Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

when did you apply n got FP? what is your timeframe? You said you went to FP agency and theytold you that it was done on same day. I didn't get this. You went and asked agency personally where your FP was taken?

Application mailed – 8/01/08
Application received – 8/05/08
Priority date – 8/07/08
Fingerprint appt notice – 8/12/08
Fingerprint appt date - 9/05/08 in Philadelphia, PA
Fingerprint completed - 9/05/08
Interview letter received - 9/24/08
Interview scheduled - 10/17/08

Application mailed – 8/01/08
Application received – 8/05/08
Priority date – 8/07/08
Fingerprint appt notice – 8/12/08
Fingerprint appt date - 9/05/08 in Philadelphia, PA
Fingerprint completed - 9/05/08
Interview letter received - 9/24/08
Interview scheduled - 10/17/08

You are really lucky !! Your whole process took only 2.5 months. Best of Luck for interview.

One more question... It looks like you lived in PA, right ? Your timeline is not for Newark,NJ , is it correct?

Thanks for your input!

Got naturalized yesterday (09/24/08) at Newark NJ DO. The interview took less that 10 minutes, was a pleasant experience. IO asked 6 civics questions and asked me to write a simple sentence. Then she went over my application and asked some questions. When she asked if I was ever arrested I told her I was never arrested but had a couple of minor traffic tickets, and gave her the court disposition reports. I think it was not necessary, but just a CYA. The entire interview was professional and to the point.
Then I waited for an hour and a half before I signed the naturalization certificate and another couple of hours for the simple oath ceremony that lasted half hour.
The whole process was relaxed.

My advice to the applicants would be to take the process in your stride if there are no complications in your case, ie. no residency requirement issues or criminal records. However be prepared with the documents though you may never be asked for them. I also find that processing times have improved of late.

My thanks to the forum gurus who gave me a good perception about the process. Hope all of you get naturalized soon.

I haven't tried yet as I haven't got yet FP. I just got my Receipt Notice last week. Please see below my info.. if anybody try , Share your experience.

Mailed 09/04/08
check cased 09/08/08
Reciept Notice 09/16/08
PD 09/08/08
FD ????

Did you receive your FP notice yet? It's about time we should get our FP notices.

N-400 Timelines

Updated based on FP notice received today.

VSC Newark NJ DO
Mailed: 09/04/08
Received Date: 09/08/08
PD:09/08/2008
Check Cashed: 09/10/08
FP:10/09/2008

I also have FP on 10/9/08.

VSC Newark NJ DO
Check Cashed: 09/08/08

Updated based on FP notice received today.

VSC Newark NJ DO
Check Cashed: 09/10/08

Can someone share their FP experience? How long does it take? Are there long waiting queues? Mine is on a weekday.

Thanks -

Can someone share their FP experience? How long does it take? Are there long waiting queues? Mine is on a weekday.

Thanks -

I had my FP on a weekday too. Landed up about 15 minutes early. At the door, the security validates that you have your appointment letter and ID. You then join a line of people and fill up a form attached to a clipboard - basic information like name, age address of applicant etc. I had about 15 people ahead of me and line moved at a decent pace. I landed up on the front of the line in about 10-15 mins at which time a lady at the desk validated my letter (stamped it), my photo ID and GC. I was then given a number and asked to wait in this big room with several chairs. At the end of the room were 4-5 desks where USCIS folks were finger printing applicants. They call your number - sometimes 2-3 numbers together. You walk up, show your GC and letter, they finger print you and return your letter and GC and you are done.

The wait for me was about 30 mins and the actual FP was about 5-10 mins.

The entire process once you get to the building was about 50 to 60 minutes.

I had my FP on a weekday too. Landed up about 15 minutes early. At the door, the security validates that you have your appointment letter and ID. You then join a line of people and fill up a form attached to a clipboard - basic information like name, age address of applicant etc. I had about 15 people ahead of me and line moved at a decent pace. I landed up on the front of the line in about 10-15 mins at which time a lady at the desk validated my letter (stamped it), my photo ID and GC. I was then given a number and asked to wait in this big room with several chairs. At the end of the room were 4-5 desks where USCIS folks were finger printing applicants. They call your number - sometimes 2-3 numbers together. You walk up, show your GC and letter, they finger print you and return your letter and GC and you are done.

The wait for me was about 30 mins and the actual FP was about 5-10 mins.

The entire process once you get to the building was about 50 to 60 minutes.

Thanks Muku. That is very helpful.

nime1,

This is their new policy. After 10/1, you cannot even send the application to vermont any more. Please check USCIS website.

I filed one month before you and I got the normal notice (from VSC) because at that time they did not implement this policy.

Don't worry for this and I think the goal is to improve efficiency.

Did you get your Interview Date yet ?

Thanks,
Nime

Old or New Naturalization test at Newark?

I know that as per USCIS web site, anyone who has applied after Oct 1, 2008 will get new redesigned Naturalization test, irrespective of their interview date.

However applicants who has made there application before Oct 1, 2008 and has interview dates between Oct 1, 2008 and Oct 1, 2009, will get choice of either taking new test or Old test.

Its only 3 days in October, but does any one had interview in October at Newark? It would be great to know, whether you were asked to choose which test you want to take?

My Timelines with VSC/Newark

My time line listed below

Application mailed: 09/12/08
Application received: 09/15/08
Priority date: 09/15/08
Check cashed: 09/16/08
Notice date: 09/16/08
Notice received: 09/19/08
Fingerprint appt notice: 09/25/08
Fingerprint appt date: 10/17/08
Fingerprint Done: 10/01/08 (Newark ASC Walk-In)
Interview letter received: ???
Interview scheduled Date: ???