Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

New American Citizen

I passed my interview and took the oath last Thursday, April 23rd. Here’s my experience.

My interview appointment was for 8:20 AM, so I got to Newark around 7:45, parked in the lot across the street (Court Street). They take credit cards and it cost $12 for the day. They didn’t start letting people into the building until right before 8 AM. The security guards were as stressed out and rude as usual (I’d hate to see what they’re like at the end of the day!).

I would say I was the 15th person in the door, which I thought was good news. Unfortunately I made the mistake of trying to send out a few emails before I had to shut my phone off going into the waiting room, and I think that resulted in me getting bumped. I wasn’t called until 9:30ish.

My interview was generally easy. Unfriendly but polite. I was basically asked most of the questions in the application. I had to fill in two additional overseas trips that I had made since I applied. I had brought along my entire file, including a copy of my application and originals of birth/marriage certificates etc., but I think the only thing they looked at was my passport. I was asked to read aloud and write a simple sentence, and I was asked 6 quiz questions (I was not given the choice of old or new test but these may be from both): 1. What do the 13 stripes on the flag represent? What Ocean is on the west coast of the USA? What happened on September 11th 2001? What is the rule of law? What is the name of the National Anthem? How many US Senators are there? I was given a piece of paper to say I passed and another to notify me of the Oath Ceremony, which I was told was at 11 AM.

Back to the waiting room, I sat, and sat, and sat, as name after name was called out. Those being called were congratulated and sent to another room for the Oath Ceremony. As 11 AM approached names were being called more frequently, but I was not called until 11:05 so I missed the early ceremony. Lesson – get there as early as you are allowed and go straight to the window with your interview notice. I was told to come back at 1:30 PM for a 2 PM ceremony, so I went for a walk to the Gateway Center to get some lunch.

The Oath Ceremony was held in a special room, and was a very dignified event, a very different feel to all my trips to the INS over the years. They played a video from the Ellis Island Museum, then we all took the oath. Then, they tried to get everyone to celebrate by singing along to God Bless the USA. Some did, but I think most of us were just too tired.

Overall the experience was positive and I am proud to be an American. I applied for my passport on Saturday at my local Post Office (They give you an application with your Certificate of Naturalization). I probably won’t be checking into this forum again, but I have to say it is very well organized and has been very useful over the years. Thank you all for your information, advice, and support.

Good Luck to Everyone!

Eire

SSN update after oath ceremony

I heard that we have to update our Social Security Number after citizenship oath ceremony. SSN office is on the same USCIS building.....i dont know what floor. does anybody did that ?? plz let me know as our inteview is on April 30th

thanks
Punjabi1

I have two traffic tickets from 2003, 2004 both less than 500 fine and no points. I got court disposition but I dont have proof of payment. Is court disposition by itself enough for the interview or do I have to take the proof of payment. What can be substituted if proof of payment cannot be located ?

I heard that we have to update our Social Security Number after citizenship oath ceremony. SSN office is on the same USCIS building.....i dont know what floor. does anybody did that ?? plz let me know as our inteview is on April 30th

thanks
Punjabi1

All The Best Punjabi1 for your Interview...

Regards,
Freenation.

Interview tomorrow 4/29

I will have interview tomorrow at Newark at 9:30 AM and I will let you know of the result and the experience . I hope it is easier.:)

I have two traffic tickets from 2003, 2004 both less than 500 fine and no points. I got court disposition but I dont have proof of payment. Is court disposition by itself enough for the interview or do I have to take the proof of payment. What can be substituted if proof of payment cannot be located ?

Your driving record from the DMV or a web printout confirming your payment is fine.

Interview Done for me!

Hello Everyone:

I'm done with my interview yesterday. I was scheduled at 9 AM arrived at 8:15 dropped my IL and was asked to remove the yellow paper (they don't need it ).
Called in at 8:20 and the IO only asked for my driver's license. He is a good guy--Anglo American, he's name is Gold. My Qs are so easy even a caveman can do it. (Remember the GEICO commercial.) Was given congratulation paper and asked to wait for the 11 AM oath.
My wife was scheduled at 9 AM also and she wasn't called until 10:10 and she
had a terrible inquisitive IO. It went out well for her just the same.
The agony and the pain is really the waiting, waiting, waiting.
I decided not to swear in at 11 Am schedule instead I waited for my wife so we can swear in at the same time in the afternoon supposedly schedule at 1:30 PM. Guess what ? The 130 PM became 3PM and you will really get bored to death. My best advise bring something to read or try if they will let you use your laptop. No cellphone as the security guards are so rude and telling everyone that if you use cellphone you will be pull out and re-schedule so everybody is so quiet!
I'm finally a US citizen !!!!!

01/13/2009 -- NOA Received
01/29/2009—Notice date for FP
02/02/2009 -- FP Letter Received
02/19/2009 -- FP Appointment
02/05/2009 -- FP Completed.14 days earlier since we accompany our daughter for her GC replacement since she had reached the age of 14. I requested ASC if they can accommodate us since we're there anyway and they did!
00/00/2009 -- IL Received
04/29/2009 – Interview Date
04/29/2009 : Oath

Thanks Freenation, thomas 5, bobsmyth and others on the forum for your wishes and help. I had my interview this morning. Went really smooth. My Appt was for 8:40 AM. I got to Mt Laurel by 8 AM..I got called in by 8:30 AM. The officer was a really nice person, asked me for my passports, green card etc.(he asked me for my SS card and birth cert..I had my SS but nor birth cert, but he found a copy in his files very quickly so no issues: so my advise to others is take your SS card and brith certificate with you to the interview). Then asked me to write one sentence (extremely simple) and read one. After that he asked me six questions (got them all right): 1) Who is the speaker of house? 2) What are the first 10 amendments called? 3) who was here before Europeans? 4) when was declaration of independence signed? 5) longest river in US? and 6) how many years is a pesident elected for?. Then he went through the good moral character questions again. (I had mentioned in my application form that I had speeding tickets from 8-10 years ago). He asked if I paid all fines (I had proof with me but he did not ask for it). That was basically it..he said I can come back at 3 PM for my oath cermony. So overall great...Hopefully by 4 PM I wil be a proud American :). will post again later today with my oath experience

Congratulations noginoypi, ASWNewark

Question to all who got the Citizenship and Oath at Newark:
After passing the interview and you were told to wait for Oath, Is it possible to come out of the building and go back for scheduled Oath time? What is the exact steps after you were told by IO that your Citizenship is approved - do they give Oath letter? or simply a verbal communication about time? do you have to wait inside for any further signatures/steps before your scheduled Oath time?

Thanks...

Congratulations noginoypi, ASWNewark

Question to all who got the Citizenship and Oath at Newark:
After passing the interview and you were told to wait for Oath, Is it possible to come out of the building and go back for scheduled Oath time? What is the exact steps after you were told by IO that your Citizenship is approved - do they give Oath letter? or simply a verbal communication about time? do you have to wait inside for any further signatures/steps before your scheduled Oath time?

Thanks...

Hey,

Did you check with FBI or any other agency to find out if they sent back the fingerprint results to USCIS? Do you have any number I can call?

Thanks.

noginoypi and ASWNewark,

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BOTH OF YOU!!! I FEEL PROUD! Hopefully all goes well for me as well and I will join you next monday! May 11th! :)

You can call FBI @ 304-625-5590 / 304-625-2406 to find out if they have sent the status back to USCIS or not...this is just for FP Check no other background /name checks and they wouldn't tell you if your FP were cleared or not!

If your status is not available online then you may call USCIS number and select option 1-2-3 and tell them that you can't see any status online, they may transfer to 2nd level and they can tell you more about the case if it is in queue/interview scheduled etc., - try your luck...sometimes first level will not transfer and say you have received your FP notice so your case is in shape etc.,

Hey,

Did you check with FBI or any other agency to find out if they sent back the fingerprint results to USCIS? Do you have any number I can call?

Thanks.

You can call FBI @ 304-625-5590 / 304-625-2406 to find out if they have sent the status back to USCIS or not...this is just for FP Check no other background /name checks and they wouldn't tell you if your FP were cleared or not!

If your status is not available online then you may call USCIS number and select option 1-2-3 and tell them that you can't see any status online, they may transfer to 2nd level and they can tell you more about the case if it is in queue/interview scheduled etc., - try your luck...sometimes first level will not transfer and say you have received your FP notice so your case is in shape etc.,

Thanks. I called the FBI and they said it was processed and sent the same day. Indeed they would not give any further info. This was the same when we went through our GC.

My case status is available online, but it is still showing as applicatio recieved and processing. I guess it is not updated regularly...... Did you case status change after fingerprinting?

Got traffic ticket

Yesterday I got a traffic ticket becoz the driver side rear brake light was not working. No points or insuranance surcharge. I actually just crossed an amber and the cop was right behind me, but he stopped me for the brake lights and before he let me go, mentioned about my jumping the light and to be careful.

I am debating whether to contest or just pay the $54 fine. Sounds a bit overkill to me. Could have let me off with a warning. Except for 3 parking tickets in 13 years, I have nothing on record.

Now I know, this will not have much impact on my impending naturalization interview, but what proof should I get that the ticket was taken care of one way or the other?

Yesterday I got a traffic ticket becoz the driver side rear brake light was not working. No points or insuranance surcharge. I actually just crossed an amber and the cop was right behind me, but he stopped me for the brake lights and before he let me go, mentioned about my jumping the light and to be careful.

I am debating whether to contest or just pay the $54 fine. Sounds a bit overkill to me. Could have let me off with a warning. Except for 3 parking tickets in 13 years, I have nothing on record.

Now I know, this will not have much impact on my impending naturalization interview, but what proof should I get that the ticket was taken care of one way or the other?

Go to court and show them that you have since got light repaired. The DA may be willing to drop charges and only have you pay court costs.
Although not required for such a minor ticket, you can obtain proof of payment and bring it to interview.

Completed my oath..Very nice ceremony (half hour). Finally a Citizen:) (still has not sunk in). Got my certificate of naturilization. Will take that to Post Office tomorrow to apply for passport.

Shopfree4pc: Mine was Mt.Laurel..but imagine Newark is any different. I left after my Interview and went back only for my oath. They did give me a oath letter at the end of the interview, which I took with me. Of course, during oath they took away the green card..

Thanks again everyone..