Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

thnx bob,
my DO is newark. Well, u gave a hope tht it mite take minimum 7-8 months only coz my uncle told me tht if someone apply aftr june 2007 it will take 18 months!!..tht was really depressing coz i got married last yr and my husband is in india and i m looking forward to visit him in june..

Vermont Service Center
Newark Office

Application mailed - 3/28/08
Application received - 3/31/08 3.26pm
Priority date - 4/1/08
Check cashed - unknown (used cashier check)
Notice date - 4/8/08
Notice received - 4/12/08
Fingerprint appt notice -
Fingerprint appt date -
Interview letter received -
Interview scheduled -

I am done!!! :)

I had a interview yesterday...

Applied in July 25, 2007

I had interview - April 14, 2008

I have my passport April 15, 2008 10.00 am :)

I am flying tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone and Good luck with your journey!!

Any questions, free to ask..

Congrats

Applied in July 25, 2007

I am flying tomorrow.

Congrats. Your journey is over....good for you. You had oath on the same day as your interview. I had my oath too that very same day in Atlanta right after the interview. You got your passport made today.....cool. Where are you flying? Have a safe trip.

damn. 10 months total? i thought it was closer to 6mo's at newark!

congrats- how were io's- friendly and relaxed or super attentive to details.

Applied in July 25, 2007

I am flying tomorrow.

Applied in July 25, 2007

I am flying tomorrow.

Whoa!! How did you get the passport so fast?? Have a safe journey.

Oh btw- I became a citizen today! Just came back from Newark with my Naturalization certificate. I have to go apply for passport now.

officer did not see any docs

I reached around 8:30 AM for a 9 AM appointment. Went to the window, gave the letter. Didn't get called in until around 10 AM. Spent about 30 min with the officer. He did not look at even a single doc that I carried with me. Asked me a lot of questions related to the N-400 and went back and forth between questions. By about 10:35, I was out (approved). They asked me to go to 15th floor. It was like a circus there with so many people already there. Around 12:40 PM, went in to the oath ceremony room. Approx 1 PM, took the oath and that was it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone.

The passport agency is in Downtown, Manhattan. 376 Hudson Street. You have to call the number and get a confirmation number. When you get there, they ask for that confirmation number, two photos, DS11 and airline reservation. She gives you number then you go 10th floor and wait for your number. At 8 am I gave the paperwork and at 10.00 am I got the passport. $160 is the fee. It has to be exact cash, credit card, etc.

About the interview, I had difficulty to understand the officer because of heavy accent. He was very strict and went through everything I put in N400.He asked me SSN card, passport, greencard and drivers license.

I am happy to be done with all these processes.

Good luck to all of you.

woohoo- just got an update to my status- april 10th notice sent- april 16th notice rec'd...i have my FP date on april 25th!

looking at the prior history/avg's...i expect the interview date to be somewhere around september time (not bad considering april 1st would be the priority date)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All--

I have an appointment for my interview/oath on May 16th...couple of questions for those that have gone through the process in Newark:
1) Is it possible for family members to enter the room an hour or so after I do (interview is a 7:40, wife has to drop kids at daycare, but would like to be there for the oath ceremony)?
2) Do they make you give up your cell phone, or just turn it off (as they did during fingerprint process)?
3) Do they allow cameras during the oath ceremony?
4) What times are the oath ceremonies in Newark?, and
5) If I have a Canadian passport, do I need to stress about getting a US passport too before I travel?

Thanks so much for sharing your advice,

Jonathan

heres my timeline-
hey camp, seems like ur case is progressin at good pace! congrats.
i hope to recieve my FP by next week ..this wait is really frustrating..isn't it?

Hi All--

I have an appointment for my interview/oath on May 16th...couple of questions for those that have gone through the process in Newark:
1) Is it possible for family members to enter the room an hour or so after I do (interview is a 7:40, wife has to drop kids at daycare, but would like to be there for the oath ceremony)?
2) Do they make you give up your cell phone, or just turn it off (as they did during fingerprint process)?
3) Do they allow cameras during the oath ceremony?
4) What times are the oath ceremonies in Newark?, and
5) If I have a Canadian passport, do I need to stress about getting a US passport too before I travel?

Thanks so much for sharing your advice,

Jonathan

2) They make you put it on silent. They warn you not to talk. (People still do)
3) Yes. I saw people taking pictures.
4) I had mine around 1 PM. There were still a lot of people waiting to sign and check their Nat Cert., so I guess there has to be another one later in the afternoon.

It was like a circus there on the 15th floor. Too crowded.

Dear Friends,

I am new to this board. Have a couple of quick questions and would really appreciate if someone can answer these...

1)For my citizenship application I have got my (and my wife's) interview scheduled for3rd week of May 2008. I have two kids. My first one (9 years old)is on a green card(permananent resident) and my second one was born here and is a citizen.

2)My question is during the day of my interview, do I need to take my first daughter as well. Is there any process for her to obtain her citizenship on that day? (OR) do we need to get our citizenship approvals first(and maybe our passports) and then only apply for her citizenship/passport?

3)Will the Interview and Oath ceremony be on the same day at Newark, NJ

4)Do we get the Naturalization certificate on the same day of the Interview?

5)Where do we apply for the passport after getting the Naturalization certificate and how long does it typically take to receive the US passport?

6)During the time that I am waiting to get my US passport If I have to travel to India can I still travel on My Indian Passport?

7)When are where do I need to surrender my Indian Passport? Can I keep it till I get my OCI card or getting a typical Multiple Entry Indian Visa.?

Would appreciate some quick answers. Thanks folks.

I think for your daughter who was born outside US you can apply for her passport with your passport. Based on your citizenship you can apply for your child. You can ask at your local post office for getting your passport. I dont think you can travel with your Indian passport after you are a citizen, you may get passport expedited if you have to travel urgently.

Received IL for February application. Four months from application to interview/oath. See signature for dates.

Wanted to update timeline for my spouse. Mine is in my signature.

VSC / Newark DO
N400 mailed Sep 23, 2007
NOA Dec 04, 2007
FP notice received Dec 11, 2007
FP scheduled / done Jan 25, 2008
IL received Mar 26, 2008
Interview Scheduled May 21, 2008

VSC / Newark DO seems to have speeded up for some of us.

gvjagan..congrats! tht was pretty quick...4 months?

we( me and my mom) mailed the application at the same day and received NOA last saturday. My mom recieved her FP notice this monday..but i m still waiting...!!..realy worried and hope to recieve it by end of this week.

Hi,

I have received interview letter (Newark DO) on 04/24/2008 to appear for interview on 06/10/2008.

It seems like Newark DO working like charm!

Wish you all good luck who are waiting for interview letter

11/26/07: Mailed N-400
02/06/08: FP done
03/28/08: called USCIS - informed me that Name check is cleared - in queue for interview letter
04/24/08: Rec'd interview letter
06/10/08: interview date

processing dates

I read the forums 7 years ago, when applying for GC, and have been reading them again, since I started the citizenship process.

I guess, its time to contribute. Just wanted to share the dates.

Vermont - PD 24th December, 2007
Got FP notice in end of Jan, with date of 7th Feb
We went to Newark and asked for early Finger Printing -> 1st Week Feb, 2008
Today, April 24th, we got the interview letters.
Interview is scheduled for June 12th.

Thanks