: Online status & emails on RFE (FP?) notice mailed on 09/03/2009
09/08/2009: FP Notices dated 09/04/09 received Scheduled for 09/18/09
09/09/2009: Walk-in FPs done at Elizabeth

Last edited by a moderator:
ongoing N-400 Newark timeline

DO: Newark, NJ
07/00/09: N-400 mailed Lewisville Texas
07/27/09: Priority Date/Receipt Date
07/27/09: Notice Date
07/31/09: Check cashed
08/03/09: NOA letter received (dated 07/28/09)
08/10/09: FP notice received (dated 08/06/09)
08/20/09: FP Appointment
08/27/09: FP Appointment Elizabeth, NJ (walk-in)
xx/xx/xx: CFR Notice / Yellow paper
xx/xx/xx: IL
xx/xx/xx: ID

Last edited by a moderator:
Public Parking and other Questions regarding interviews at Newark DO

Folks,

I have an interview scheduled on Sep 10, 2009. A few questions

1. Where is the nearest public parking?
2. If I have to take NJ transit from Metro Park - how long is the commute
3. Is the Oath also held on the same day?
4. Does one apply for the passport at the oath ceremony?
5. Where I can have some food in between the interview and the oath ceremony

Thanks for all your help

Folks,

I have an interview scheduled on Sep 10, 2009. A few questions

1. Where is the nearest public parking?
2. If I have to take NJ transit from Metro Park - how long is the commute
3. Is the Oath also held on the same day?
4. Does one apply for the passport at the oath ceremony?
5. Where I can have some food in between the interview and the oath ceremony

Thanks for all your help
Oath is on same day.
You cannot apply for passport at the Oath ceremony. However, they do give out passport application. There is post office right outside the building - literally across the street from the entrance to the fed building. Ask someone outside so you dont miss it.
There is cafeteria in the building. Ask security at the Interview/Oath floor and they will direct you.

What is:

OCI and OCI scanned?

Thanks!

OCI is Overseas Citizenship of India but actually it is life time visa and NOT citizenship.
If one is eligible for OCI and send his/her application for OCI to Indian consulate/ Indian embassy then that application goes to New Delhi. Once the ministry gets the application they scan the documents and online status is in steps:
OCI application received.
Documents Scanned
Documents printed
Granted
Documents dispatched (to Indian consulate…)
Documents received at (Indian consulate….) once you see the documents received at consulate then one can send passport for OCI to Consulate or can go directly to Indian Consulate with US passport and Indian passport. They will stamp U visa in passport and will cancel Indian passport and you will also get OCI booklet. You can visit any Indian consulate website and can read about OCI process.