Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Congrats and ALL THE BEST to thomas 5, jsingh31, absrao,ASWNewark ...

Yesterday (Saturday 28th March) myself and my wife got the interview letters.
My interview is on 26th May at 10:20 AM. My wife's interview on the same day at 10:00 AM.
absrao if everything goes well we will meet for the evening oath ceremony.

I have couple of questions:
1) My wife has opted for the name change in N400 form. If she passes the interview will she be consider for the same day oath ceremony or she needs to wait?
2) If she needs to wait for the oath ceremony then can she request the officer to uncheck (opt out) the name change request and opt for the same day oath?
Is it advisable and no harm or consider as negative point?

I really appreciate everyone for your guidance and thanks a lot for your support.

Freenation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all!
Thanks for the wishes!

ASWNewark, My Interview is at Newark.

To everybody else, My interview is scheduled for 1:20 P.M and i have the same concern as absrao......i really HOPE that i will have my oath the same day.......cause from the looks of it (and my understanding from reading this forum for a month).........with a 1:20 appointment.......i see no way of being calling by an IO before 3:20.............now the question is........how much earlier can i show up??!

HEY SAI!
what time was ur appointment
Appointment was scheduled at 2 p.m, but because of the delay I had my interview at 2:45 p.m. Relax guys, as I said, they will wait for eveyone to finish before starting the oath ceremony. On a positive note, having your interview later is good, since the IO's have less time to complete the interview. They are always running late. Trick is to appear 'very calm' when you enter the room. Dress professionally and speak to the point only.
Good Luck to all.

Congrats Freenation. See ya there.

My interview is on 26th May at 10:20 AM. My wife's interview on the same day at 10:00 AM.

1) My wife has opted for the name change in N400 form. If she passes the interview will she be consider for the same day oath ceremony or she needs to wait?
2) If she needs to wait for the oath ceremony then can she request the officer to uncheck (opt out) the name change request and opt for the same day oath?

I really appreciate everyone for your guidance and thanks a lot for your support.

Freenation.

Is there only one Oath Ceremony per day? So if you have your interview at 9 AM, as I do, you have to wait until 5 PM for the OC? Ouch! I guess I'm hanging out in Newark for the day.

Received Interview Letter

Hi,

Couple of weeks ago I received Yellow Letter and I received my interview letter on Friday.

Yellow Letter:
Driver License
Certified copies of birth certificates for all minor children

Interview Letter:
Green Card
Any evidence of Selective Service Registration
Passport or other documents used in connection with any entries into the United States

I saw on earlier posts that Newark has same day oat. Is that only once day or multiple oat ceromonies? My appt is at 9:40AM

Thanks
CM

Freenation.

congrats Freenation. I have the same concern as your. Only both myself and my wife opted for a name change. Please update your interview experience and I am sure it will be a very positive and pleasant one.

No...the status is still the same....

"On Jan XX, 2009, we received this N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case....blah...blah..blah...."

I am hoping my IL comes today, as I am aligned with the time frame with Freenation. I have also requested a name change but would rather have my citizenship done same day rather than wait for the name change. Anyone else requested a name change and who has gone through the process?
02/09/09 :Notice Date.
02/13/09 :NOA Received ( I-797C)
02/18/09 :FP Notice Received
03/12/09 :FP Appointment (ELIZABETH NJ) Completed
xx/xx/09 :IL
xx/xx/09 :I&O Hopefully the same day

hey nick,
based on ur FP date......i have made the assumption that you should get your IL before friday. as a matter of fact. you should call USCIS and ask them to connect you to a second level officer....they will tell you if you already have been scheduled a date. it takes about 3 to 4 days to receive it in the mail.

Hi Nick -
To add to what thomas5 said, you should have your Interview around May 25/26 range. I am guessing this based on processing times and how my own and freenation InterviewDate was decided. All this assuming there arent any specific issues with the application in question.

The other aspect of this would be that I "should" be going to the Mt Laurel Office since I live in Mercer County. I believe it has a faster processing time than the Newark Office. I just want that letter telling me when it is.