Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

greyhairduetogc,

Congratulations!

Did the IO ask for any addtional documents (tax returns, birth certificate etc.)? I think Newark conducts two oath ceramonies daily, one at around 12:00pm, one at 3:00pm. What time will you take the oath?

Congr8s!!!

As you have mentioned earlier that you spoke to rep than called again & spoke to IO, Can you tell me how to get connected to IO? I am facing difficulty to get connected to IO. I called them & spoke with rep. Rep told me same thing to wait fr few months and if i don't hear anything than call back. She never told me exact status of my case. What did you say that connect you to IO ? Can you share your experience?

Thanks.

PD:09/08
FD:10/09
ID:??

Used the same trick as everyone(no receipt notice received yet)

greyhairduetogc,

Congratulations!

Did the IO ask for any addtional documents (tax returns, birth certificate etc.)? I think Newark conducts two oath ceramonies daily, one at around 12:00pm, one at 3:00pm. What time will you take the oath?

Thanks.

No, IO did not ask for any documents other than GC and Passport. She went over all the pages in the passport since in one of the trip I was out of the country for 4.5 months.

It was more of an informal QA session.
She was multitasking at times, asking questions, doing something on computer and going over paper work. Just couple of times she looked straight at me while expecting answers.

Over all the experience was very polite and professional.

They have 2 or 3 Oath ceremonies during the day depending on the number of people. They had one at 11.30.
Then we were asked to go for the 12.30 oath, which started at 1.45.
And I believe there were still more people who were being interviewed and they would be administered Oath later in the day.

Interview Experience:

I has my interview yesterday – everything went well, and am now an American citizen. I am posting my details in the hope that it will be helpful to folks; this board has been a great source of information and comfort to me as I went through this process, and I hope that this post helps to pay it forward, so to speak.

My interview was scheduled for 10.20 AM. Arrived at around 9.00 AM (has a friend drop me off as I was a bit under the weather). Was directed to the 15th floor, even thought the IL said Rm 1332. The dragon lady there wouldn’t let me in (the notice does request that folks not arrive more than 30 minutes early) but directed me to the 2nd floor cafeteria, and asked me to come back at 10.00 AM. Went back up at 9.50 AM, and dropped the IL off at Window 8. They give you two sheets – a blue sheet (N-400 Interview Preparation Notice) with instructions on what you will be asked about at the interview, such as changes in address, employment, etc – and an orange sheet that let’s you pick the test (old or redesigned) that you want to take.

The waiting game then began. Sometimes it was difficult to hear the names being called, so pay attention; also which door you are being directed to go to (there are three – door 1 is on the right, and doors 2 and 3 on the left hand side). It may also be important to stay put and not wander off; I could say a few cases of folks being called for interviews but no one showing up, with the IO showing visible annoyance (or when they went to the wrong door). They also call a number of folks to come up to one of the windows (but this for processing the naturalization certificate etc after the interview).

Based on the exhaustive list posted on this board, I went prepared with everything – copy of N-400, details of trips abroad (I have 26 totaling 269 days, almost all for business – there were only 4 personal trips to see my folks in India), employment letter, certified dispositions for three traffic tickets since 2000 (all minor – driving on HOV, overdue inspection, driving through red), birth certificate, federal tax transcripts for past 4 years, state tax returns for past 5 years (not transcripts), letter from Selective Services.

I was called for interview by a nice young officer around noon:eek:. The interview went by very quickly. Immediately after entering the office, I was asked to take an oath to tell the truth. I was asked for green card, all my passports, and the orange sheet. I gave the office 2 of my three passports, both relating to the time period post GC. I volunteered the 3rd passport that predated the GC, but the officer declined it. He did not look through any of them. I must note however that I submitted copies of all pages of my passports with the N-400 application, with an tabular index of the passport page numbers corresponding to each return to the US (for example page x of passport # xxxxx for trip ending xx/xx/xxxx) – I’d be happy to provide a template to any that are interested. Of the 26 trips, I had an entry stamp for all trips, except 1 – which I noted in the index, including the exit stamp page # instead. I was also prepared to show an itinerary and the mileage posting on my frequent flyer mileage account for this “missing” date, if I was asked (I had submitted the boarding cards as part of my expense report, and my company threw them away!). He asked what my longest trip was – I stammered about 30 days – since I could not remember exactly (I actually had a business trip of 36 days as my longest, and a 30-day personal trip) – and said it was a personal trip. I also explained that most of my trips for business, and he concurred (“they are all short trips”). I did have a letter from my current and previous employer detailing the business nature of the trips, but the officer seemed satisfied, so I did not provide them to him.

The officer asked why I wanted to become a citizen – I answered that I wanted to get the benefits of citizenship, for e.g., to vote. He asked “just to vote”, and I then went on the say that I wanted to become a citizen because the US is the greatest country in the world (he seemed to like that answer). :D

He then started going over the N-400; I could see the consolidated A-file in front of him (it was quite thick – may be 4 inches – but I had been here a while, F-1, H-B, AOS (EB1 both EA and OR) etc). Then he verified basic information – full name, address, phone, current employment, when did become PR. He asked if I was sponsored by my current employer; I said no and referred to one of my previous employers that I had listed in the employment history section, even though it was outside the 5-year window. I was fully prepared to explain about AC21 and my EB1-EA (though my GC was approved on the OR), but he seemed satisfied with just seeing the name listed in my employment history (I was with my sponsoring employer for 7 years, but left about 9 months into AOS and about 9 months before GC); so I let it go.

He confirmed that I was single, no children, and had no middle name. He just proceeded to ask some of the Part 10 questions at random – have you claimed to be citizen, do you owe taxes, are you a terrorist etc. Reviewed my organizations (all professional ones) and reviewed my list of traffic citations – asked if these were all minor traffic issues and confirmed that I was not arrested in any of the situations (he pantomimed being handcuffed when he asked the question). Proceeded with some more Part 10 questions at random. Did not ask about Selective Services (even though the IL mentioned it as evidences to bring, and I had a letter from them stating that I did not need to register). Asked me all of the Oath questions (34-39). Asked me to sign Part 13 and 14 with my full name (not my normal signature).

Then we did the test – he seemed surprised by my selection for the new redesigned test; I explained that I downloaded and reviewed what was available at the USCIS website (and that was the new test). All civic questions were fine (he stopped at 6 – national anthem, rule of law, ocean on west coast, what happened on 9/11, how old to be eligible to vote, why does the flag have 13 stripes); asked me to read a sentence (The people elect Congress) and then asked me to write the same.

Asked if I wanted to change my name (confirmed no middle name again). He printed out a form and asked to verify the information (name, date of birth etc). Gave me form N-652 with Box A marked, and the Oath ceremony notification (I was ecstatic – I was sure I was going to have the “multiple A file problem”). Instructed me to answer all questions no, and sign my full name. Took 2 photos (I have sent 4, two with glasses, and two without) and asked me to pick one set. I picked the one with glasses; he asked me sign my full name on the side of both photos without writing on the shirt part. Returned my passports and GC and wished me a good day. I was done in less than 10 minutes (it took me longer to type it up!). He walked me out the door, and told me it would be about ½ hour before I would be called.

I waited for another hour or so, fretting that I was going to miss the 1.30 oath ceremony (there are apparently at least 3, they were rounding up people when I was waiting for my interview at around 11.30 AM; mine was at 1.30 PM , and they mentioned one at 3.30 PM); and then was called to one of the windows at about 1.05 PM. Gave my oath ceremony notification letter and GC. Verified info on the naturalization certificates – you sign the B/W copy for their files and the color one is yours – again using the full name. Got the red citizenship book and was directed to the oath ceremony room with a very bossy “federal officer” ( I had seen her earlier evict a guy who was using a cell phone).

Oath ceremony began around 1.20 with a video. Then a short speech about procedures – no cell phone or I will evict you and reschedule for an oath ceremony, which could take 6 months, must repeat oath loudly and clearly (only those signed up for a modified oath are allowed to skip specific parts) – she did say that we could make copies of the certificate since we will have to send it out for passport, also don’t lose it, as it is $300 and 6-9 months to replace. Took oath (got all verklempt as they say, gobsmacked for those of you not familiar with SNL lingo) though the accent of the Supervisor was pretty thick which made it hard to hear everything clearly. Then the pledge, a welcome message from the President; another video with a song that we were asked to sing along (more verklemping on my part, something that caught me by surprise); then they handed out the naturalization certificate by name. Was out of there by 1.50 PM.

Walked back to Penn (route is well marked) and took the train back home. All in all, a not-so-bad day, only wrinke was I am coming down with a cold:(.

Applied for passport today (expedited). Will update with details.

Good luck to all.

Newark/VSC
Application mailed - 6/9/2008
Application received - 6/10/08 NOA says #days to expect for notification 365 days
Priority date - 6/10/2008
Check cashed - 6/17/2008
Notice date - 6/13/2008
Notice received - 6/18/2008
Fingerprint appt notice -6/19/2008
Fingerprint appt date - 7/15/2008
Case status disappeared online - 8/19/2008
Interview letter received - 8/21/2008
Interview scheduled - 10/16/2008
Oath Ceremony – 10/16/2008 :D:D:D:D
Passport Application – Mailed 10/17/2008

I got my citizenship today. It was a great experiance. Thanks guys for all the support and guidance. I went there around 10.15AM. The IO called me around 11.AM and goes through the interview process quickly. He asked me 15 questions and he had all the documents that I submitted in (madrass) 6 years ago. I was little bit surprised and he is a philly Fan and we talked a little bit regarding the phillys chances in the world series. He asked me whether i had any traffic tickets and why i checked no in in the
N400 other than that he had nod problems. He asked me whether I paid all my tickets and told me to stay away from trouble. As far as document concerned he asked my GC drivers License and social security card. Everything else went fine. I took the oath around 3.15PM and the whole process is over.

Application mailed – 8/01/08
Application received – 8/05/08
Priority date – 8/07/08
Fingerprint appt notice – 8/12/08
Fingerprint appt date - 9/05/08 in Philadelphia, PA
Fingerprint completed - 9/05/08
Interview letter received - 9/24/08
Interview scheduled - 10/17/08
Complete interview and oath 10/17/08

Total day ----75

I got my citizenship today. It was a great experiance. Thanks guys for all the support and guidance. I went there around 10.15AM. The IO called me around 11.AM and goes through the interview process quickly. He asked me 15 questions and he had all the documents that I submitted in (madrass) 6 years ago. I was little bit surprised and he is a philly Fan and we talked a little bit regarding the phillys chances in the world series. He asked me whether i had any traffic tickets and why i checked no in in the
N400 other than that he had nod problems. He asked me whether I paid all my tickets and told me to stay away from trouble. As far as document concerned he asked my GC drivers License and social security card. Everything else went fine. I took the oath around 3.15PM and the whole process is over.

Application mailed – 8/01/08
Application received – 8/05/08
Priority date – 8/07/08
Fingerprint appt notice – 8/12/08
Fingerprint appt date - 9/05/08 in Philadelphia, PA
Fingerprint completed - 9/05/08
Interview letter received - 9/24/08
Interview scheduled - 10/17/08
Complete interview and oath 10/17/08

Total day ----75

Congratulations!!!

Did you apply in Philly ? Is this timeframe for Philiy office? As you said earlier that IO asked you about traffice tkts.. I have couple of traffic tkts in past... DO you need to mention in interview as i was not arrested for that? I don't have any record of paying those traffic tkts. what do you mean by this "why i checked no in in the N400" ? I think there is no part in N400 where it ask about any traffic tkts ? Can you please clarify this?

Thanks for advace!

Congratulations!!!

Did you apply in Philly ? Is this timeframe for Philiy office? As you said earlier that IO asked you about traffice tkts.. I have couple of traffic tkts in past... DO you need to mention in interview as i was not arrested for that? I don't have any record of paying those traffic tkts. what do you mean by this "why i checked no in in the N400" ? I think there is no part in N400 where it ask about any traffic tkts ? Can you please clarify this?

Thanks for advace!

I applied at mount Laurel NJ. I did my fingerprinting at philly. If you were pulled over for traffic violation it is a citation. You have to notify that on the N400 questions that asks whether you were arested, cited, or detained. It doesnt matter whether it is cited or arrested you have to check yes and tell them you got traffic ticket. Thats the proper way, again this mistake is a minor one and most IOs ignore it. Make sure you tell the truth even if it is a citation.

I applied at mount Laurel NJ. I did my fingerprinting at philly. If you were pulled over for traffic violation it is a citation. You have to notify that on the N400 questions that asks whether you were arested, cited, or detained. It doesnt matter whether it is cited or arrested you have to check yes and tell them you got traffic ticket. Thats the proper way, again this mistake is a minor one and most IOs ignore it. Make sure you tell the truth even if it is a citation.

Thank you so much for your response!
You are really lucky to get your citizenship in very short time!

Sorry to buy you .. one more question.. Did you check no in N400 even though you had traffic ticket? What did you say in this case? I mean if you have checked no in N400 and you had traffic ticket and IO asks about this.

Thanks in advance!

FYI - USCIS posted new processing times yesterday. Newark times jumped by 6 days from Jan 3rd, 2008 to Jan 9th, 2008.

Old or New Naturalization test at Newark?

Completed my Interview successfully today. Lasted for 10 min. Same straight questions like everyone mentioned. However She did go over the entire application with me completely. Mentioned the employment changes and she noted it.

The forum was very helpful. Thanks.

I know that as per USCIS web site, anyone who has applied after Oct 1, 2008 will get new redesigned Naturalization test, irrespective of their interview date.

However applicants who has made there application before Oct 1, 2008 and has interview dates between Oct 1, 2008 and Oct 1, 2009, will get choice of either taking new test or Old test.
[It would be great to know, whether you were asked to choose which test you want to take?

Test Choice

As noted in my post regarding my interview experience, you are given an orange sheet that allows you to select the test (old or redesigned) when you give them the IL. You fill it out and give to the IO who then administers the test you have chosen.

Sorry to buy you .. one more question.. Did you check no in N400 even though you had traffic ticket? What did you say in this case? I mean if you have checked no in N400 and you had traffic ticket and IO asks about this.

Thanks in advance!

I checked NO and when asked about the ticket during the interview I said yes. Later on I have to fill up an other application for Oath and the IO oasked me to keep every thing same as it is on the citizenship paper.

I checked NO and when asked about the ticket during the interview I said yes. Later on I have to fill up an other application for Oath and the IO oasked me to keep every thing same as it is on the citizenship paper.

Thank you so much ! Can you tell me more about other application for Oath? what was it? just form as N400 or something different? & what do you mean by Citizenship Paper?

nime1,

Once the N-400 is approved, USCIS will automatically schedule an Oath Ceremony. There is no separate application for that.

Citizenship paper means "Naturalization Certificate". It proves your citizenship. You can only get that after the oath.

nime1,

Once the N-400 is approved, USCIS will automatically schedule an Oath Ceremony. There is no separate application for that.

Citizenship paper means "Naturalization Certificate". It proves your citizenship. You can only get that after the oath.

Hi Compaqdb,

Thank you for your reply. I was confused as he said that he had to fill up other application for Oath.

Best of luck for your interview!

Updated Timeline

Updating timeline

Newark/VSC
Application mailed - 6/9/2008
Application received - 6/10/08
Priority date - 6/10/2008
Check cashed - 6/17/2008
Notice date - 6/13/2008
Notice received - 6/18/2008
Fingerprint appt notice -6/19/2008
Fingerprint appt date - 7/15/2008
Case status disappeared online - 8/19/2008
Interview letter received - 8/21/2008
Interview scheduled - 10/16/2008
Oath Ceremony – 10/16/2008
Passport (Book and Card) Application – Mailed 10/17/2008 (expedited)
Passport (Book) Received - 10/22/2008

This forum has provide me with a lot if information, I want to thank everyone who has contribute. I sent my application 2 weeks ago, so I will start posting my time line.

Forgive my ignorance, the title of this thread is "Newark,NJ. time line". I am in Jersey City, I believe all NJ applies to the same immigration center, right ? So could I expect a similar time frame as the latest posts in this thread?

thank you

Application mailed - 10/09/08
Application received - 10/14/08
Priority date - no yet
Check cashed - 10/23/2008
Notice date -
Notice received -
Fingerprint appt notice -
Fingerprint appt date -
Interview letter received
Interview scheduled -
Oath Ceremony –